Footpedal into Behringer BCF2000 to trigger Ableton Live?

BookSix

I am trying to use my Powerbook in my live show (currently just acou gtr and me). I'm thinking of using Ableton Live and use some kind of footpedal to trigger Live to the next scene of the song. I saw the Behringer BCF2000 has footpedal in, but can I progam the footpedal to do this in Live?

Or better yet, is there a simpler footpedal trigger I can get? USB, MIDI?

Apperently the BCF2000's Footswitch can send any other data that the rest of the unit can except MMC (Midi Machine Control). So check to see if Live supports controller messages (CC, RPN, or NRPN) for changing parts. Also the full manual for the BCF2000/BCR2000 is available for download at BEhringer's site. If you simply want a foot controller, check out the FCB1010. It is a great unit for the price. I use it to control software and hardware, and it has made my life a whole bunch easier live.

I'm an avid Live user and one thing that sold me on the program two years ago was that you could assign any midi note or controller to trigger any scene change, sample or phrase in the current song.

You can use any midi instrument to do what you're seeking without buying a BCF2000 --- IMHO Atterion points you in the right direction when he recommends the Behringher foot controller...

The thing really is great!!! I bought it for program changing with my feet. Very similar to what BookSix is looking to do. Hands free is the way to go!!!

Thanks guys! That's exactly what I was looking for!!

And if you'd have a second, would you mind telling me some of the ways you guys use this stuff live? I'm still considering getting Live to use in my shows but I'm not completely sure if I should or not. Thanks!

I use Macs but not for music so this is from a PC perspective.

If you need flexibility inside your arrangements meaning the verse will not always be 32 bars and the chorus not always 16 bars, I have found Live to be a godsend and almost bulletproof. By 'bulletproof' I mean it has never crashed or even come close. It is a very well-thought out application with a very clear and easy to understand user interface.

I am just starting to integrate the VSTi and midi capabilities in Live v.4 and am blown away every time I boot it up. I used to do most of my basic tracks in Reason, then blow them down to .wav files for use in Live but now I'm finding myself working up whole songs in Live --- and it's grrrrreat. The only problem is I need to bring my relatively fragile laptop into smoky bars...

Thanks for the info. I have my external drive I currently use with ProTools. Should I use this for my gigs (I'd rather not for obvious reasons) or will the 5400 rpm drive in my Powerbook be fast enough to instantly launch scenes with multiple loops?

I don't use sequencers live (Everything is 100% live in your face). I use Energy XT (MIDI Patching via MIDI OX), and use the FCB1010 to send program changes to the PC (Each program change brings up 3-4 different VSTi's each). Usually 1 program change for each song (I set up my programs sequentially with the set list before the show..i.e.Program1=Song1, Program2=Song2, etc.). That's really about it. I use the FCB1010 expression pedals for various functions depending on the program. And I use a ton of hardware live.

Back