Connect MPC/Computer/Roland recorder

luvdldy

I have a bit of an elaborate setup that I need to connect. I have a bunch of sound modules that I want to be able to play via midi, record via midi, etc.

I have an MPC2000XL that I would like to have as my sequencer (sometimes), as well as a comuter I may want to use as my sequencer (sometimes) and a Roland VS-840EX as my recorder. I do have an Alesis32 mixer that my modules run to for FX, EQ, etc. Oh and YES, I have a midi keyboard controller as well.

How would I set the MPC, VS and computer so that they can be synched together? All three of these pieces have MIDI INs and OUTs. Oh yeah, I have a midi thru box as well. I don't know if you need more info, but if you do, please just let me know!

OK... I drew a pretty sad looking diagram :)
But someone, please tell me if this will work:

MPC Midi Out A>>PC Card Midi In
MPC Midi Out B>>Midi In of Thru Box
PC Card Midi Out>>840EX Midi In
840EX Midi Out>>MPC Midi In 1
Midi Keyboard Controller Midi Out>>MPC Midi In 2
Thru Box Midi Thru>>Keyboard Midi In
Keyboard Midi Thru>>Midi Box Midi Thru

I have 8 sound generators NOT including sounds from the MPC. The keyboard is a sampler as well and can generate old grungy sounds. Will this setup work. This is including the synching of the multitrack rec with the MPC as well as computer software with the MPC. Both the VS840 and the PC will now be slaves. The VS sync via MMC.

Hmm...my mind isn't working too well tonight as it's late...but I"m having to re-install MS Office 2k on my Wife's PC for some work she has to do tomorrow...so I'm passing some time....

Anyway, I'm surprised that you've had no answers. Let me tell you how mine is hooked up. I don't have the separate sequencer like you have, but I do have the VS840ex, and Cakewalk Sonar on a PC, and several other outboard MIDI instruments: MT32, Casio KB, Kawai K3 KB, Roland GR1 and occasional Roland Midi bass pedals.

I run most of these through my Digital Music Corp MX8 MIDI patch bay, as I have for many years. Basically, I use the MIDI port from my motherboard's built-in SB sound card's Joystick port for the VS840ex. It is the one MIDI device that doesn't come into my MX8 Patch Bay. I use it's S/PDIF output to feed my Pro Audio sound card, rather than Analog RCA I/O.

Now, with this configuration, and the VS840EX set to transmit MTC sync, and Sonar set to use it, I get perfect sync transfer...virtually no audio quality loss, since I'm sending it Digital to Digital.

My other devices feed their ins and outs through the MX8 patch bay. With the patch bay I can send any incoming signal to any device attached. Without that capability, I'd have to connect the outs of one into the in or through of the other...on down the chain, much like you are talking about.

I'm not familiar with the MPC, but If you do, in fact, intend to sync your VS840ex with your PC running Cakewalk Sonar, I think that you should make one definite connection the MIDI out of the VS840ex to the MIDI in of the PC. Then work out the rest of your connections from there. It would probably work the other way around, but if you do it directly, as I did on mine, I thnk you are more certain to have good sync in transfers...nothing in the middle to get in the way. See, the VS840ex has to be the master clock for Sonar to sync properly. VS840ex set to transmit MTC Sync, while Sonar is set to sync to MTC/SMTPE.

Back