ADATs: To Link or Not to Link?

Jack Russell

I smell home cookin!
[That Is the Question]
I'm about to be doing a recording project: a CD of a three-piece band. I own 2 LX20 ADATs. The question is: record on 8 tracks using one machine, and keep things simple, or link them together to get 16 tracks, with more complexity?

ADATs are great, but my experience with the older Black Face machine is that they can be quirky and tempermental. So, I'm a bit hesitant to link the LX20s for the first time. I'm not sure I trust that they'll hold up through a 12-song project over many weeks of use.

So, please share your experiences with linkage: Good or bad?

I used 4 XT20 in tandem for several years before getting the HD24 -- worked fine.......!

(Hint - That ability to link together was pretty much a key design consideration for the whole ADAT format anyways!! That's where the term Modular Digital Multitrack - MDM - came from and was really the whole point of their existence!!!!!!)

Cool. Nice to hear that the darn things do what they are supposed to. I hate it when stuff craps out, like my Dell computer, which was supposed to be so great when I bought it. :eek:

Thanks!

Back