ADAT vs Stand alone systems

Jim Marquard

Wow, glad to see this forum because I have been giving ADAT a lot of consideration lately. At one time I was convinced to go Roland VS but having talked to a dealer who sells both ADAT and Roland stuff he said go with the ADAT--especially the ADAT Studio pack. What's your opinion? I would really appreciate any info you may have. Also, any experience with the new ML 9600 that Alesis just put out this summer? Cost? Value?

Peace, Jim

It really depends on what you are after in a modular multi-track system. The Roland is going to give you as many 'virtual' tracks as the hard drive will hold for any track that you can monitor. It also give you access to these tracks for on board editing and what not. But, that doesn't mean that it is the better choice on that merit alone. A $600 sound card with ADAT optical I/0 will give you the same thing. Plus, ADAT SVHS tape is getting to be pretty damn cheap.

ADAT will offer you expandability down the road. You can just add another 8 tracks when you can afford it. That is when the fun begins. You can now back up tapes, bounce tracks around. Combine tracks (of course they would need to be mixed on some kind of mixer, preferably a hard drive system). With the BRC you expand into Pro capabilities that few other stand alones offer. ADAT is also supported by almost all professional studios. If you have tracks that you think are killer, and just need a big studios mixing capabilities, you can with ADAT. With the Roland unit, you can, but, as I recall, the in's and out's are all -10 unbalanced. This will not work to well with professional studios for a number of reasons.

Anyway, you should be aware that to get the most out of your ADAT's, you will need to do a few things that may not be included with the Studio Pack thing they sell. First and foremost, YOU HAVE TO RUN THE ADAT'S ON THE +4 ELCO CONNECTIONS TO GET THE BEST SOUND!!! I can't stress this enough! If you are going to run an ADAT with the -10 RCA connections, you should just get a 4-track cassette and be regulated to doing cheap demo work..... :) The +4 input obviously gives you another 14 db of record level, and that will bring your recordings up to snuff with the big boys (at least in the record level stand point). This will mean more dynamic range, and much better fidelity. But it comes at a price. You have to by the Elco to XLR or 1/4" TRS cable. Also, the console you are using must support input and outputs for those balanced in's and out's that the Elco will use. I believe that the Alesis console does support plus +4 I/O via 1/4" TRS connections.

Now about that studio pack. I am not so sure I would throw my money that way. What a neat idea though. All in one package recording! Basically, their console is kind of lame, and their monitors are not worth the money. Let's not even get into the compressors and their low end effects. They are just not that good.

Let me propose something that you will pay a bit more for, but will serve you a whole lot better.

An XT-20 (about $2000 if you shop around), Event 20/20 passive monitors (aobut $350 a pair), a Behringer Composer (about $250), an Alesis Quadraverb 2 (around $800), and the new Allen and Heath Mix Wizard console (around the price of a similar mackie, but smoother sounding). You will need the Elco connection (about $150), a monitor power amp (the QSC USA stuff works well), some odd cables here and there for running to the power amp, mic lines, and insert cables for the compressor.

A system like this will deliver very nice sound. Augment it with an ART Dual MP, and you can really start to slam some stuff to tape. Add the BRC and an extra XT-20, now you are talking some nice capabilities.

Anyway, I would look at the XT-20's seriously. Forget about that silly old LX-20. -10 recording is just not where it is at for a number of reasons. I always use the saying that an owner of a sound company I used to work at used when talking about audio gear, or anything for that matter, "If you buy cheap, you buy twice". Words to live by.

Good luck.
Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

Does the XT-20 handle the conversion from 8-track digital format to stereo S/PDIF
on that $600 sound card? Do you have to define some mixdown from the 8 channels? Or transfer them two at a time? Is your quite reasonable proclamation about not using the unbalanced outs on the ADAT an indication that it won't work with a Gina?

Most sound cards in that price range will handle all 8 tracks at once, if the computer system can handle that much input at once.

If it has ADAT optical I/O, you don't need to worry about S/PDIF. All that the card is doing is coverting the proprietary ADAT digital information to .wav, AIFF, or RAW format. Usually these cards will provide an AES/EBU or S/PDIF stereo I/O.

About the Gina card issue. Of course it will work with it. But that means you are going to be using the D/A converters on the ADAT, then the A/D converters on the Gina to get onto the computer. Now I know that salesmen clain that you can't hear the difference in the tracks, but they couldn't convince me of that. When demostrated, the tracks on the hard drive sounded, well, digital. A better solution is to go to hard drive through an digital optical connection. But this is really the point of using the the XT-20's +4 outputs that I was trying to make. If you are going to be mixing with an analog console, this is where using +4 is desirable.

Anyway drstrawl, I am not sure where you are going with your questions. Maybe clarify for me?

Ed

e

Just that Gina has S/PDIF coaxial input and output. I've seen an optical S/PDIF in action between two CD players. It was just a stereo pair being sent. Is ADAT optical a different
data format?

I see where you are going with this now.Yes, Alesis has a proprietary digital format. They use the optical cable as a way to interface with other digital equipment. No, the Gina doesn't have ADAT Optical I/0. Although, it does use the same type of cable. You would need to get into something like a Frontier Dakota card, which has 2 ADAT I/0's, as well as a S/PDIF I/0. It lists for $865, but I am sure a little shopping would produce a $700 card for you. :)

That's all from me on this.

Good luck

Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

[This message has been edited by sonusman (edited 09-14-1999).]

Any web address on that card maker? Sounds like a competitor in the Aark 20/20+ price range since that unit has 8 analog ins/outs switchable for Bal +4dBu/Unbal -10dBv as well as coaxial S/PDIF, Toslink Optical I/O, MIDI I/O and the option to add:
ADAT optical I/O, ADAT sync. And with a separate PCI card, TDIF I/O.

LOL.....I think that I must be getting a bit of blond in me or something.... :)

I have tried backtracking to find the website that had that card. I remember that the store was in Seattle or something like that, but for the life of me, I can't find the site again. Oh well. I think that the point is, you can find quality, feature rich cards, that are affordable with a bit of research. Many times, the best equipment available is only slightly more than the next model down. The good stuff is seldom hyped to the consumer market because of the price tag. Also, the lower end products have a much better mark up for all involved. The catch is that it is ofter hard to find info about higher end products. Anyway, I am rambling. The discussion really started as a comparison between ADAT and stand alone sytems. I still believe that ANY tape based format offers the best bang for the buck for someone that is looking to expand down the road. Also, an ADAT will retain a much better resale value, as well as be easier to resell down the road if the user decides to get out of the equipment. Also, tape decks just offer expandability with the overall system than stand alones. So if the person decides to pursue recording at a higher level, which is inevitable if they stay with it for a while, it is much better to throw money on a system that can expand. Stand alones just don't really offer that kind of flexibility, even if they offer some features built in that a tape based system doesn't have. The tape based system will offer better overall quality, flexibility, value. If you need more capabilities, adding to it has many cost effective solutions that stand alones don't offer.

Anyway, rambling again.

Ed Rei

Back