Question for AKAI DPS16 Users

MAC2

I was wondering if anyone else familiar with the AKAI DPS16 knows if there is a software upgrade available from AKAI that would enable mix automation. (Play back stored scenes with differing mix parameters automatically))According to the manual it says the machine will store scenes but you have to send it to another digital device (computer?) to achieve mix automation. Any help would be appreciated.

It stores 8 scenes per project (song), and the way to recall the different scenes is to record them into a sequencer. Otherwise, they are used so you can store different mixes for the same song, and decide at mixdown which one you like the best. I'm not sure if the current software update changes that or not.

You can automate the volume and panning in real time by recording them into a sequencer. I use a Roland MC-300 hardware sequencer to record volume by moving the faders in real time, after I press RECORD on my sequencer. It's really easy once you sync the Akai with a sequencer. Any sequencer that has MMC (MIDI Machine Control) or MTC (MIDI Time Code) will work. Most all sequencers have one or both. Page 134 and 137 explain how to sync things together.

I don't have the current update from the website but I will download it this weekend. By all means, get a sequencer program for your computer if you don't have one, or buy an inexpensive hardware sequencer. Synths with onboard sequencers work too.

Good Luck

I'm considering getting the DPS16 and I have a related question. If I mix down without a sequencer, am I stuck with the scene I chose at the start or can I call up other scenes as the song plays back? (And will I be able to call them up in a timely fashion during playback?)

I'm almost positive that you can't call up new scenes as a song plays, unless you are using a sequencer. So, if you aren't using a sequencer you are stuck with the scene you chose at the beginning of the song. Akai is coming out with MESA software(Windows) to offer full mixing automation. A don't use a PC in my studio so I'm not interested in that. I am suprised at the lack of automation for such a full-featured recorder, and I wouldn't be suprised if the newer OS updates won't include some of these things.

If anyone has the latest udpate, please let us know what changes have been made.

WideAwake: Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check out and compare some sequencers as we don't use a pc either on our recordings. If you D/L anything pertinent from the website this weekend could you post another reply? Futuredays: In reference to your related question I tried using the scene feature on the AKAI and then playing the tracks back and it had no effect at all. I also was amazed that the unit has the capability to store scenes but nothing in the programming to allow you to make use of them!(without purchasing another piece of equipment)

Back