ANyone use the Alesis D4 - comments on it?

Lorddiagram

Hey I own an alesis D4 and have finally after two years made a nice drumset for it. I have a site dedicated to the D4 and electronic drumming at http://homepages.go.com/~drumcage It gives materials and directions on making a cage for the D4. Does any one have any intersting methods of using the triggers on a drum module if so I'd like to hear them. Thanks

Ld

[This message has been edited by sonusman (edited 09-22-1999).]

Hey there my Lord (that is so funny!)

I just wanted you to know that I did edit your message. You had a period at the end of your link that was making the link not come up. So, I changed it. Now people can get to your interesting site. So tell me, do you use the D-4 for cymbals too?

Ed

[This message has been edited by sonusman (edited 09-22-1999).]

I use the DM5 (w/Drum Tech pads) and most of the drums sound good; MOST people cannot tell the difference because so many artist use them these days in their recordings. The cymbals are tricky. A fill here or there well mixed, your ok. To do lavish cymbal, well you might as well give up. The worst ones are the crashes. The high hat sounds fine as long as the drummer does not over work them. The rides are good all day long because they naturally decay quicker than the others. Toms and kicks sound great. Like the high hat, snares sound better when played with fairly a straight rhythm.

Electronic drums has it's advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages can go without saying (Limited Dynamics). On the upside, they are VERY flexible. They are quick to setup - no mic'ing involved. Can be recorded to disk via MIDI; in turn saves HD space, frees audio tracks, easy to fix timing, insert and delete drum hits, multiple drum sets and combinations, and best of all is that you can change the drum sound to something that is more suitable to the recording during mixdown.

My goal is to get real cymbals & a snare, then trigger the remaining drums. I hear that works very well. Any other ideas?

Back