Getting all the loops perfectly in time

eunice_hairburg

I have been told how to do this and have read / watched several tutorials but I still just cannot GET it!!

I tend to do several different brief MIDI tracks and layer them.

I might do 2 tracks of pianos, 3 tracks of different drums, and so on.

I find that with my manual fiddling with the boundary things in the track once it's recorded, I can get them all to sound in time but only for a few bars, before one or more begin gradually to go out of time.

This is annoying and time consuming, however if I can adjust them minutely to get them back in time and to STAY in time, then that's good EXCEPT often I just can't. No matter how tiny the adjustment, sometimes it just won't work.

If I adjust the track a tiny bit so it starts earlier, after maybe 7-8 bars it is too fast ahead of the other tracks. But if I move it back the other way the tiniest amount, after those 7-8 bars, it's too slow!!! *pulling hair out*

I know there's a way to do it easier, quicker and PROPERLY but I can't work out what it is or how to do it!!

Thank you!

I think I get confused when actually recording the instruments into midi tracks. Meaning, do I have to DO anything in particular in order for the quantization to work once I apply it to the tracks to keep them in time?

Thank you!

I think I get confused when actually recording the instruments into midi tracks. Meaning, do I have to DO anything in particular in order for the quantization to work once I apply it to the tracks to keep them in time?

I haven't messed with Ableton in about a year. If you Google "ableton quantize", you'll find all kinds of advice and videos about it though.

Thank you!

you just highlight the midi notes, right click, the choose your quantize settings...then how hard it will quantize (around 80% is usually enough) then click quantize...

you can also set a global quantize on loops...but I dont think this is what you're asking

http://books.google.com/books?id=Wc...&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Ah ok, so you basically record what you want, and then do the quantize? And if you select the same amount for all the different tracks, it should be alright??

My problem is, I just went into a song to see if it'd work, and they're already quantized to 100%. So...???

What IS global quantization anyway? Maybe that's what I need?

Back