Ableton....

all the talk of reaper made me think id dowload it and give it another look over...fired it up and it turns out Ive had it installed for 211 days and they want their $60 :)

oops...i think Ill just uninstall that :D

An electronic music-producing friend demoed Ableton for me on Thursday and my jaw dropped. I need this program!

it would make more folks jaws drop if they could just get their head around it....since I got it last August every DAW i see just seems uninspiring..

I'm almost finished on my first song with it. I got it the other day, and "got my head around it" (kc ;)) quick enough to have a 9 minute trance song (ie. all MIDI) pretty much done. Once you've learned another DAW (Pro Tools for me), it's a walk in the park to understand this. I'll post it in the clinic once it's polished, not that anybody here will listen to trance music :p

ill listen...:)

yeah its pretty intuitive...did you use the scene view to build it?

Thanks KC :)

Em, I couldn't tell you :o I'd call them the mix and edit windows (like pro tools)... I came up with the clips (auditioning/trying stuff out) in the mix window, and then dragged them over to the edit window, and edited the clips further from there where needed. Drew in all the automation there etc.

There's probably better ways to do most of what I did, but I didn't want to learn by strict rules, I just wanted to start making music with it straight away and learn-by-doing.

As for the whole intuition thing, yeah it's pretty spot on in some respects. The handiest thing I found was clicking a parameter, and then that parameter showing the relative automation lane on the track in the edit window. Genius. I'm used to Pro Tools... Globally enabling the automation for that type of parameter, enabling that parameter, setting the mode etc. etc. etc.

I've tried Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, and Reason for this kind of music before. This is the first one I give my thumbs up to. For "regular" music, I'd stick with Pro Tools. As much as I hate to admit it, it does the job, and I know it very well.

Last edited:
yeah I always thought id stick with sonar for regular stuff but ive pretty much jacked that in altogether...and I bloody invested a bit of time in that programme...mind you compared to ableton I find all regular DAWs like running through mud..I haven tried pro tools or any of the Mac ones but Ive demod just about everything else...Studio One and Samplitude were half decent mind you

anyway speaking of electronic music I just bought one of these...quite the toy :)

[video=youtube;<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Zn4D79Jgn_4&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Zn4D79Jgn_4&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>]video[/video]

same filter as the MS-10 & MS-20!

so many people can not get used to ableton after learning a "standard" DAW ableton is what i learnt on, and id never really use anything else, i use it for all my mixing tasks aswell as making electronic music, it seems to be the idea of the scene view or "mix" view which phil called it,

but yeah its fuckin lethal, ive been dying to buy 8 since it came out but i havent the money so im still using live 7

yeah I always thought id stick with sonar for regular stuff but ive pretty much jacked that in altogether...and I bloody invested a bit of time in that programme...mind you compared to ableton I find all regular DAWs like running through mud..I haven tried pro tools or any of the Mac ones but Ive demod just about everything else...Studio One and Samplitude were half decent mind you

anyway speaking of electronic music I just bought one of these...quite the toy :)

[video=youtube;<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Zn4D79Jgn_4&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Zn4D79Jgn_4&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>]video[/video]

same filter as the MS-10 & MS-20!

I'd have so much fun with that thing... I want one!

i'm saving up for live 8 now. all you schoolers ableton has an educational box version on their website for 329, and they email you a dl link so you can start right away. i cannot wait to grab this, its one of the most powerful music creation programs out there.

Back