Ableton live 8 lite + Focusrite Scarlett + pentium i7 8 gig ram = LATENCY

Firestorm79

Ok guys I don't think I fully understand latency yet. I understand it's the delay between the action of playing/producing the sound and for the ear to actually hear the sound.

I'm using the bundled ableton live 8 lite that came with my scarlett 8i6. I laid down the first track (guitar part) stick in some midi drums and bass. composed several 'scenes' then stuck them all together in the arrangement view.

Now I wanted record another guitar part in arrangement view and vocals in arrangement view whilst listening to the backing track through my headphones (attached to the Focusrite), but there's always a bit of lag on the overlaid track. The lead guitar is always a bit behind the backing track as are the vocals.

There's obviously some latency when I'm monitoring the backing track and recording the new track. Also when I play the guitar and monitor through the DAW (as opposed to direct monitoring through the Scarlett) there's a doubling effect, which I believe is also due to latency. Are these two different types of latency? If so how do I reduce them to near-zero? I should think with the beastly computer I am using there shouldn't be any CPU issues.

Please tell me step by step how to reduce this latency (I know it's in the preference screen, but I can't seem to alter the buffer size). There's also an option through the Focusrite interface to change the buffer size, but this is measured in ms as opposed to sample size so I don't know whether to reduce that or increases it! And does that only effect the latency between the audio interface and the instrument (which is fine I think as I don't hear any doubling when listening to direct monitoring).

Help! Latency is killing me!

Get the scarlet down to around 10ms then see if you can bring it down further by checking if you get any pops or crackles...but to be honest anything under 10 should sound pretty spot on (check that Abletons preferences are the same)

buffer size I prefer around 256 with a guitar but I can manage on 512....

try that and report back if youre still getting a problem with latency

The buffer size is controlled by the audio interface on my set up (Windows Vista using a m-Audio 2496 PCI card).
I can't adjust the buffer size from within Ableton, but when I change it using the Delta Control Panel (part of the m-Audio driver software) it changes the settings in Ableton to match it.
(*I only add that in case the settings are greyed out in Ableton for you, like they are for me)
I use the ASIO drivers from m-Audio, rather than MME/Direct X drivers, too (**only matters if you are using Windows, and not Mac OS)

The Input Latency is 6.78ms, and the Output Latency is 6.44ms, for a total latency of 13.22ms.
I then adjust the Driver Error Compensation to -14ms get it as close to 0ms Overall Latency as I can.
I'm running at 256 samples also and, with it running this way, I have no perceptible latency while either playing my bass guitar into Ableton, or while using my MPK61, and never have an issue with crackling/popping.

The driver download page for your Focusrite hardware is here:

http://us.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+8i6

Back