the AKAI DPS12

Sossosny

Anyone familiar with this recording device? I'm doing some home recording and am having probs with this recorder, as well as how we'd hook it up to burn a CD. It has an external SCSI port in the back for hooking up to a CD burner or a backup device like a DAT. There is also a SCSI hard drive built inside.

I'm guessing the hard disk is corrupt because it occasionally comes up with "Hard disk error, too busy, try ALIGN" and "SCSI error". I thought we'd just have to buy a new hard drive, but as it turns out SCSI is uncommon and expensive compared to IDE.

Apparently there is an upgrade option so you can use IDE drives, (Now we just have to see if we can order one in from AKAI), but I don't know if any IDE drive would be compatible or if it would be as fast/reliable to do track recording on like SCSI.

The other problem is no site (or even AKAI themselves) have any up-to-date info on current compatible hard disks or CD-R's.

Despite all this, the AKAI DPS12 is still a handy, intuitive piece of equipment. Damn this SCSI crap!

If anyone owns or has owned a DPS12, and had a successful setup of recording and burning/backing up, any help would be appreciated. Cheers,

Sossosny

Back