Alesis SR-16 Drum Computer Programming Different Time Signatures in one song

RobertRosenkohl

Hello Alesis SR-16 experts,
does anyone have any ideas about how to programme different time signatures in one song?
For example, the song We Can Work It Out from The Beatles is in 4/4 & 3/4 time and
the 3/4 part is also a little slower than the main part of the song.
So we actually have 2 problems here, the time signature one & the change of tempo one.
Any ideas / advice??
Thank you in advance.
Robert.

Hi, Robert, I just got mine yesterday, and tried to see if I could solve this (I joined the forum today, sorry you haven't gotten an answer in 2 years!)
So in top right I have it in Pattern 5 slot, and it should say 'User' and 'A'. I named it 'WE' (for we can work it out!). I clicked the RecordSetup button, set
1)quantize to 16th notes (can probably be done with 8ths, but just to be sure)
2)Swing select off
3)Click on 8th notes
4)Click Vol: 99
5)Velocity Loud (default)
6)004 Beat Length
7)004 Beat Start (not sure what this does, though, again, I'm less than 24 hours newbie)
8)Offset leave on default 0
9)Step Mode? Default (though I think this may be useful for something, don't know how to use it yet)
10) Named it WE

Press record setup, than click Perform/compose button to compose.
Hit play and make your beat. I did a very bad Ringo impersionnation. When you're happy with it, then:

Stop, and then click the Pattern'song button. Click 'B' button. You'll see in to right, it should have the same pattern number as the beat you just made, but under the word Pattern there is a B instead of A. It should say user there, too.

Now back into record setup button. Same as the above except:

6) 003 Beat Length
7) 003 beat start
10 (Named it WE2, as in 2nd part of WE2)

click RecordSetup to get out of it, then from compose mode, make your 3/4 beat. I did a really crappy Ringo here, but it gets the point across.

Stop when satisfied, click 'Perform', then Click A button. Press Play, it will play your first, 4/4 beat. When you want to go to 3, just click B. (Note it will not switch until it reaches the end of a measure, so may need to wait a couple beats if my counting is off)

The only way I could switch the tempos was manually when I transition. However, it sounds slowed down anyway. I'll work on that aspect and see what I can do.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'half beats' do you have a song example? The only thing I can think of now would be to subdivide the beat, down to 32nd's and break it down, but may be tricky. I also don't know if you can do more than just pattern A and B, for a song with more than two parts. I'll see what I can find as I dabble more.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to learn about about my new tool, especially with such a great song that has some really interesting rhythmic challenges.

Back