Help!! CPU problems. Need mono Piano VST (or other advice)

Liney

Hi,

I have a home studio set-up which is great, but I recently bought a netbook (Samsung N145) and a small midi USB keyboard for composing/arranging on the go. The keyboard came with Ableton Live Lite, so I've been using that.

My needs are very simple. I just want to be able to record and edit two midi tracks using a piano VST. One track for chords, one for top line melody. But even that is causing the netbook to overload - it cant handle it.

Is there somewhere where I can download a simple mono piano instrument to use, as this might reduce the load compared to the stereo one that is included with Ableton.

Any other tips on reducing CPU load greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Liney
Liney

Hi,

I have a home studio set-up which is great, but I recently bought a netbook (Samsung N145) and a small midi USB keyboard for composing/arranging on the go. The keyboard came with Ableton Live Lite, so I've been using that.

My needs are very simple. I just want to be able to record and edit two midi tracks using a piano VST. One track for chords, one for top line melody. But even that is causing the netbook to overload - it cant handle it.

Is there somewhere where I can download a simple mono piano instrument to use, as this might reduce the load compared to the stereo one that is included with Ableton.

Any other tips on reducing CPU load greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Liney
Liney

An outboard audio interface, even the cheapest, would really help

Also what have you got the latency set to?....i have a small netbook and i can manage some pretty large projects on it by using the freeze option...the piano that you have with lite is most likely a sampled piano and it wont be spiking your cpu, your inferior on board soundcard most likely is imo

Since it's a single core CPU (I'm assuming), it's going to have a difficult time managing any type of vst due to how much processing power one needs. An outboard soundcard would help (using ASIO Drivers too). Like kcearl said above, freeze option is your friend.

yeah if its single core its gonna struggle with anything...my netbooks a dual 1.66 Ghz...the extra core sure helps

yeah if its single core its gonna struggle with anything...my netbooks a dual 1.66 Ghz...the extra core sure helps

I dunno - I've been around the block a few times and I'm pretty sure I remember having no problems running Gigasampler with a decent piano on a P4 1.6 single core with hyperthreading turned off.... First make sure that you aren't trying to run two instances of the VSTI simultaneously. That's not necessary - create one instance and route both the left and right midi tracks to the single instance. If that doesn't pan out - as others pointed out - render is your friend. Render the left hand to audio and play along with your right. Nothing is lost as you can always go back and re-render if you decide to edit the midi parts.

I dunno - I've been around the block a few times and I'm pretty sure I remember having no problems running Gigasampler with a decent piano on a P4 1.6 single core with hyperthreading turned off.... First make sure that you aren't trying to run two instances of the VSTI simultaneously. That's not necessary - create one instance and route both the left and right midi tracks to the single instance. If that doesn't pan out - as others pointed out - render is your friend. Render the left hand to audio and play along with your right. Nothing is lost as you can always go back and re-render if you decide to edit the midi parts.

Oh yeah, i very much doubt the problem with the OPs CPU is playing a sampler...maybe a softsynth could bring it too its knees, hell Diva can bring a quad core to its knees with one track...but not a sampled piano, i reckon its the buffer settings or inbuilt soundcard

Back