akai s3000 sampler help with technique

flextone

Hi,
Just got an akai s3000 to compliment my mpc3000 and was wondering if i can do something like this:

What i want to do is make a sample loop, and then gradually shorten the length of the loop in real time so it plays faster and faster. Now, in the loop window in my s3000, the length field changes in extremely small increments (ms) so i can't really do it that way.

Any other way of achieving this? maybe LFO > loop length? Can that be done on an s3000? Any ideas?

Thanks
Flextone

why not just map it across the whole key range and then sequence the notes every one or half (or however extreme you want) octave

The only sampler I can think of that can do this is the Casio FZ-1/FZ-10M which can add up to eight loops per sample.

Another idea would be to adjust the loop end point while playing the sample in edit mode and record the result.

Somnium7,

that's exactly what i want to do but the loop length can be moved only in milliseconds and it takes forever to move the cursor from one point to another using the data wheel, basically it has no effect that way.

i guess akai wanted the user to dial in the desired value and then fine tune it with the data wheel. that's not what i need.

Somnium7,

that's exactly what i want to do but the loop length can be moved only in milliseconds and it takes forever to move the cursor from one point to another using the data wheel, basically it has no effect that way.

i guess akai wanted the user to dial in the desired value and then fine tune it with the data wheel. that's not what i need.

On my S6000 I can change the number of samples during scrolling with the datawheel by using the left/right arrows to change from tens to hundreds to thousands in the samples field. Check to see if your Akai has this feature. Can you change the value where it shows "time: OFF mS"? See pic...

loopsc.gif

That damn FZ-1 would allow you to trigger a sample via Midi in edit mode and you could adjust start or end points by the entire sample length in real time without glitching. That machine rocked for this sort of stuff.

My advice is to make several copies of the sample and give each a different loop and then map them out into a program. Yeah it's alot of work....
However, I am not an expert with the 3000 and it may have features I am not aware of. Maybe try posting your problem here...
http://akaipro5k6kuser.proboards30.com/

I'm sure some of the real old-heads there know more about your Akai than I do.

On my S6000 I can change the number of samples during scrolling with the datawheel by using the left/right arrows to change from tens to hundreds to thousands in the samples field

thank you for your reply and the nice screenshot! my loop screen looks exactly like that but i don't underdstand what do you mean by "samples field", where is it? i can't see such a fiels in the screenshot. yeah i can change the value where it says OFF, what now? i don't get it, is this the samples field?

I've posted a question at that forum you linked me to, thanks.

thank you for your reply and the nice screenshot! my loop screen looks exactly like that but i don't underdstand what do you mean by "samples field", where is it? i can't see such a fiels in the screenshot. yeah i can change the value where it says OFF, what now? i don't get it, is this the samples field?

That's what I was wondering myself. When you change that value does it change the speed of scrolling to move the loop point?

from the s3000 manual(s3000xl actually, no manual for the s3000):

Each number field is separately accessible allowing you a great
deal of flexibility in editing such large numbers. For example, to make a big change to the
start point, move the cursor to the 1 using the +/< key found on the numeric keypad - as
you move the DATA wheel, you will increment in big jumps. This is good for getting
someway into the sound with little effort. When you are close to where you want to be,
move the cursor one position right using the -/> key to edit the start point in smaller
increments.

i'll try it out and let you know!

Well that sounds promising. Pretty similar to how I do it on my sampler using the left/right cursor keys.

SUCCESS!!! THANX!!!

now,
if i could only use an external midi controller to adjust the loop length...

possible?

SUCCESS!!! THANX!!!

now,
if i could only use an external midi controller to adjust the loop length...

possible?

Good for you! Glad you got it working.
You'll need to find the Midi specs for your sampler and see if you can map a controller to that parameter. I honestly can't say off hand if it's doable.

Back