what do you think about minimac for real-time audio apps like ableton?

i hate the idea of the mini mac...but i have no backing to support it..i just do......for 500 dollars you could by a half-way decent computer off of ebay

Elmo89m said:
i hate the idea of the mini mac...but i have no backing to support it..i just do......for 500 dollars you could by a half-way decent computer off of ebay
is the mini mac really only halfway decent? if you want to get a mac, I think its pretty good bang for the buck.

im just venting that i think its a big waste of money....i dont want you to take what im saying as advice because i dont really know a whole lot about computers...but i know that that thing sure wont let you have a pci soundcard. i just think a desktop would be more practical

I'm sorry, I re-read that and I meant: really only less than half way decent?

also keep in mind taking advantage of the educational discount they offer, if that applies.

and yes, that would be fine for ableton, you'll want to upgrade the ram first if youre able. also, plan on all of your hardware upgrades being external.

If you study the ads you will see that its boasting the OS. "move to a safer platform". I read a review on it and it had little expandabiliy. No room for another hard drive and no empty memory slots. If you want compact why not get a laptop.

There's a guy over at OSXaudio.com using the Mini to run a live rig consisting of a couple softsynths, Logic, and Native Instruments' Guitar Rig. He's using it with a 7" LCD touch screen, and he loves it.

Very cool little set up.

If you want compact why not get a laptop.

Because a Mac laptop costs $999, not $499.

Back