HELP! Did I get duped? AKAI MG 1212

Meej

Hi Everyone,

So I'm a newb and I pretty muched jumped the gun on a pretty clean AKAI MG1212 and stand. I paid $400. DId I get duped. I didnt quite know what I was getting into and was basically jones for a analog recorder. The seller told me I shouldnt worry about getting tapes and such as they are availble through certain companies. He also said the preamps were very diserable for their warmth and what not. Needless to say after the transaction I googled the unit and came across how scarce the tapes really are. He did give me a few used tapes. Now all these questions are popping up in my head and cant help but stress....
Is this machine worth keeping?? Are the preamps on it good enough to justify me keeping it even if never find any new tapes? I also heard that I you can demag the used tape; does this work? What should I look for when attempting to buy used tapes?

Please help...
Thanks in advance,
Meej

Last edited:
Preamps are nothing to get excited about but they are decent enough. The tape inside those cassette shells is Ampex 456. I wouldn't trust that tape not to have sticky-shed problems. However, if you can take the shells apart and re-assemble, load them up with new 456 compatible tape and you shouild be good to go.

The 1212 is a pretty rare unit so there isn't a lot of info on them, but its not because they are bad. Everything I've read/heard is that they are ruggedly built and solid performing. A really neat unit.

If yours is in good shape and everything works and you got some tapes and the manual with it I'd say 400 is not a bad price...fair.

+1 to Rruskin...you may want to buy a new reel of RMGI SM911 and just reload those tape shells...NOS tapes come up every now and then on eBay...do a search for Akai + tape.

Keep us posted on how it is going. There are folks around here like Rruskin and others that will keep you straight. I wouldn't try and get rid of it unless it turnsout to be a train wreck, but be prepared, like with any older gear, to deliver a certain amount of TLC/upkeep, but again I understand the 1212 to be solid units.

They look like this, though they were also found in a beige/brown variety at its inception.

Later Akai produced the 1214 that had the 12 tracks and then a buffer track and then a dedicated sync track but that was just for its internal autolocate functions. The heads were glass. ;)

The tape shells were to be the Beta variety but then there was a licensing issue and Akai went forward with a proprietary design.

Cool bit of analog history.

Don't recall the tape speed on these decks, but the track width is slightly better than the 388...filled the gap between the 488/688 and the 388.

Attachments

• MG-1212_002.jpg
    MG-1212_002.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 65
They look like this, though they were also found in a beige/brown variety at its inception.

Later Akai produced the 1214 that had the 12 tracks and then a buffer track and then a dedicated sync track but that was just for its internal autolocate functions. The heads were glass. ;)

The tape shells were to be the Beta variety but then there was a licensing issue and Akai went forward with a proprietary design.

Cool bit of analog history.

Don't recall the tape speed on these decks, but the track width is slightly better than the 388...filled the gap between the 488/688 and the 388.

Is it 1/4" tape in a cartridge?

I know this is an analog forum, but for argument's sake, if you couldn't find new or used tapes, how hard would it be to either make that a hybrid or somehow take the outs to a different unit, say a reel to reel or regular cassette (which I know you can't get 12 tracks on, but...)?

1/2" tape cartridge
@ 3-3/4 ips (iirc)

You could reload the tape carts with new or oldstock 1/2" tape, if necessary. I'm not saying how easy or difficult it would be, but it's doable.

These units would suffer from the same off-the-shelf maladies you get with analog or vintage units with rubber-driven parts. Belts and tires sums it up, maybe washers too. I'm not sure if it would be any more complicated than a standard sized cassette mechanism that's belt and solenoid driven. There's an HR member user named studiodrum who delved into a refurb of the MG1212 transport a couple years back.:eek:;)

If it runs perfectly on delivery you're way ahead. The tape media supply issue may be difficult. I wonder if it's an exact fit for a Beta cartridge? Has anyone ever tried Beta carts or knows for sure whether they fit or not? Is the proprietary Akai cart a slightly different dimensions? I'm being a knucklehead. They'd have to be different.

I've seen some MG1212 media occassionally on eBay. You'll have to scour the boards for used media! Good luck!

I know this is an analog forum, but for argument's sake, if you couldn't find new or used tapes, how hard would it be to either make that a hybrid or somehow take the outs to a different unit, say a reel to reel or regular cassette (which I know you can't get 12 tracks on, but...)?

The mixer is decent enough that you should be able to do an in/out to an external recorder with some selective repatching. I've not scoped the mixer I/O panel up close, but assuming there's D-Out and Line In on each channel it seems doable.

Hybrid? Maybe as a code-only master.:eek:;)

1/2" tape cartridge
@ 3-3/4 ips (iirc)

I believe there are two speeds, 3 3/4 and 7.5. That was the debate that it actually has a slightly wider track width that the 388, but the same tape speed.

The 388 has arguablly a better mixer section and longer tape length (and much easier to find tape), but the MG1212 has a higher track count.

I wonder if it's an exact fit for a Beta cartridge? Has anyone ever tried Beta carts or knows for sure whether they fit or not? Is the proprietary Akai cart a slightly different dimensions? I'm being a knucklehead. They'd have to be different.

The carts are different. Beta won't work. Refer to this thread.

I vote for reloading the tape shells. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle. You could then archive on tiny pancakes! :D:D:D

Not a bad machine in it's day. I sold a 1212 to a fellow by the name of Willie Murphy many years ago (when it first came out). He loved it and produced many albums on it before trading it in on a 1214 when it became available. Willie had worked in studios around the world by that time. He produced Bonnie Raitt's first album. http://www.mnblues.com/profile/williemurphy2000.html

You guys are awesome. Thank you all for info. I'm really new to the recording game so all your comments have really helped me out and relieved some stress. I'm gonna check a few companies to try and gets some NOS tapes and get the thing calibrated and what not. I'll keep you folks posted and I'll get pic up soon!!

THanks again!:)

Don't get NOS tape. re-read what was posted. put new 1/2" tape in the cartridges. search "sticky shed"

I like to make music, not tinker with tape deck. In my opinion you would have probably been better off with an open reel deck. It depends on whether or not you like to tinker and/or scour ebay, craigslist and various webforums for used and parts when that machine starts to act up (and it probably will).

Having said that, these look like cool machines, and I bet you could get some nice sounds out of a unit in nice working condition.

Don't get NOS tape

+1 (or 2 or 3) to that. In the long run it will be cheaper to have, basically, bulk tape stock with a reel of 1/2" tape that is new.

Hey, guys, does anybody know if those Akai tapes use the 1.5mil tape or the 1mil 457 equivalent tape??? :confused:

To quote myself and reinforce what Hi_flyer is saying,

be prepared, like with any older gear, to deliver a certain amount of TLC/upkeep

You need to have the right mindset with older gear...you'll have to tinker at some point no matter what it is...get comfy with that and look forward to the journey. That aside the 1212 is unique and neat in that it is a bit less bulky than the 388, has those glass heads :cool:, and is the Portastudio format for relative simplicity in setup and transport (i.e. one unit, no interface cables between noise reduction and mixer and deck, etc.), but offers better sonic potential for sure than the 488/688 from Tascam (though those are fantastic units...also unique and special).

Okay... So getcherself some new tape, load them carts, put on your "maybe it'll have issues, and if not it will at some point and then I'll deal with it" hat and then make some music and have fun with your rare cool eclectic piece of analog audio production gear!

Back