Tascam 388 vs Akai mg-1212

Herr Joachim

If i'm not mistaken the akai has pan controls, so that an external mixer
wouldn't be necessary. And the "exclusive low noise crystal ferrite super GX
multi-track heads" sound magic. Tape speed and track tape width is the same.
Spare parts might be an issue with the akai.

Which would you choose?

Have a nice time.

Based on recording media alone, you'd have to go with the 388 as getting your hands on 1/4" tape is still reasonably cheap and available. Trying to find blank beta tape shells loaded with bias compliant audio tape is a major treasure hunt and pain in the ass.

Both units have pan pot controls as well, so that part of your thread doesn't factor into the decision.

And, as far as the heads go, I guess TASCAM could have spent more time on coming up with fancier names for the head designs but in reality, their heads are highly respected because of their sound and build quality as apposed to their marketing hype.

Cheers! :)

Thanks.

Forgive my newbieness, but why would i need a mixer for the 388 if there are
pan controls? Wouldn't recorder and preamp be sufficient?

Herr Joachim said:
Thanks.

Forgive my newbieness, but why would i need a mixer for the 388 if there are
pan controls? Wouldn't recorder and preamp be sufficient?
You don't need a mixer with the 388 as it has one built in.

Have you ever seen a 388?

Hmm, i could have sworn i had seen posters asking for what mixer
to get for their 388. Thanks for clearing up my dillusions!

About the akai, i have seen a couple of places that sell unused
tapes for the player, and it seems they show up on ebay now and
then as well (right now there are 6).

Have a nice evening.

Keep in mind that those tapes you saw on ebay were for older stock and with older tape comes the very real possibility of the tape needing to be baked because of a design flaw in the formulations of many older audio tapes called Sticky Shed Syndrome...basicly, the oxide layer of the tape is held to the backing of the tape with a glue which can revert to it's original semi-liquid state if exposed to adverse temperature and humidity conditions while it was in storage. The tape can be baked back to a healthy condition which basically dries the glue once again but it's a tedious procedure to put yourself through and finding a mother load of six tapes is not really a grand quantity of product.

Also keep in mind that many claims to a product's fitness are made by ebay sellers and in many cases these people are either wrong or downright deceitful in their presentations of what they're trying to sell you. Were the tapes pictured in their original cellophane wrappers? Factory sealed?

1/4" open reel tape is genuinely available brand new in the box from reputable retailers and you can buy as much of it as your heart and wallet can afford.

Herr Joachim said:
If i'm not mistaken the akai has pan controls, so that an external mixer
wouldn't be necessary. And the "exclusive low noise crystal ferrite super GX
multi-track heads" sound magic. Tape speed and track tape width is the same.
Spare parts might be an issue with the akai.

Which would you choose?

Have a nice time.

Both machines are of the all-in-one mixer/recorder approach.

At one time I would have been happy to snatch up an Akai MG1212 or 1214. A rare find could still come along, but the Akai unit is not supported by the manufacturer and, as Jeff said, tapes are a big hurdle.

Support for the 388 is quite extensive. Many of the transport parts are the same as used in the TEAC X-Series machines, so spares are abundant. The reel motors, drive motors, brakes, reel tables and guides are the same. The heads for the 388 are discontinued, but in almost every other way the 388 is a safer buy. Be sure of the heads… that they have not seen too much use or at least have a couple relaps to go.

Twelve tracks are certainly attractive but if the transport isn’t working and you can’t find tape there is no advantage over 8 working tracks on a 388.

In the final analysis it depends on the particular machine you’re looking at and not the pros and cons of the models in general. There are still some little-used specimens of either model being found under beds, in attics, basements, churches, etc. So, just get a good one of whatever it is. Finding tape is still usually a deal killer for the Akai.

:)

Back