Your first job.

... One of my nephews worked for the company that was hired to dismantle the equipment in the restaurant and to clean the basement.
I'll never forget it that he said that he saw hundreds of dead rats in the basement of that restaurant.

On a positive note.....he didn't see any dead cats.
:facepalm::laughings:

One of my nephews worked for the company that was hired to dismantle the equipment in the restaurant and to clean the basement.
I'll never forget it that he said that he saw hundreds of dead rats in the basement of that restaurant.

I would think again because that may not have been such a positive note. :rolleyes:

First "job", collecting soda bottles on account of return for deposit. Mowed grass, shoveled a shit ton of snow, delivered newspapers. 10 yrs old, once ate one of them pink pickled eggs from the big jar on the counter on a dare from the boys sitting at the bar. $6 bucks if I recall correctly. Wasn't a bad day's work at the time, if you could get it. First real job, washing dishes at my uncle's restaurant. Saturday night was spaghetti night. Learned to hate the smell of spaghetti.

They say there was a time when you get buy a quarter pound of pot for 45 bucks, sell ounces for $15. Not that I would know anything about that.

Back when the kids was kids they saw these little round cactuses for sale, somewhere I can't remember. Pestered and begged for one of them cactuses, I relented. Was driving a VW beetle at the time, terrible traffic congestion. Had to take at turn at full clip. "Hold on to your cactus!", I says. Touchy business. A turn of phrase I still say in similar circumstances, nobody knows what the hell i'm on about. Yeah, I know, cool story bro.

Last edited:
First "job", collecting soda bottles on account of return for deposit. Mowed grass, shoveled a shit ton of snow, delivered newspapers. 10 yrs old, once ate one of them pink pickled eggs from the big jar on the counter on a dare from the boys sitting at the bar. $6 bucks if I recall correctly. Wasn't a bad day's work at the time, if you could get it. First real job, washing dishes at my uncle's restaurant. Saturday night was spaghetti night. Learned to hate the smell of spaghetti.

They say there was a time when you get buy an ounce of pot for 45 bucks, sell ounces for $15. Not that I would know anything about that.

Back when the kids was kids they saw these little round cactuses for sale, somewhere I can't remember. Pestered and begged for one of them cactuses, I relented. Was driving a VW beetle at the time, terrible traffic congestion. Had to take at turn at full clip. "Hold on to your cactus!", I says. Touchy business. A turn of phrase I still say in similar circumstances, nobody knows what the hell i'm on about. Yeah, I know, cool story bro.

Pot was $40 an ounce when I was a kid.$10 a quarter oz. 50 c a joint. Called "commersh" short for commercial. Bought from the ice cream guy in his little three wheel car.High dollar Mexican was 75c a joint. I remember the first time I encountered $10 a gram "Columbian Gold". Whaaaat? Why so much?
:rolleyes:

Pot was $40 an ounce when I was a kid.$10 a quarter oz. 50 c a joint. Called "commersh" short for commercial. Bought from the ice cream guy in his little three wheel car.High dollar Mexican was 75c a joint. I remember the first time I encountered $10 a gram "Columbian Gold". Whaaaat? Why so much?

I wonder how much it will be in my state once they legalize it.

Had to edit my post for accuracy/brain fart.

Pot was $45 for a quarter pound. 4 ounces in a quarter pound sold for $15 each.

In my hometown there was a small Chinese restaurant in operation during the 1950's and 1960's. I ate there often. The restaurant expanded four times in size to an adjacent area next door within the same building complex. The restaurant operated for another 30 years until they went out of business.

One of my nephews worked for the company that was hired to dismantle the equipment in the restaurant and to clean the basement.

Where there's food there's some sort of vermin.

At the theatre we had a "do it all" worker. He once worked for an exterminator and had to go into the basement of a deli. He couldn't find the light switch and when he touched the wall, he said it felt like it was moving. When he finally found the light switch the walls were covered in roaches. There were so many they didn't even run to hide.

I worked with a retired butcher. This guy was like 70, married, would drink vodka straight from the bottle in his car, and had a girl friend on the side. He told me when he'd go into his butcher shop in the morning, he had to cut away the vermin had been gnawing it during the night.

He was retired. But, gave me hot sausage he'd make. It was the BEST.

They say there was a time when you get buy a quarter pound of pot for 45 bucks, sell ounces for $15. Not that I would know anything about that.

I think it was pounds for $80.. ounces for $10.. I think.. I, uhh.. wasn't there.

I think it was pounds for $80.. ounces for $10.. I think.. I, uhh.. wasn't there.

In my day, $10 bought half an ounce. 5 bucks for a quarter ounce---->the famed "nickel bag"

First full-time job, after graduating high school worked a year at a real Italian pizza joint in the mall. Six 8s, 12-8 Monday through Saturday. No overtime, was sort of a mom-n-pop operation. 2 of the family worked every day open to closing, so I reckoned I had it easy. I didn't have to go in too early, didn't get off too late to party and get laid. Really good pizza, and it was girls girls girls, I tell ya.

In my day, $10 bought half an ounce. 5 bucks for a quarter ounce---->the famed "nickel bag"

First full-time job, after graduating high school worked a year at a real Italian pizza joint in the mall. Six 8s, 12-8 Monday through Saturday. No overtime, was sort of a mom-n-pop operation. 2 of the family worked every day open to closing, so I reckoned I had it easy. I didn't have to go in too early, didn't get off too late to party and get laid. Really good pizza, and it was girls girls girls, I tell ya.

Crazy.. Similar to my second job (winters between lifeguard summers). I worked a mom & pop diner/pizza in a strip mall. I did all the food prep for the next day. Came in around 8 pm and left when I was done. Best steak & cheese subs.. until I discovered Hungry Herman's at the U of Md.

Kilo's of commercial were @ $160 in Cali in 72 a "3 finger" bag was $10. It was @ 1974 that I came upon my first opportunity to buy Tai sticks...$180 for an ounce! WTF! A couple tokes and I was sold ..Think there was like 15 in the bag...sold em for $25 a stick. That was some GOOD SHIT.......Never looked back...many kinds of Mexican weed were offered that were better than the commercial , Columbian, Oaxaca, Sensimilian ...Afghani Hash with the Buddhist monk seal / stamp, Hash oil, PCP, Angel Dust (mint leaves soaked in PCP) ....@ 1975 some of my high school mates set up growing in Humboldt...they made a shit ton of money.... Best weed I ever bought came with a full color cartoon poster "Beaver Brand" it would be on par with the shit they call Chronic these days... Each year it would be a new cartoon of a beaver getting high and the caption "Damn Good!" last poster I ever got had the beaver looking up at the sky at a helicopter and the caption said..."Damn Close!" Took my last toke @ mid 1987...Clean and Sober ever sense.

Last edited:
Your story was great! You made the decision to go see The Rolling Stones at the risk of losing your first job. I would have made the same choice.
In retrospect, I would rather have kept the job. The Stones weren't great, I was standing for 6 hours and had to walk 3 miles home and it lashed down with rain !

I'm still trying to work out if that's a good thing or a bad thing ! :laughings:

It was @ 1974 that I came upon my first opportunity to buy Tai sticks...$180 for an ounce! WTF! A couple tokes and I was sold ..Think there was like 15 in the bag...sold em for $25 a stick. That was some GOOD SHIT.......Never looked back...
Whenever I think of Thai sticks, I think of Ricky the Righteous and his wicked basement flat in Hampstead. He was always going on about righteousness but he ended up in jail ! But rarely have I laughed as much or as uncontrollably as I did on the Thai sticks he managed to source. They were a one way trip to Pluto in order to find it's no more considered a planet ! :eek:

Speaking of jobs, I have an interview for one on Saturday. Dramatically overqualified for it, so I hope they don’t pass me up because of that. These times of the virus really has made the job market shitty.

Speaking of jobs, I have an interview for one on Saturday. Dramatically overqualified for it, so I hope they don’t pass me up because of that. These times of the virus really has made the job market shitty.
Hopefully, you will experience a good interview and get hired.
?

GOOD LUCK!

I've been told to my face many times "you're over qualified".

The only job I didn't get that I wanted, they called and said I was their #2 choice. It was an office position for the Metropolitan Opera. If I'd have gotten that job in 1997 I'd still be working there, and living in the same NYC apartment. We were paying $1000 a month in 1999 when we moved to Jersey. It's now over $2100. Our first mortgage with taxes was under $1000 a month.

BTW: For anyone who might be a first time home owner: When you pay your mortgage each month, if possible give extra to the principal, it'll knock years and thousands off the interest you pay. Thankfully our first lawyer told us that when we went to closing. It's invaluable info. We owned our first home for 7 years, our mortgage was $107,000 (peanuts now). If we paid the basic in 7 years we'd owe roughly 90,000 we had it down to 70,000. With the minimum we'd have been into year 12 before that happened. Of course you save the interest on that money also.

Well, I didn't go off topic again. But, that mortgage info is priceless.

Back