Akai GX4000

Can anyone tell me the best way to clean the heads on this, and to get the scratchies out of the volume knob.

Can anyone tell me the best way to clean the heads on this, and to get the scratchies out of the volume knob.
Great little recorder runs @ 7.5 and 3.5 incher per second? You can clean the heads with a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol 9.1 or better. Those heads lasts forever! Enjoy.

The Switch should be an easy fix?
unplug mains, find the offending switch (i'd do em all while i got it open and check the belts too) underneath most rotary switchs theres a small access hole. Spray switch cleaner into the hole with the dip tube that comes with the can. Rotate the volume switch endlessly. and leave to dry.
reassemble the case and you should be good to go. do not use isopropol alcohol or wd40 on switches.

Thanks I will give both a try. This thing has been sitting for about 10 years without getting used, thought I would reserect it.

Thanks I will give both a try. This thing has been sitting for about 10 years without getting used, thought I would reserect it.

It's resurrect.
I only do this when there's potential for embarrassment. ;)

If the volume knob is just dirty some kind of fader/electrical contact cleaner should sort it out. If it comes back again it might be a replacement job though.

Back