Thread: Converting stereo to mono.

Thanks

Converting stereo to mono.

Sign in to disable this ad
    Greetings,

I recently recorded myself playing a classical guitar with a condenser mic (AT2020), thing is I positioned the microphone not facing directly to the guitar, but with a 30-45 degree angle to the right. It was a microphone technique suggested by someone but clearly it does have its disadvantages.

I noticed the left channel, IIRC, sounds fine, but the right channel sounds "boomy" (it frequently reaches the highest peak of volume, turning red).

I was wondering if there was a way to "duplicate" what I hear on the left channel on the right channel, If I'm not wrong that would be turning it to mono.

I tried with the Utility thing (turning some value to 0% or 100% can't remember the name of the parameter) but with not great results.

PS Excuse my english as it's not my native
    (Ableton 9 Suite / PC / Windows 7 Home Premium / 32 bits / 4 GB RAM)

Thanks
    The Audio-Technica AT2020 is a mono mic so it's not responsible for any difference between left and right in your recording. Changing the angle should have only changed the tone of the recording. I don't know why you have two channels with different sound. You should try to figure out what caused that to happen.

But you are right in that using the left channel for both left and right would give you mono. I don't know Ableton so I can't say what the exact procedure to do that would be. I'm sure someone who can help you will show up soon.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lacatedral View Post
    Greetings,

I recently recorded myself playing a classical guitar with a condenser mic (AT2020), thing is I positioned the microphone not facing directly to the guitar, but with a 30-45 degree angle to the right. It was a microphone technique suggested by someone but clearly it does have its disadvantages.

I noticed the left channel, IIRC, sounds fine, but the right channel sounds "boomy" (it frequently reaches the highest peak of volume, turning red).

I was wondering if there was a way to "duplicate" what I hear on the left channel on the right channel, If I'm not wrong that would be turning it to mono.

I tried with the Utility thing (turning some value to 0% or 100% can't remember the name of the parameter) but with not great results.

PS Excuse my english as it's not my native
    I dont know how the heck you got a left and a right from a mono source, nor why they sound different. Is it two seperate channels or one stereo channel? If two separate channels, maybe one is EQed differently causing the boominess?.

Whatever the cause, if one sounds good keep it, and get rid of the other one. And you got mono.

Thanks
    If it's boomy and "in the red" then it sounds more like the mic was too close to the source than the specific angle. That would contribute the the level as well as exaggerate proximity effect, leading to boominess.

As others said, there's no possible way you get 2 separate tracks or LR stereo with a single mic. If you assigned 2 inputs to the track when you recorded, then it's coming from another plugged in mic, or it's some kind of FX artifact. Pay close(r) attention and re-track is what I'd do.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thread Information