ohmuhgoodness. that *expletive* apc40... question from a non ableton user

kidkage

Bored of Canada
For a really long time now that APC40 has intrigued me.
I should point something out though - I have never eh eh ehhhvvverr used ableton.
Hey I know it's kind of weird, but it's getting to the point now where the APC40 is getting so attractive that I'm thinking about investing in one and figuring out what ableton is all about. Yeah, I guess I want to learn how to use ableton just for the APC :confused: :laughings:
Now I'm a guy that loves my guitars, and drum, and loud fast teenage male stuff.
But I'm starting to expand more. Virtual instruments have absolutely invaded my creativity in a good way.
Now Cubase is my DAW. I've learned and am still learning about it, and from what I see, apparently there is a way to use Ableton in Cubase :eek::wtf::confused:

And from what I think I understand it is the best thing artists that need any sort of virtual instrument backing tracks can use live. Even if they necessarily didnt use it to record with.

here are a few questions related to the above(not sure what order to ask these in):
--General overview of how ableton works in cubase?
--As I said, I dont use ableton, but it looks like the APC "Comes with Ableton Live Akai Professional APC40 Edition software". Can I use that version in Cubase?
--do instruments from komplete, or my own samples, etc. work with it or does ableton only work with whatever sounds come in it?

A few examples of how I could integrate it into my particular setup would be sweet too.

Unfortunately I've sort of attached this stigma to ableton that it's used only by really generic "boomchickboomchickboomchick" people, and that they only use sounds that are already in there.
I need to be pulled away from that stigma.

this might be my longest post ever.

For a really long time now that APC40 has intrigued me.
I should point something out though - I have never eh eh ehhhvvverr used ableton.
Hey I know it's kind of weird, but it's getting to the point now where the APC40 is getting so attractive that I'm thinking about investing in one and figuring out what ableton is all about. Yeah, I guess I want to learn how to use ableton just for the APC :confused: :laughings:
Now I'm a guy that loves my guitars, and drum, and loud fast teenage male stuff.
But I'm starting to expand more. Virtual instruments have absolutely invaded my creativity in a good way.
Now Cubase is my DAW. I've learned and am still learning about it, and from what I see, apparently there is a way to use Ableton in Cubase :eek::wtf::confused:

And from what I think I understand it is the best thing artists that need any sort of virtual instrument backing tracks can use live. Even if they necessarily didnt use it to record with.

here are a few questions related to the above(not sure what order to ask these in):
--General overview of how ableton works in cubase?
--As I said, I dont use ableton, but it looks like the APC "Comes with Ableton Live Akai Professional APC40 Edition software". Can I use that version in Cubase?
--do instruments from komplete, or my own samples, etc. work with it or does ableton only work with whatever sounds come in it?

A few examples of how I could integrate it into my particular setup would be sweet too.

Unfortunately I've sort of attached this stigma to ableton that it's used only by really generic "boomchickboomchickboomchick" people, and that they only use sounds that are already in there.
I need to be pulled away from that stigma.

this might be my longest post ever.

Ableton can be used in any other DAW that supports Rewire...its doesnt work as a VST like Fruity Loops does, so it does take a little setting up...the version that ships with the APC would work within cubase

The APC is used to trigger scenes, a scene can be a small as a one shot right up to a full tune...mostly they are made of clips of music so you can trigger them off and mix live or add FX/sounds to Live sets...in that respect its not actually an instrument like, say Maschine, but that doesnt mean to say that all of Live cant be seen as an instrument...it also comes stocked with some nifty FX like beat repeat which are ideal for electronic music

In truth hardware like APC's and novations launchpad are meant for the live musician, not to say they cant be used in the studio, they can its just not their primary purpose...youd maybe get more legs out of an MPD or PadKontrol

Ableton can has two views, it can track like Reaper/protools/cubase et al or it can trigger scenes as mentioned...for me that makes it a great tool for someone regardless of genre if anything loop based can be used in their set up

as for "boomchickboomchickboomchick" people, I make all my music in Ableton...its electronic but Ive made guitar tracks in there and you wouldnt dance to my stuff..this was just finished two weeks ago

Awesome.

Preparing for live playing is what's got me interested in ableton and the apc. And now knowing that I can trigger in anything from oneshots to full songs, it seems really interesting.

I just wanted to understand its capabilities and make sure that it would have a use before i went out and bought it.
From what i've read it seems like a lot of people use it to sketch out song ideas.

And it's so relieving to hear good music made in ableton :)
I've sort of peripherally known of people who use it, and theyve all made the most generic sounds ive ever heard. but i guess it's kind of like how there are tons of generic guitar players.

Thanks

Awesome.

Preparing for live playing is what's got me interested in ableton and the apc. And now knowing that I can trigger in anything from oneshots to full songs, it seems really interesting.

I just wanted to understand its capabilities and make sure that it would have a use before i went out and bought it.
From what i've read it seems like a lot of people use it to sketch out song ideas.

And it's so relieving to hear good music made in ableton :)
I've sort of peripherally known of people who use it, and theyve all made the most generic sounds ive ever heard. but i guess it's kind of like how there are tons of generic guitar players.

Thanks

no probs...Im not an expert but I know my way around it so anything i can help with just holler

many dabblers will use it thinking its a step up from FL so you will hear a lot of shite produced on it but thats not because of the software..I find it awesome...Ive no idea if id still be making music or have gotten as far as i have if I was still on sonar...once you get a grip of its workflow other DAWs feel like running through mud

for sketches and mixing ideas together nothing beats it, its called Live for a reason too, and nearly every EDM producer has it in their arsenal...but its better alongside another daw, its mixing abilities are a bit toytown and some of its midi capabilities are left wanting...alongside cubase it will be perfect...arrange, play live in ableton, mix/master in cubase

:)

thanks for the help kc :D
I'm pretty excited to get my hands on something new and figure it out

i'm sure i'll have plenty of questions once i get it going :p

thanks for the help kc :D
I'm pretty excited to get my hands on something new and figure it out

i'm sure i'll have plenty of questions once i get it going :p

yeah Im the same with Maschine just now...didnt know it could control ableton like an APC too...bonus :)

yeah Im the same with Maschine just now...didnt know it could control ableton like an APC too...bonus :)

yeah that's what finally gave my the ok to go ahead with an apc. "if i could figure this out, and it can control ableton too... maybe i CAN finally get an apc and figure out what its about"

i'm waiting until january anyway but it looks like a launchpad and a zero sl mkII might be better for me.

the fact that i could use the zero mkII transport buttons for cubase, and as a traditional control surface seems pretty stellar. so does that speed dial thing.
instant plugin control.

and being able to map qwerty keyboard shortcuts to the launchpad?!
yikes

Last edited:
I have an APC....you can trigger one-shots?

EDIT: You cannn trigger oneshots...I need to wake up and think, lol.

Back