Drive Mounting problem in Bay #2

RRuskin

Rick Ruskin
I just got a used HD24 yesterday. Both supplied drives mount and operate fine in Bay # 1 but when in Bay 2 they mount and then dismount. Afterward, the display says "check jumper setting." I find nothing in the manual about a different jumper setting for Bay 2. The only thing mentioned is that all drives should be set for master/single. Any one know what's going on here?

as you are probably aware most computers want a master/slave convention for hard drives... and despite what the manual said it looks as if the machine wants it too... try setting drive 2 as a slave and see what happens... it wont toast anything.... well that i know of...

as you are probably aware most computers want a master/slave convention for hard drives... and despite what the manual said it looks as if the machine wants it too... try setting drive 2 as a slave and see what happens... it wont toast anything.... well that i know of...

Did that before posting the question. No go in either bay. Might be a problem with the internal connector but can't deal with it while other things are going on in the studio.

I have 2 hd24. It is not a jumper issue ,trust me. I have MANY times on both machines had this issue,never changed the jumpers...never.It seems the machines are not able to initilize the hard drive at time from what I can gather. Just leave the hard drives with master jumper and forget about it. If it booted up once ok its not the jumper.Sometimes I will remount hard drive and after 2 or 3 times it goes. Do not set one drive to master and the other to slave,the two bay are not related in any way.It is not like hard drives in a computer.Set both to single or master.I set to master for both,always.

I've tried all suggestions and nothing helps so far. I have
determined that any drive in bay 2 is not getting power. Swapping the
power connectors makes no difference. All ribbon connectors are
tight. Any other ideas as to what the cause(s) might be?

How did you discover this? I am having the same issues.

The tech who does almost all of my repairs followed the power supply trail in both the good and bad bays. Once the difference was found, the fix was easy. You don't need the exact Alesis part, just a transistor of the same characteristics that can be soldered in.

The tech who does almost all of my repairs followed the power supply trail in both the good and bad bays. Once the difference was found, the fix was easy. You don't need the exact Alesis part, just a transistor of the same characteristics that can be soldered in.

I hope you are all set but I dont think so. I have had this same issue on both of my hd24's. It is not all the time which would make a bad transistor not the issue.Mine was also on either bay,never a pattern. Would be fine for months then act up, the goes for both hd's I have.
The only way possibly a bad tranistor is a bad solder joint that has a crack.It could( the crack) expand as the unit heats killing the flow. But again, I hope your good but I have my concerns.

The only way possibly a bad tranistor is a bad solder joint that has a crack.It could( the crack) expand as the unit heats killing the flow. But again, I hope your good but I have my concerns.

While a bad solder joint could cause the same problem, the transistor in question on my unit had most definitely failed and no faulty junctions or traces were found.

I don't understand the phrase: The only way possibly a bad tranistor is a bad solder joint that has a crack. Are you saying transistors never fail or only fail if the joint is faulty?

i think he means transistors dont in and of themselves go intermitent...

Yeah, there you go! sorry, gunned out my post too quick. No, transistors do not work, then not ,yet a small crack in solder or circuit board could act this why when heating and cooling.
Thanks Demented for clarifying for me!:)

Yeah, there you go! sorry, gunned out my post too quick. No, transistors do not work, then not ,yet a small crack in solder or circuit board could act this why when heating and cooling.
Thanks Demented for clarifying for me!:)

Understood. That was not the problem I had, though. Is yours solved or still plaguing you?

Back