recommended 4-track reel-to-reels? Akai? TEAC?

Speeddemon

I was looking for a decent 2- or 4-track reel-to-reel for recording guitars, drums and for mastering on. I've been looking at the Akai GX-635D and GX-646, are those any good? Any other recommendations? Budget around $300.

I picked up my teac for 10.00 at a swap meet 10years ago and its still going fine.

Funny thing about it was that one of the tracks wasnt working, due to the fact that it was a 1/2" machine and I had 1/4" tape loaded on it for the longest time.:rolleyes:

Speeddemon said:
I was looking for a decent 2- or 4-track reel-to-reel for recording guitars, drums and for mastering on. I've been looking at the Akai GX-635D and GX-646, are those any good? Any other recommendations? Budget around $300.

Yo' Demon-of-Speed, I hope you noticed my "Happy Boit-Day"
thread and reply in the Cave!!!:cool: ;) :cool:

If you didn't, again, Happy Be-Lated Boitday!!!:cool:

darrin probably got the deal of the century with $10 for a 1/2" tape recorder,...

and btw, what 1/2" recorder was it?

Speedy, a nice used Tascam 34B can be had for about $300, and it's a great 4-track machine for that price. Going a little further down on the food chain, there's also Tascam 22-4, which currently can be had at about $130, and is quite a deal at that price.

If you're leaning more toward stereo mixdown/mastering on the R/R [as opposed to 4-track], then the Tascam 32 or 22-2 would be a very nice purchase,... both being 1/4" half-track mastering decks, with the 32 obviously being the higher-end deck than the 22-2.

The main difference between the 30-Series and the 22-Series is size, weight and budget. The 30-Series uses 7" or 10.5" reels, and is heavy and built like a tank. The 22-Series is smaller, lighter and runs only 7" reels,... [budget meaning lower cost of 7" reel tape].

O.k. guys an update:
I can get an Akai GX230D for around $30
I can get an Akai GX646D for around $375
I can get a Studer B67 for around $525...

which will retain it's value the best? The Studer?

I attached a pic of the Akai GX646D, looks damn awesome to me. Can also work as a stereo 1/4" master recorder, but max tape speed is 7 1/2ips. The Studer will probably work also at 15ips right? But $525 is a shitload of money, but I do get the Studer name on my gearlist... ;)

Attachments

• akai gx-646.jpg
    akai gx-646.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 110
i like your idea... get some fat analogue sounding drums, guitars and vox... then you coudl theoretically dump them into digital and retain the tape sound, yes?

Hey Speedy -

Of the two you mentioned, I'd go for TEAC.

Personally, I've had nothing but great results with my A-3440S 1/4" 4 track and A-3300-2T 1/4" 1/2 track. I haven't used them in years (started doing the ADAT thing when the black-face units came out many years ago). They never let me down, and sounded GREAT on drums and bass and anything else needing a healthy dose of phat!

Hey Kidklash, do you know the Philips N4520? It's a 1/4" 4 tracker, that can be switched to a stereo machine, has a digital time-meter, VU meters, runs at 3 3/4;7 1/2 and 15ips... I can get one for €350 (US$370) incl. manual, reels and adapters...

BTW, I just saw an Akai GX635D getting sold on Ebay for $475, and I might be able to pick one up for like $300... Maybe I could start a little business here...

The Tascam and Teacs aren't that wide available here, I can get some Revoxes (A77 and B77) for around $200-250...
How are those? I'm interested in the 2tr. Hi speed-versions...

Hi Speedy,

I'm not familiar with the Philips N4520, but the features sound interesting.

Here in the states, Teac/Tascam were the brands that "serious minded" home recordists went after, if they couldn't afford a Revox or Otari.

The Akai units didn't last as long, and seemed to be a little on the crude side.

Dokorder was popular for a while, but the brand seemed to dissappear within a few years.

Revoxes (Studer) are GREAT machines... built to last forever. About the only thing you'll ever need to replace are rubber parts (pinch roller, belts, etc.). They were built on cast metal frames too, which helped keep the machine in alignment. Many Revox 1/4" 2 track machines are still in use as mastering decks. If you can find a good Revox 2 track high speed unit for $200, it's a great buy!

Back