Akai 3200 SCSI /JAZ drive question

karambos2

Hi there,
I've just been given an old external JAZ drive and I want to connect it to my Akai sampler. I've had a look at the back of the sampler and I can only see one SCSI port.

I would ideally like to have the JAZ in between my mac and my AKAI in a SCSI "chain" so that I can easily send data from the mac to the sampler.

I therefore assume that the sampler would have to be the last in the chain as there is no way to terminate the scsi "chain".

Can anyone tell me if I've understood this correctly or if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

I'd be grateful for any hints or ideas about how I should go about this.

Many thanks

Wont work because both the scsi adapter and the sampler are scsi masters and there can only be one master.

Just do what i did and get an internal jazz drive as well, cheap enough and save the power down/up process!

thanks, MiXit-G, for your swift response.

That's a shame that it's not workable. But I'm sure a friend of mine mentioned once to me that he has a hard drive attached to his sampler. Also, I just read in the Akai manual that the SCSI post at the back of the sampler is there so that you can attach a hard drive to it.

Has anyone got any sort of hard drive / removeable media drive successfully attached to their sampler?

Thanks once again.

Karambos

thanks, MiXit-G, for the reply. I'll have a look at that page and see if I can get it sorted. So far, though, you've been right. I attach the JAZ to the mac - it works. I attach it to the sampler (with the same SCSI ID) it works, but all of them in a chain - no way.

I got this reply from another person in another forum:

"I had an Akai S2000 sampler attached to my Umax mac clone via SCSI. In the middle of the SCSI chain, between the computer and the sampler, was the following:

2 CD-ROM drives
1 scanner
1 external hard drive
1 ZIP drive

It worked fine, provided the sampler was OFF when I booted the mac (or they'd both try to be master & the mac would freeze). The mac was talking to the S2000 for editing & loading via MESA software.

The sampler could see one external SCSI device at a time - ID 5 from memory, and I think the S2000 was hard-wired to SCSI ID 6. I had successfully used one of the CD-ROMs, the ZIP, and the hard drive with the sampler, by shutting down & changing SCSI ID to ID 5 as needed. It all worked very well, and I still miss it to some extent. Oh, and the S2000 was self-terminating when on the end of the SCSI chain. When used standalone with external drive only, the drive needed termination."

I'll keep on trying :-) Thanks for your help.

Karambos

Sounds like a lot of friggin aruond changing id's and shutting down.

Just buy an internal jazz drive, disk in disk out no shutting down fast as fast can be ;)

Back