Delete One Track from a Song? HD24

Scinx

Mechanical Monkey
Say you record track 1, for 5 minutes (drum track say)...and then you record track 2-10 and those track are 3 minutes long...can you cut the first track to 3 minutes? Or will it always take up the 5 minutes?

Second, can you delete a track (say you want to delete the drum track altogether). Is that possible?

You can delete a track.

I don't understand your first question

You can "crop" tracks, if that's what you mean...

Yes and Yes

Just refer to the manual. The instruction are pretty straight forward and easy to understand. My wife can edit, cut, and punch-in 10x faster than I can. I guess because she uses it more than me.

If you'll doing a lot of editing I would get the fireport and dump the files into a DAW and edit there. Something as basic as Home Studio will work. If you'll only be editing a few tracks you can use the network connection which is pretty slow when where talking 5+ tracks

deepwater said:
My wife can edit, cut, and punch-in 10x faster than I can. I guess because she uses it more than me.

You're one lucky you know what!!!!

My wife only comes in the studio to tell me how long I've been in there and that it's time to come out. It nice when she ends it with "dinner's ready" though.

I see your point. Since your making dinner you could always crush up some sleeping pills in her food and she'll be out like a light and you'll be ready to record/mix.

Just kidding! Drugging your wife is a NO! NO!

Any tips on page numbers to look at? Ive been through the manual many times, and have not found anything that does these things I ask about.
The only thing I have ever been able to figure as far as "cropping" would be to cut tracks and paste them into another song - but nothing that would just allow me to hack off the final 2 minutes of a song. As far as deleting is concerned - alls I can figure is cutting...but then that remains in the buffer forever perhaps.

Go to the editing section, on page 55. If you don't have the right manual, let me know and I will send you a PDF.

Thanks for the help. Ive looked that section over and over and do not see anything that does what I am asking about. I see cut, not delete. I also do not see anything that would allow me to hack off the end of a track.

Its called cutting read page 59 and follow steps 1-6

95% of the time when I want to delete a track I just record over it.

Scinx,

I think I know what you are trying to do, unfortunately you can't do that using the edit functions. As far as I know cropping is not available on the HD24, you need to copy/paste what you want to keep into a new song.
Using "cut" will just record silence between your edit points.

All your tracks are kept the same size, and the longest track you ever recorded in a song will dictate the size of all tracks. In other words, the recorder doesn't keep track of (and dynamically manage) individual track lengths. I think this is by design to make it simpler to manage the cut/copy/paste/undo fucntions.

For that matter I don't think you can reduce the track count in a song either, you would need to copy your tracks into a new song with less tracks.

There is a clue on top of page 33, "A Song of a certain length takes up space even for tracks that were never recorded on".

Well, this is my understanding of the HD24, and I could be totally wrong of course.

Thanks Aspirin. You understood what I was trying to do perfect. I believe these things are possible to do either...and you seem to be confirming it...

Thanks to all others who tried to help...

Back