Simultaneous Multi Track with Ableton?

MayDay

Well,

I'm fairly new to recording. I just got the the M-audio MobilePre and it came with Ableton live lite 4, which i immediately upgraded to Live lite 5. However, I was dissapointed that it didn't seem like I could record mulitple tracks simultaneously from the USB interface. Is this possible with Live Lite 5? If not, what is a cheap alternative that will allow me to take the tracks and use them in Ableton Live (~$50)?

One of the things I was looking forward to the most was being able to mic my guitar and vocals separately. :(

Thanks for your help.

Where the full version of Ableton Live gives you all of these capabilities across an unlimited number of audio and MIDI tracks, Ableton Live Lite 5 gives you four audio tracks and four MIDI tracks. Given Live’s unique power and efficiency—including resampling—that’s a lot of production capability right out of the box. It’s so intuitive and inspiring that you’ll be making new music immediately. And if you decide to unleash the full power of Ableton Live, your experience and files are completely transportable. Either way, Live lets you focus on what really matters: your music.

This is from M-Audio's website, Google is your friend.

I'm a big Live user, and when I need to do something like that I usually tap the tempo to get close, then track the guitar, then the vocal(s).

According to Ableton they're planning to tend toward incorporating some traditional DAW concepts in Version 6 and I'm hoping one of them will be multiple simultaneous inputs.

Carter-

I do understand that I get 4 audio and 4 midi tracks, however, it does not appear that I can set it so that audio track 1 is recording from input channel 1 and have audio track 2 recording from input channel 2 and have them both recording at the same time. ie - I cannot mic my guitar and have a vocal mic recording the two "instruments" onto separate tracks simultaneously. That is what I'm asking about.

Scientist-

Thanks. I tend to sing better when I'm playing my guitar, and doing the two tracks separately makes that a little more difficult. I'll figure something out.

Thanks.

Sorry - I should have said that this version of Live is not meant to be a traditional audio/midi sequencer. It's a whole new paradigm and one that I've come to sorely miss when I'm working in anything but Live.

But sadly, in version 5 it's not possible to record two tracks at once...

Back