bass dynamics and compression

palmersutra25

ok, i know i've posted a question regarding bass before on here, but i need help with something new.

basically, in a new track im working on, the lower the bass note i play, the quieter the signal. i know this goes without saying as the lower notes obviously have lower frequencies, and thus are less audible to our ears, but is there any way i can balance it out, and boost those lower frequencies so that they are as fat as the higher notes? i know that a compressor can do this, but im not sure what kinds of settings to use, or if there are any other dynamic processors or techniques i can use.

cheers guys, any help would be much appreciated.

Compressor is the way to go. Insert on the track and (watch the bitching start) try some presets to get a feel for what they do. Pick one you like and tweak to taste. Simply put, a compressor makes loud sounds quieter and quiet sounds lounder (more bitching will start now) but that's a very simple way of putting it.

Washburn said:
Compressor is the way to go.

Is it?...bitchbitchbitch..... :p
...the lower the bass note i play, the quieter the signal. i know this goes without saying as the lower notes obviously have lower frequencies, and thus are less audible to our ears, ...
Hmm. I don't even quite agree that's the case.. but anyway :)
Have you gone to eq as a means of balancing yet? (I'd think there first, then comp.
In addition, comp very often alters the shape and feel of the notes, something you may or not want to add to the soup along the way.
Last re eq + comp especially in the low frequencies- or in this case of knocking the mid bands down, eq pre or post compression sequence alters what the compressor 'sees first (or doesn't)- is also a tone and compressor reaction choice.

..I know I know. All this flys in the face of 'what the hell difference does this make? We're gona smash the shit out of everything anyway.

thanks guys, ive tried the different presets, and having a play around, but i cant seem to fix the problem. does anyone have any recommended settings?

im not sure I'd use a straight forward compressor for this, especially some random setting someone gives you

youve got to remember there is a cut off point both with your monitoring and your ears thats [perhaps making this signal seem low...it may only be perceived through your monitoring chain...how is it sounding on other systems,in the car etc??

I would trim the sub off to around 30-40hz then maybe give its a little boost around the 100hz range (make sure its not canceling out your kick) and see if its the push you need....also a tiny touch of distortion could help it push through the mix..are you sidechaning your kick to the sub?

there are plugs like MaxxBass from Waves that would maybe work...but theyre not cheap...try Dada Lifes sausage fattener..its cheap and uses some distortion/compression/limiting jiggery pokery to fatten up bass sounds or add more colour

One more thing palmer...you seem to dwell on the bass a lot, I know its important but sometimes the biggest bass sound is not really one you need, just one you can hear, and 9/10 that comes down to EQing

:)

Back