Is the ADAT Studio Pack a "Good" deal?

Dom Franco

I definetly want an ADAT. Is the Studio Pack a Good deal? For just $500 more you get a mixer, compressor and reverb unit plus cables!

Dom Franco

I bought one, and it really wasn't a bad deal. The board is okay, not great but it works well with the LX20. The ADAT and the board are probably the only pieces that you'll use long term though. The compressor that comes with it is virtually useless, I've already replaced it. The reverb has some good sounds, but it's not very flexible.
The advantage to buying it is that you're ready to start recording right away. It gives you all basics except for sound sources and a way to monitor it.
Bottom line is if you need to wait a while before buying higher quality signal processors, it'll give you something to use in the interim. If you decide to buy it just do so knowing that you'll probably be wanting to drop another grand or two in the future.

I think if you don't have any other gear and want to get started with little hassle and $$$ ... then this is a good starter's package.
Alesis has good quality equipment. For being the 'base' model, I think the LX20 is very functional. I have 2 synced together and have no need or desire for an XT20.
The nano-compressor and reverb strike me as bare bones units ... with very little abilty to customize. However, the flip-side is that they seem to be very easy to use.

I'd say that if you've been around recording for a while and have used and heard higher-end equipment, you may outgrow the outboard gear quickly and therefore may want to set up your own system. But if you are new to recording ... this is a good first step. It looks to be both functional and easy to use.

Thanks for the replies! I just purchased the ADAT alone and saved the $500 bucks for more toys later on.

Sincerely'

Dom Franco

Back