Help me please! I want to buy a digital recording studio (korg d3200 or akai dps24)

itike97

So, hi everyone
I'm a new guy around here, and I'd like to record my own music. I'm interested in buying a digital recording studio Korg d3200 or akai dps24...Which is better? And I'd like to record my complete band with them, is it possible to make a decent recording with live drums, and so on and so on? What kind of mics should i buy?
Does it have to be a big room, to make a good recording, and does the room have to be sound proof? Because the drums sound pretty loud...so I don't know anything about home recording...Please help me!

Both are older discontinued digital recorders, I assume you have seen used ones somewhere. The fact that you are asking basic questions - mics, room, etc - tells me you're not ready to record a whole band live this way.
What's your total budget? Do you have a half-decent computer that could be used for recording, rather than buying a stand-alone recorder?
Start by reading all the sticky threads at the top of the forums. Read before buying anything.

Yes, I've seen them used on ebay.com, and I would like everything (including mics etc.) used, because I'am on a low budget, namely 800 pounds.
What do you mean I'm not ready? Both despite the fact that they're old, they still good recorders aren't they? Yes, I know that I'm not qualified in his area, btu that's why I'm asking for some help...
So, I am thinking to buy a pair of shure sm 57's sm 58 for the vocal and a drum mic set.
It doesn't have to be a perfect recording, just enjoyable! Thanks in advance,

What do you have for band equipment at this point - PA system with mixer, any mics?

You might do better recording the band performing/practicing live with a simple stereo digital recorder like a Zoom or Tascam at this point. Multitracking - on a stand-alone or on a computer requires a lot of learning.

So I have nothing except a drum kit, guitars of course, amplifiers, bass guitar etc...
But I don't have any mixer PA system..nothing..
So that's why I thought that the korg d3200 could be for me, because as far as I know, it's a complete studio in a box...
So what do I need for that kind of solution apart from the unit and the mics? (monitors or something like that?)

Ok, I guess some bands rely on renting PA systems when they play out, but how do you practice?

For the basics (again, do some reading before buying anything):

Some type of recording device - this can be a stand-alone recorder, or a computer with DAW (recording software) and an interface to get audio converted over to digital. The two multitrack recorders you are looking at are many years old, so if they break, you're probably going to end up throwing them in the trash, because they may be unrepairable, or cost more than they are worth to fix.

Microphones or DI boxes - to get vocals, miced amps or direct-input instrument signals into the recording device. You're going to need different mics for each application, for example Shure SM58 for vocals, Shure SM57 for micing an instrument amp, minimum of 4 mics for micing a drum kit (kick, snare and overheards).

How many vocals/instruments do you want to record simultaneously (separately)? For example, if the whole band is playing, you might need 2 X guitar, 1 X bass, 4 X drums and 1 X vocal = 8 discrete tracks.

You'll need closed back headphones - at least 1 set, but needed for everyone who is going to be overtracking (assuming you are going to overtrack and using mics).
You'll need mic stands and cables for each mic.
Monitors (speakers) for listening back, and mixing.

Thanks, you're absolutely right
I know that they're old, and some parts ma be irreplaceable, but as i said I'am on a low budget.
Well the main reason I'd like to buy the korg d3200 because it has 8 xlr inputs for the drums.
Of course, but well I dont't know how many instruments I'd like to record separately, hat depends on the song we're recording.
But maybe I'd like to record the drums alone or maybe jsut with the bass, and separately the guitar and the vocals.
I have some headphones philips, but designed not for this area, but for tv listening. Is it good for this thing also?
And speaking of monitors, are the loudspeakers of my computer good for thi kind of job? I think they're of good quality.
And does the room have to be large and soundproof the make a decent recording?
well i thought of buying two SM 57's one SM 58
and a drum kit mic set (cad stage 7 i think saw it on ebay.com)
So just with these things, can you make in a relatively small room without soundproof good recordings?
Do you recommend of buying korg d3200? ( or maybe you could show me some newer ones?)
thanks again, and sorry for my bad english

If you're still set on a standalone, I've had the DPS24 for about a dozen years. Rock solid machine man. :thumbs up:

The onboard pres are pretty damn good. Very clean. Good effects but some need tweaking.

Basically just some meat world experience here but if I had it to do all over again, I'd buy another DPS24.

What do you mean by saying "meat world experience"? Excuse me but I am a foreigner:D
So you don't recommend buying a standalone? But if you say so, I mean a dozen years, that's pretty much, it must be good:D
So I'm thinking of getting one of those:)

What do you mean by saying "meat world experience"? Excuse me but I am a foreigner:D
So you don't recommend buying a standalone? But if you say so, I mean a dozen years, that's pretty much, it must be good:D
So I'm thinking of getting one of those:)

Hey dude. No worries. ;)

"meat world" is just sayin "in the real world"...:)

And I'm probably one of the few guys here that uses a standalone exclusively. No computers in my studio.
I know there's a whole bunch of good computer daws out there and eventually I'll have to change over to the computer route for recording. I'm not ready to do that yet.

I guess what I'm saying is...you'll be buying into a daw that's out of production and hard to get parts for. And while I love my DPS, it's gonna die someday and I won't be able to fix it.
That may be one good reason to go the computer route.
Just some thoughts for ya man. ;)

Do you have a computer that you can use for recording? Anything made in the last 1-2 years will probably work. Then you get an audio interface with enough separate track capability to serve your needs (8 for drums, if that's your plan).
Headphones for TV probably aren't too good, but will work in a pinch - you don't want the sound form them leaking out to be picked up by a microphone. Computer speakers are not made for reproducing music accurately, at best they are for gaming or watching movies/videos.
Do you need soundproofing? Can you hear outside noise in the room? What you probably need is sound treatment - stopping the excess reverb and standing waves in the room which can make a recording sound like crap.
You're starting from scratch and trying to get great sound - you need to realize that home recording has a steep learning curve and isn't cheap either.

As suggested, read the sticky threads up the top and spend a day reading as much as you can around here, then come back and ask questions.

I've just moved off the standalone thing.... too limiting, but I can see the attraction if you're not experienced.

Back