Alesis i/o2

ransom180

I've had my i/o2 for probably 5 years now ands served my pretty well for most of the pre production that i do however recently its been going abit AWOL and im having problems with drivers and such and dont get me started on how annoying it was to get it to work with windows 7.

ive seemed to have problems with crackling pots ( i suppose thats probable because its 5 years old ) is there anyway of opening it up and replacing pots?
also there is a substantially high noise floor on it and its driving me crazy getting clean vocal tracks from it (has anyone used it and had the same problem)

and the awkward question that is normally asked between i/o2 users ...are there any decent drivers out there for it rather then the asio4all one ?

cheers guys

Despite its often criticized 'plasticky' appearance the io2 is a substantially built unit. To get into it you need to remove the four screws from the base, pull all the knobs off and unscrew the nuts on the spindles, on the five input jack sockets and on the two output jack sockets. This is not difficult to do and if you're prepared to do it you should be able to get at the potentiometers. They will all be standard carbon track types available from any electronic component suppliers and should be replaced like for like not only in resistance value but log for log and lin for lin. If you're competent with a soldering iron this will be a straightforward DIY job.

I've never had a problem with high noise floor on mine, and I should have though it unlikely that this is down to any deterioration of your io2 which, apart from the aforementioned pots, is a largely digital device electronically.

I've always run mine with ASIO4all and have never had reason to look for other drivers. Do you have problems with ASIO4all?

Back