Vocal Recording Question

anoopbal

Hi everyone,

I am trying out Albeton live 9 - trial version.So far i like it better than cs6. I had a question.

I want the vocals to come out as I record so that I can hear. But everytime I hit the record, the volume of the vocal track goes back to 0. How can I keep the volume high in record?

Thank you so much
Anoop

So while you're recording you want to hear it, or you're not getting any sound when you record? Slightly confused about the question, but check your output settings and make sure they're configured right. Are you using a onboard soundcard or an audio interface? Make sure that you are actually getting sound in through your mic, as that obviously could lead to not hearing anything ...lol. If the problem is just a low signal make sure you gain stage your mic, and if you're using a condenser you of course need a power source. If the issue is technical we need a little more info...
If you explain your setup I could provide a better answer, ie; what mic, what soundcard/interface, and the settings you have for drivers and outputs/inputs inside AL...

Could be when it's armed for record you're seeing the input level, and typically none of the DAW/record app controls effect record level ..they can effect your live monitor level but not record level -as it should be; that software is after the converter.
In playback the fader controls the level (and the meter shifts.

Thank you so much for all the reply.

1. I have my karoke track on one track
2. I use another track for my vocals
3. In Adobe CS6, I increase the playback volume of my vocal recording track and record. This way I can hear my voice and the karoke track when I record.
4. In Ableton, when I hit the record button my playback volume level becomes very low even if I set it high. But the karaoke track volume remains where it was set before I hit record. So I can hear the karoke, but not my vocals. Of course, I can increase the volume after I stop record.

I think I got it. I was reading "Benn here". I guess I have to go the session view and turn up the the output volume.I was in the arrangement view and was increasing the gain volume ( in the clip view). What is the difference between the two?

Thank you so much and sorry for all the questions!

Okay, enough of this flailing around in the dark with undefined terms like "very low levels". We need hard numbers.

When you record your vocals, what is the peak level in dBFS? You should be aiming to get record levels around -12dBFS. Use the mic gain on your interface to set the record level. Disable Ableton's software input monitoring and use the hardware input monitoring provided by your interface to hear yourself sing.

Now play back some of the karaoke track. What is the peak level of that track? Is it 0dBFS or so? That's fine for karaoke night at the bar but it's way to high to record to. Rather than turning your vocal track's playback way up, turn your headphone output up and turn the karaoke track down to blend with your vocal.

Now I have the Karaoke track at -8db and I can hear the vocals now. Thank you for all the help. I will post up a video of how I record so someone can give a critique. Thanks!!

Back