alesis i02 express - distortion on channel 2

dmt

I am a novice recorder, so please forgive my ignorance, but perhaps someone can help me. I just purchased an alesis i02 express audio interface via usb yesterday. I can get the xlr and the line inputs to work just fine on channel one. But on channel 2 the signal comes in so faint and if I turn the gain up any higher, I get distorted sound - on both the xlr and line inputs. I have manipulated every combination I can possibly think of to get an appropriate balance between the two channels. But even if I have the first channel's gain way down low and the 2nd channel's gain way up high, my balance is all off - not to mention getting a distorted sound on the 2nd channel. I've tried the mic on channel 1 and piano on channel 2 - and I've also tried it alternatively with the piano on channel 1 and the mic on channel 2. I get the same unbalanced results and weak signal from channel 2 in either combination.

I called the place where I bought it from, and he said it sounded like a faulty box. So I exchanged it - but the new product is giving me the same problems - so I can only assume it's me, given the high reviews I've seen on this product. Any suggestions?

Have you messed with the MIC/LINE-GUITAR and DIGITAL-ANALOG switches? Can you post a sample of the channel two sound?

Back