Triggering horizontal loops, not vertical??

mikemorgan

panned out
I'm trying to use Ableton as a simple drum machine in a live setting.
I've pretty much mastered triggering loops as one shots within a vertical track.
In other words I've got a straight drum loop in slot one and fills loaded in all the slots below it. I can get the fills to play once and then revert back to the staight beat at the top.

My real question is, Can the same thing be accomplished in one SCENE, where my clips are loaded horizontally rather than vertically?

Lets say scene 1 is a song called "Straight 4/4, hats 1/8th". Track one is Straight 4/4, hats 1/8th, Tracks 2,3,4,5,6 and so on are fills.

If I trigger the scene, all of these tracks play simultaneously. I can't figure a way around this.

I guess the same thing would apply to any triggered scene, how do you make tracks NOT play when the scene is launched?

I'm trying to use Ableton as a simple drum machine in a live setting.
I've pretty much mastered triggering loops as one shots within a vertical track.
In other words I've got a straight drum loop in slot one and fills loaded in all the slots below it. I can get the fills to play once and then revert back to the staight beat at the top.

My real question is, Can the same thing be accomplished in one SCENE, where my clips are loaded horizontally rather than vertically?

Lets say scene 1 is a song called "Straight 4/4, hats 1/8th". Track one is Straight 4/4, hats 1/8th, Tracks 2,3,4,5,6 and so on are fills.

If I trigger the scene, all of these tracks play simultaneously. I can't figure a way around this.

I guess the same thing would apply to any triggered scene, how do you make tracks NOT play when the scene is launched?

I havent done this as I dont use it as an instrument but if you double click the clip then look at the menu on the bottom left click the little yellow L button...then click "follow action" you can organise what order midi clips play back..Im not sure if that works horizontally or just vertically but its where Id start looking/experimenting :confused:

Back