adat problems

SilentSound

My upper, older adat likes to wheeze when the stop is engaged and rewinding. When it's disengaged it rewinds fine. A touch slower than the newer one, but fine. Any ideas???

Hmmmmmmm.....When was the last time it was cleaned and serviced? When was the last time the idler wheel was replaced? Basically, ADAT's are glorified VCR's, and it is a know fact that the motors eventually start to labor after much use.

Also, is it only one a certain tape, or is it every tape? I have found that Ampex tape tends to make some pretty weird noises. I use Maxell Professional ST-182BQ almost exclusively, and have never had a tape problem with it ever. The Ampex tapes I used in the beginning seemed to have all sorts of problems.

Anyway. After about 1500 hours on the heads, time to get a checkup on the old Black Face's. The XT's seem to have some very inherent transport problems. As with any ADAT, you just have to work the hell out of them in the beginning, while still under warantee to get all the bugs out if you are unfortuneate enough to get a machine with a bad transport. This stuff happens on this machine.

Hope this helps.
Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

Back