Help: Cubase, Ableton, Akai, Windows 7, Blue Screen error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

DEL_P_O

Hi everyone.
I’m hoping someone will be able to help me. My laptop keeps crashing and going to a blue screen before switching itself off. It displays the error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Here is my laptop spec:
Model: DEL XPX L720X
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHZ 2.50 GHZ
RAM: 8GB
System Type: 64-bit operating system

The laptop keeps crashing every time I use Cubase LE 5 Lite or Ableton Live 8.0.9 Lite with my Akai EIE Pro audio interface and my Akai MPK25 Midi Controller. This started to happen a while back when I bought the Akai EIE Pro and loaded the drivers. Sometimes it works fine and other times the sound just stops and I need to plug out the USB and plug it back in. Other times it crashes to this blue screen which says among other things “IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” before shutting down my PC. It’s gotten worse now that I have both the audio interface and midi controller plugged into my Laptop via the USB Ports.

I downloaded an app called WhoCrashed which looks at the number of times my Laptop has crashed and what the possible root causes are. They all lead to a USB 3.0 related driver called nusb3xhc.sys

Please see the output from WhoCrashed

Can anyone help? Has anyone seen this issue before? It is preventing me from recording on my Laptop.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Mick

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 03/02/2013 23:28:49 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020313-22261-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nusb3xhc.sys (0xFFFFF880063BE2E7)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x2C, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF880063BE2E7)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nusb3xhc.sys
product: USB 3.0 Device Driver
company: Renesas Electronics Corporation
description: USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nusb3xhc.sys (USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver, Renesas Electronics Corporation).
Google query: Renesas Electronics Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Sun 03/02/2013 23:28:49 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nusb3xhc.sys (nusb3xhc+0xE2E7)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x2C, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF880063BE2E7)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nusb3xhc.sys (USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver, Renesas Electronics Corporation).

On Sun 03/02/2013 23:02:00 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020313-44834-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nusb3xhc.sys (0xFFFFF880063B92E7)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x2C, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF880063B92E7)

On Sun 03/02/2013 20:53:09 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020313-42775-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nusb3xhc.sys (0xFFFFF8800580E2E7)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x2C, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8800580E2E7)

So....

Did you check for an updated usb driver? From Dell support site or elsewhere?

Did you check for updated drivers for your audio hardware?

Did you check Microsoft knowledge base for USB 3 issues?

You should be asking at a computer site, not a recording site. But I'll tell ya right now if it ain't a driver, your problem is either with ram or your hard drive. Guaranteed. Remove all the new drivers you loaded. If that doesn't fix it, look at your ram or hard drive.

@ PR Pundit
I have unistalled and reinstalled drivers for root hub and the controller. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the my audio interface also. I haven't had a blue screen yet, but I'm the sound is only working through my audio interface every now and then. I'm getting nowthing consistent. Would it be a USB driver issue or the audio interface driver issue? When it does work I get some static mixed in. In order for me to get rid of the static I need to increase the sample rate but then it stops working after a few seconds.

It could be both, neither, one or the other, or just your system setup, or a simple buffer setting.

You need to start at square one, and troubleshoot from there. First, did you 'download' the appropriate driver for your system from the AKAI site, or from an installation disc?

I think I'm starting to figure out what the real problem is. All the USB's on my laptop are 3.0 while this the Akai EIE Pro Audio Interface device which I bought only a few months back specifically says its for UBS 2.0 only. This may be the cause of this problem?

Regarding the audio interface not working on USB3.0, have a read of this article if your interested. It looks like there is a lot of truth to it.
www . createdigitalmusic.com/2012/0...t-cooperating/

Update on my recording nightmare:

My laptop has two USB3.0 port & 1 USB 2.0 port and 1 USB port (don't know which type)for power other stuff and can be used for external data storage, etc...

I'm still having sound outage problems, but I've had no blue screen issues over the last few days (mostly likely due to the driver uninstalls and reinstalls)

I have uninstalled and reinstalled BIOS drivers, USB drivers, audio interface drivers and midi keyboard drivers

I can use Ableton live lite on its own with the keyboard using my laptop sound card and it works perfectly. I can create tunes and I can create drums beats and its very easy to use, as is Ableton. I find it was more intuitive than Cubase LE5 Lite.

When I start using the audio interface (Akai EIE Pro) even on its own, that is when the problems start. If I use the standard CD bit sampling rate (standard) I get loads of static when listening back. Bizarrely I have to increase the sampling rate to studio quality (96hz) for the static to stop. You would think it would be the opposite. It usually works for about 50 - 60 seconds when listening to something (at any sampling or buffer rate) and then the sound drops out and I have to restart my PC again as I can't hear anything even when I plug the audio interface out. This happens on USB2.0 and USB3.0. From looking at other forums it looks like I'm not the only one having these problems, but I can't find a solution that works for me. A this stage there is either a problem with the audio interface drivers or the audio interface itself.

I have emailed the manufacturer also looking for help on this. Its all incredibly frustrating!

Have you optimized your lappy for audio performance yet? And raised the buffer size for mixdown?

Back