Akai MG-1212

Not U-matic but Ampex 456 loaded into video cassette shells. I don't recall if they used BetaMax or VHS shells.

I don't believe they are either of those shells but their own Akai shells of a different size. I did a quick search here too and found some info.

There's one for sale locally. The tape part doesn't work though. Probably not worth the trouble.

Proprietary tape shells. They were going to use Beta shells but ran into licensing garbage with Sony.

Also, it is not known what exactly was loaded the shells...IIRC Beck knows more on that. You CAN reload them with 456 but that may or may not be the right thickness etc. though I'm pretty sure the tapes were +6 SOL.

Glass heads. Probably not worth it unless you're looking for a potentially sticky project if the tape transport it belly-up. :(

Ahhh, Steve, you saw that too, huh?

I've got way too much stuff and I don't have time for equipment that needs to be repaired. If you pick it up, good luck with it!

-MD

Ahhh, Steve, you saw that too, huh?

I've got way too much stuff and I don't have time for equipment that needs to be repaired. If you pick it up, good luck with it!

-MD

Exactly. :D Me either. It was just a passing thought. I couldn't take anything on like that now. ..... unless it was free. But it does seem it would be neat to have.

$150 is too much IMHO in that condition (i.e. transport n/f...)

Oh yeah, I agree. Despite like TB said it's probably pretty decent, and worth trying to fix I really had no intention of paying that for it. I'm as usual, just nosing around. :D

The documentation I have describes the tape as high bias cobalt-modified, which rules out 456/457 or similar. Maxell XLII EE tape would fit the description, as would some thicker videotapes that are much like high bias cassette tape.

The problem is finding EE reel-to-reel tape in half-inch, and low grade, longer length (thinner) VHS or Betamax tape wouldn’t be suitable at the 7.5 ips speed of the MG-1212. I’m sure people have tried normal bias tape like 456 and it may seem to work to a degree, but you can bet things are whacked compared to the original specs of the machine.

The shells are similar to betamax but aren’t interchangeable. They where originally made for Akai Video cameras in the 70’s.

:)

The documentation I have describes the tape as high bias cobalt-modified, which rules out 456/457 or similar. Maxell XLII EE tape would fit the description, as would some thicker videotapes that are much like high bias cassette tape.

The problem is finding EE reel-to-reel tape in half-inch, and low grade, longer length (thinner) VHS or Betamax tape wouldn’t be suitable at the 7.5 ips speed of the MG-1212. I’m sure people have tried normal bias tape like 456 and it may seem to work to a degree, but you can bet things are whacked compared to the original specs of the machine.

The shells are similar to betamax but aren’t interchangeable. They where originally made for Akai Video cameras in the 70’s.

Then unless being used to retrieve old material recorded on the format, these things are not much more than over-sized doorstops.

as would some thicker videotapes that are much like high bias cassette tape.

Would the digital tapes like 467 be suitable? They seem to have similar specs to video tape, and come in 1/2"... And the AKAI heads are reported to be indestructible so should be able to handle the abrasive digital tape.

Do a search here on homerec on the akai mg1212 and the mg1214.

I think the tapes thing has been covered. Mr. gerst is correct.

tapes are rare, but can be found from time to time on ebay.

Back