Alesis IO2, out yet? any experiences with this?

diogo

hello everyone,

im considering either this or the tascam US122...but the alesis sure looks more promising than the tascam unit...

did anyone try this yet?

how many inputs will be recordable at the same time?

will it be possible to record at 44 or 48khz? although 96khz is nice, its also gonna take up more disk space right?

i take it we can hook up an external pre to this through the balanced line ins?

is it usb 2? more like 1.1 still right? ;)

if ppl dont have this yet, when will it be out?

tanx!

ok,

Robert at Alesis was very helpful and sent me this..the manual answered all my questions, all but one..wether or not i can use external pres...by the looks - no...unless ppl want to plug the pre into the IO2 XLR's...im not sure if the 1/4" inserts will be able to take a pre..they seem destined for fx and compressors, etc..the only other inserts left are Hi Z thingies, that cannot be switched to Low Z..so i really dunno if they will take a pre...pres aint Hi Z? right?

anyway, enjoy..

http://www.alesis.com/downloads/manuals/IO2Manual.pdf

Hi,

I'm also thinking of buying it, started to think about your question about the hi-z thing and found this: http://tapeplus.com/impedancefaq.html

According to this you can use the hi-z input with lo-z output safely, i.e., no distortion, whereas hi-z output to lo-z input might create distortion so it's not safe for your signal.

So, even if your preamp is not hi-z, which I assume means doesn't have hi-z output, you can use it with the hi-z input of the io2. I guess you just have to feed it a lower signal and adjust the input level accordingly. Another way would also be to try to use the xlr-output of the preamp (if equipped) attached to the xlr-input of the io2 with the fantom switched off.

Another thing that came to my mind was that most propably whether or not you plug in to lo-z, hi-z or the inserts, the signal will go through the preamps of the io2 anyway. Of course, the manual didn't have any schematics so I can't be 100% sure about that, but I'm optimistic :) .

I'd be very interested in any answers you got from alesis regarding your other questions. Could you post something related to those?

Best regards,
-Pekka

hello Pekka,

how's the weather up there? ;)

the Hi-z article is very cool, might help us draw some conclusions, i shall read it with more time, but didnt want to leave without saying something...

the only way i see, that we'll be able to use an external preamp with this, is through the Hi-z jacks...

on the other hand, the inserts would be a cool option, but i dont think they are inserts per se, they seem to affect the main signal, wich is the preamp one...the manual clearly states that processors shall be used in the inserts, so i would think that this is somekind of "half hearted" insert, if there can be such a thing...it wont work alone, or may not harvest the best results..i dont even know if its possible to make it work alone, i really dont think so...but if thats so, it wont be any different like, having the insert there or simply put the compressor between the preamp and the interface and affecting the sound on the way in...i really dunno...but i dont think the inserts can be used on their own.

yep..schematics would be nice right :rolleyes: in terms of common sense, i dunno, i really think you're right..the Hi-z signal will still pass through the pres, its only logical.

alesis was kind enough to give me the manual, but hasnt been able to tell anything specific, wich is driving me crazy, but i know they really cant offer more at this point..they say that the product is still on R&D and can spec out different still..changes can still occur, so they cant say anything yet..it seems that the manual is a temporary one, not the definitive yet. i asked very specific questions, including the preamp one, and the internal being bypassed or not, and no answer was given cause of the reason mentioned above.

its really a setback, cause im going with either this or the tascam us122, wich, at this point is old technology. im sure the alesis unit is much better in terms of converters, they have a reputation at that, even pres (their usb mixer gets raved reviews in terms of sound) but i would have no use for internal pres :/ plus i have a hard time waiting. im still not totally into the tascam side, but not very far out.

with all this said, their replies are strange, cause thomann in germany says they're selling these things on July the 20th, and Alesis says they will only ship the unit come August...so you see...strange.

if you do get it, please let me know, i really need to know how's the interface response to external pres. what are you planning to use with it?

i guess we could always use the old "plug into the preamp and turn the gain down on the interface" trick..i did it with my crappy fostex MR8 when i had it, plugging in a DMP3, and it worked...but i get the felling that, by doing this kind of thing, you're never really using the external pre to its max potential..

Olá Diogo!

You asked about the weather: We are having an unusual heatwave of up to 30 degrees right now. I guess that would not be unusual for your country :) .

I thought more about the issue and looked the manual again. :)

The io2 manual under "top panel connections" on page 5 states that:
5. Insert - The insert jack allows you to insert a compressor, EQ, or any other
signal processor in between IO|2’s preamplifier and the A/D converter.

and under the "guitarist/singer hookup" -diagram on page 8:
6. Insert – The IO|2 allows you to easily insert an additional processor such as a
reverb or compressor in your recording path. Simply use a TRS to dual-TS “insert
cable” to connect the additional device to the IO|2’s insert jack.

I would deduct from these 2 sentences that there indeed is a way in theory to bypass the preamp using the inserts, and feed directly to the A/D converters. In practice, I guess one would need to do it with an insert cabel with the other mono jack left unplugged or create a special cable with stereo plug on one end and mono plug on the other end so that the mono feeds the "input" of the insert (don't remember if it's left or right), but anyway something like that, what do you think? I'm starting to feel somewhat confident it might work. However, you might have to "fool" the io2 and feed a null signal into the inputs if it for some reason doesn't "activate" the inserts when there's nothing plugged into the inputs, e.g., hi-z or lo-z. Again, a diagram of the internals would be nice.

Also, a problem with the insert is that you might not be able adjust the input level (have to check the manual on that). Of course, if you're using your own preamp you can do it from there. Nevertheless, this might prevent you to drive the preamp with a large gain in order to get the desired effect, or the other way around. Nothing about the levels of the inserts in the manual :confused: .

Now, if the inserts are "true" inserts (again, I'm optimistic :) about that), i.e., not any effect-loop-insert hybrids which was also how I understood them for some reason when reading the manual for the first time. Then, taken these 2 sentences as valid with great confidence, we can deduce that indeed a signal connected to hi-z or lo-z both goes through the preamps because otherwise it would not get to the inserts which take the signal from the preamps and which you can use (I again assume) with any input in the io2 (not sure though about the digital input case, have to check that one also).

I agree that the manual should still be improved. For example, when I read Tascam manuals, I'm always astonished how well they are written.

I'm planning to get it once Thomann has it available, let's see when that will be then :confused: . Currently, I'm planning to use it between my reel-to-reel and tascam cd-burner so I can edit the cd-track lengths/levels etc. on the computer before burning. This, of course, brings up other questions related to the spidf interface which I may still have to check before buying.

Lot's of words around a little box, no?

Last edited:
hey Pekka..i wish i could say hi in finish..is it finish? i know the portuguese word for the ppl of finland, but not the english one :rolleyes:

ill just say..jary litmanen.. ;)

well..i have a better football team so..i dont need to know how to say hi ;) :D

you really seem to take the same aproach as i into these things..i really get into the damn machine, and obcess over it, and know every little detail...im trying not to do that with the alesis one cause i know that, when i do, i end up buying the thing..

this to say that, with all this confusion, and the inability that alesis is showing in knowing their own product (understandable but, i dont have the patience :D ), i dont want to obcess about the alesis, when i can go with the tascam and start tracking much faster, wich i havent done in a while you know...to my common sense, the sound difference is not going to be night and day, especially cause ill be using external pres. i really like the insert option, its cool, but even that is not clear..how would one be able to affect the sound..in real time? by locking the effect in the software? can it be taken back? wont that be the same as just putting the compressor or whatever after the preamp and into the alesis? can one insert afect both xlrs, in case ppl dont have two compressors, or two fx units, or stereo fx units?

you know... :rolleyes: this is going to be like everything..one fella has to buy the thing, and show everyone how it works...i really like the concept, thats why i dont have the tascam yet...but my patience is not gonna last for very long, im sure, especially cause, no matter how better the alesis unit is, i know its not gonna be a world of difference, and at this level, i really dont care about recording at 96khz or just 48khz - wich is fine..ill be using this for my personal demos..if i can justify an upgrade, it will be something like an RME digiface or whatever its called..

i really hope you suceed in the attempt of bypassing the pres Pekka...you seem to know what you're talking about, and i find it very logical as well...but i cant take the risk, cause i wont be able to ship it back to thomann if im not happy with it (they let you return within 30 days, but you obviously have to pay shipping costs back and forth and im really short on cash for that)...you should watch out for one thing though..i dunno a thing about it, but i always hear ppl talking about inputs being +4db or -10db...if those things are -10db i wont be able to use my preamps (i think, correct me if im wrong), and neither will you :/

i forsee some trouble with thomann though..either they wont have the unit come july 20th, or alesis is lying, and i wouldnt imagine why :confused: maybe the august date is for the US only, but still it wouldnt make any sense, cause he said the machine might still suffer some changes...that doesnt make sense with 14 days to hit thomann..

im usually wrong, but i dont remember seeing a spdif there Pekka...double check that ;)

get it, and let me know E V E R Y T H I N G :D

im not sure if ill hold the tascam thought up until you have your alesis..but ill try ;)

Diogo, we have better hockey team than you ;) . In english it's "Finns" and in finnish hello is "hei" so you almost had it right :D . I can speak spanish so I'm able to understand portuguese a little bit also :) . Some day I'd like to learn more because I like the tonality of portuguese.

Anyway, I was also thinking about the tascam and I'm sure the sound quality in both units is just fine but I need that spidf, which the tascam doesn't have so if nothing revolutionary happens I'll propably get the io2 (once available). Generally, I like alesis products and I'm sure the guys at alesis have done it well. Right now the io2 is "calling" me :) and if I get it I'll try the bypassing hack and let you know then.

I think you can try it out also if you like because once you return it to thomann within 30 days, they actually do pay you back all postage fees. I know because I've done that 2 times. Once with a melodica and another time with a keyboard bag. Both were in perfect order but I just didn't need them.

I don't think -10dB will be a problem. I have inputs gradually adjustable from -10dB to +4dB in my mixer and normally I have it at -10dB. Only for one old analog delay unit I need to raise the input about half way in order to get a decent signal. I don't think I've ever raised the input level up to +4dB. What kind of preamps do you have?

-Pekka

hei Pekka,

what kind of hockey? ;) we're the world champions of hockey did u know? seriously! :D that hockey thats played on wood floors.

Finns..right! i kind of knew that..i think...

portuguese is very neutral..spanish has a tick tick accent, very agressive (not in a bad way, just the sound of it) sound to it as im sure you know...portuguese is neutral, melow tone..not many particular tick accents, just up north.

the tascam...you know, im sure the alesis sounds better, i really am, but when using outboard gear i figure its just not gonna sound that different..ill still hang on to my money till u get yours though ;) i hope you dont mind. i guess the spdif would come in handy for me as well cause ill want to interface an outobard fx box in there sometime, let's see..

thomann, i had no idea they would refund the shipping costs as well..thats good to know ;)

my preamp, its a M-audio dmp3, and later its gonna be the new electro harmonix mic pre...it should be ok i guess..

one more thing Pekka..i emailed thomann saying that alesis wont put the thing out till august and they havent answered yet, wich is typical, for the life of me i cant get them to answer any of my emails quickly...i think that, when they dont have a reply, they dont even answer lol wich is funny, cause they're a great store..akward, but what the heck..anyway, still no reply..but i emailed alesis again saying thomann will have it by july 20th and its actually stated on the thomann site..and folks at alesis had this to say:

Hello,

The I/O2 has not even entered Beta Testing yet. I’m showing it as shipping late Sept.

Robert C. Ray

Supervisor - Alesis/Akai/Numark/Ion

Technical Support and Return Authorizations

200 Scenic View Dr.

Suite 201

Cumberland, RI 02864

rray@alesis.com

Phone 401-658-5760

Fax 401-658-3640

:rolleyes:

Diogo, I didn't know there was another hockey other than ice hockey, although, once I saw something on tv resembling hockey but it was played on some dusty field.

Now, this release date and the io2 not even having entered beta testing yet makes me worried. I had planned to get it earlier but let's see what happens. All in all, this is very good to know! Thanks for the update.

I checked the manual of the dmp3 and yes it supports both +4dB (balanced out) and -10dB (unbalanced out) outputs, so you don't have to worry about that. That's a funny system: when inputting TSR stereoplug it becomes balanced and with TS monoplug it's unbalanced, hmm smart. I wasn't aware electroharmonics makes pres also. I'll check it out later.

Have a nice weekend!

hei Pekka,

yes there's another hockey..actually there's two more..one is field hockey..played in england, australia, etc...we have nothing to do with it ;) then there's normal hockey, wich is played with normal skates (not ice skates), in a normal ring, like the ones you would play basketball and handball in, wood floors...its very very big in southern europe...and we're the world champions :D

i hate the damn thing though lol very violent.

the alesis..beta testing...the works...i really dunno...either alesis is lying, or thomann got a counterfeit shipment ;) wich wouldnt be akward at all in the world we're livin in these days...but, my bet is that alesis is not really giving a damn...we're probably the only ppl that showed interest for the new box lol jk

still..i dunno, its weird..but you buy from thomann, so you know they will front the goods come july 20th...you should be ok...im more and more inclined to the tascam at this point, cause i know it does what i need it to do, wich is interface the outboard pres...but i really did want to get something more reliable and well built..but if the alesis one cant do what i want, then ill have to go with the tascam. either way, im waiting one more month still..so plenty of time for you to let me know what you think of yours Pekka ;)

tanx for checking the dmp3 out for me...i have misplaced the manual so thats very helpful! electro harmonix makes a new all tube mic pre that is supposed to be absolute gold (although some "ppl" on this forum might disagree with enthusiasm not directly related to high end gear, and that a pre that costs less than 200 bucks can give a 1000 dollar one a run for its value)..im gonna have it as soon as i can afford it.

sorry for the late response...been college busy all week :(

Pekka,

just thought u should know that Thomann is no longer offering the IO2 on july 20th..guess alesis was right :rolleyes:

Back