Control surfaces and keyboards

8track

Hi guys,

The Akai APC20 and 40 seem ubiquitous. But what controllers are you using? What is your experience?

8track

Last edited:
I use an Axiom 61 second gen...it has directlink mapping so the faders lock into the first 8 tracks automatically and the transport buttons are mapped too...handy if your keyboards not on the desk like mine

Ive got a launchpad which is great for sketching parts...I dont use it for much more than jamming but ideas come out of using it...for the price is a no brainier I think, it'll be great if I ever play live

I use my ipad with v-control pro...that gives unlimited banks of faders plus I can bring up the PC or instrument screen and adjust any perimeter from it

Ive got Touchable for the ipad too...which does absolutely everything, unfortunately, even with the ipad plugged in, it uses a lot of power and I only get a few hours out of it

finally I use a custom map with Maschine that lets me switch between Ableton and the maschine software with the press of a button, its pretty damned good too

Id say if you have an ipad you may not actually need anything else, however I like physical buttons and I think either the APC or launchpad would do fine too, imho

Thanks Kcearl,
Very interesting what others use and find the best. Thanks for sharing.
8Track.

I'm not up to the level of needing a full-on controller yet, so I just use an MPK61 keyboard MIDI controller and like it a lot, though it has fairly "stiff" keys.
I play bass guitar (aggressive style player, so have strong fingers) so it's not a big issue for me, but I can easily see where it might annoy others.
But it is a solidly built keyboard, and should survive my heavy-handed playing for a long time.
The MIDI mapping is easy enough, but still working on it to get it where I want it, and not where Ableton or Akai want it mapped.
And using the Vyzex program is a huge bonus for such things (free program that lets you reconfigure the Akai any way you want with a GUI on your monitor).
The drum pads are as bad/good as some say it is. I don't use them much, as I prefer just using the white/black keys for drums & percussion stuff.
Sometimes the pads work very well, and sometimes not so much, so I just kind of avoid using them.

Back