Akai GX-620 Tape Counter Doesn't work?

gac

Hey all,

I'm new here and new to the world of tape machines, so bare with me.

I own an Akai GX-620, and recently discovered that the tape counter feature is not working. By not working, I mean it no longer counts. I resetted it to no avail. It just wont count for me, basically.

Perhaps I am missing something very obvious (and of course will be completely embarassed if so), but I am open to your ideas for how to correct this.

I thank you all in advance for your time,

GAC

I had a direct drive Kind Akai for a while (I believe a GX-630), I believe the counter is the only thing that is a belt so you probably just need a counter belt.

IS THIS IT?

if, so, remove (or open, if it is "openable"?) the cover and see what's there, you may be able to see the counter mechanism. There should be a belt spining the counter's mechanism. See if it looks ok.
I am just guessing here. I don't really know.

/good luck

see attached image
my guess is that you need to remover these two screws to remove the cover, I may be wrong, it's just looks to me like this is it

/later

Attachments

• akaigx620.jpg
    akaigx620.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 27
Hey guys,

I opened it up and it looks like you all were right.

The belt was just resting there inside, not attached to anything. I'd show you pictures but the board wont let me till I make 5 posts!

So here are the inevitable questions:

1. Do I need to get a new belt? If so, where can I order one for this model?

2. How the heck do I install it? I'm trying to figure out how the belt works in relation to the counter and I can't picture it.

Thanks to everyone for helping so far, hopefully you can give a few more pointers!

GAC

I'd show you pictures but the board wont let me till I make 5 posts!
so just make three more posts, say something you don't mean, that'll do :p :D

1. Do I need to get a new belt?
if the old belt is not broken, I don't think you need new one. It should be easy to place it back. I am not sure that it would be possible to do from the front. I've no clue. You may need to get there from the back of the deck.
post pictures when you can

/respects

so just make three more posts, say something you don't mean, that'll do :p :D

LOL, well here is 4...

if the old belt is not broken, I don't think you need new one. It should be easy to place it back.

Well, this one has snapped. It looks like it is weathered and aged. So I am certain I will need a new one. Any online purchasing suggestions?

GAC

Here's the defunct belt:
2071belt.jpg

And the insides:
2069insides.jpg

I'm not sure what you can gauge from that image, but I hope it'll do to see what I'm working with here.

GAC

ok, I was trying to make something up so you get a general idea, so here it is,
commonly the counter mechanism has a larger wheel, and belt is going around it and then to "something else" , that's depending on the machine's design,
now, that "something else" you need to find/figure out by looking inside the machine, you may need to open the back and see from there
see attached chart.

Attachments

• something else.jpg
    something else.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 25
so you need new belt.
where to buy? I don't know. eBay is the one place.
This belt is not critical for the deck performance. Any similar belt of the same loop-length should do the work.
See the picture,
so I see the "large wheel", but I don't see from that photo what can there be the "something else" :o:(
..."it" may be somewhere close behind the metal face-plate ..???

Attachments

• large wheel.jpg
    large wheel.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 25
btw, from what I see there, in order to remove the face-plate, you'd first have to remove pinch-roller, both tape guide /tension arms, control knobs, maybe couple other things. It's all doable, but see for yourself first and decide if you feel ok doing all that.
good luck what ever you do.
do not force anything, take it easy

Dr Zee, you are the best! So many informative posts from you. Thank you.

I asked the ebay seller if it'll work as the tape counter belt, and I'll be buying it right away if so.

I can't thank you enough again for your help.

I like this board already!

GAC

Oh yes, and I'll keep you posted on the progress of this. Hopefully I'll have it up and running soon.

GAC

uh, cool :cool::cool::cool:
I like this board already!
You've hit it on a nice sunny day.
The Earth is moving, so
Just hang around... ;)
Tomorrow it may be hurricane, a flood or even worse:
:D:D:D

Attachments

• pinatubo_flow.jpg
    pinatubo_flow.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 16