Windows 11?

I've been using Edge since I bought this Win 11 laptop because it's supposed to be the safest online experience. Though it's very much like Chrome (built on Chromium) it's look and feel don't appeal to me. I'm not happy with search results either compared to Chrome. I did download Chrome a few weeks back and it was a strange experience. The tray icon was not the usual Chrome color wheel, it was a .txt page icon. It opened Chrome ok so I just went with it. Then last week the icon suddenly changed to the Chrome color wheel but clicking it resulted in being redirected to Edge so I uninstalled it. I still use Chrome but I do an Edge search for it and open a Chrome browser from there when I need it. I use Chrome on my phone and Win 10 desktop.

I read about some kind of virus being behind the Chrome browser being redirected to Edge/Bing. My system isn't detecting anything along those lines but there is the recent Edge crashing thing going on - connected..? IDK.

I switched to a LInux OS years ago. Best computer move I have made. Whats a virus? Whats a crash? I been running it about 8 years. Never heard of such a thing.
Whats an ad?

He's trying to run a DAW and struggling a little even though he loads of SSDs - samples? No idea. Oddly I understand the folk who love Linux but having a great stable OS is great, but Linux owners tend to love tinkering with the OS and rarely run mass market software. I just wonder why they always suggest these 'niche' OS to people who just want to make music. With your historic gear you've not need of DAWs - but that isn't most recordists or producers really, is it?

I switched to a LInux OS years ago. Best computer move I have made. Whats a virus? Whats a crash? I been running it about 8 years. Never heard of such a thing.
Whats an ad?
Linux is fun to play with, but I wouldn't depend on it for everything. There are just too many programs that I use that aren't available for Linux. I set up a Linux box a while back. I'm using it to play with VMBox. I was going to try Ardour, but the machine doesn't have enough RAM to run the program. I do have WinME and OS/2 running on it. Yesterday I installed Age of Empires 2 and got it running. Tried to run a couple of games and completely crashed the VM.

It's good for some things, not so good for others.

A good friend's dad was into Linux years ago. He would close himself into an attic bedroom for days at a time just playing with it and connecting to online groups of a like mind. If you went into that room while he was out, when he returned he would give you a report of exactly which molecules of air left the room and which new ones had entered.

Whenever the subject of Linux comes up I get a vision. . .

a.jpg

Today, Windows 11 Edge lost it's location service. It gives all indications of it being on and working, but it ain't. After some digging, turns out Microsoft is aware of the problem and is "working on it".

That did it, for me. I've given Edge every chance to remain as Chrome's replacement, but out it goes.. went.

Took me awhile to get it right, I don't do this stuff every day, and it's been years since I did this on my old XP and current Win 10 units. After I installed Chrome and made what I thought were all the settings changes, including deleting Bing, Chrome still opened to a Bing browser. I fiddled with that for 20 minutes... drove me nuts until I got it. I finally figured out I had to remove Bing from Startup.

A day in the life. . .

Back