ableton live/ harddrive question

47ronin

i want to add an external hard drive to use with ableton and reason. ive got a g4 powerbook 867/640mb ram. i use the one firewire port for the maudio soundcard thing. so it looks like i will have to use usb for the hard drive. to be honest i am not sure whether these are usb1 or 2...basically i would like to know whether a usb drive can handle the task of working with ableton live. thanks

47ronin

I'm not an authority, but I think once the experts weigh in you'll be getting a lot of "No Way"s. USB, even 2.0, isn't fast enough to handle recording, much less the digital muggery that I would imagine Live pulls. The best way to go will always be internal or, failing that, firewire.

You should be able to determine the version number for your USB ports by looking on your Mac. In OS9, you open apple menu>system profiler>devices and volumes and look for the version number next to the USB port listing. I'm not a frequent OSX user but I assume there is a similar way to determine this information. Having said that, I would also guess that USB would be too slow for audio. Maybe you should check into the possibility of getting a firewire hub to expand the number of available firewire ports. It should work in theory, although you should see if your M-Audio interface needs to be plugged directly into a firewire port on the laptop itself. The same applies to an external firewire drive.

Back