Windows 11?

BroKen_H

Re-member
Just curious. My computer told me it needed updates the other day and I didn't pay much attention and just scheduled it to do its thing while I slept. Next morning I've got a brand new shiny Windows 11 OS., Okay.
That night there were updates, then the next night, then about two days later, and then again a couple days ago. Smoothest transition I have EVER had and seems pretty damned solid.
Anyone having troubles with it? Anyone putting off doing the free upgrade for some reason? Anybody else have a very seamless transition?
The Point
My studio computer is still on 7, and disconnected from the internet. But Reason runs on that system poorly (worse than my old hex core AMD). I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't seem to get the performance I need for big projects. Stuff I wrote and mixed on the old AMD halts and starts on occasion with the new dual Xeon 3.4Mhz 6 core with 32 gig and multiple SSDs. Thing has 12 cores and 24 threads, with 32G of memory and should absolutely ROCK as a studio computer. Reason assures me that my settings are correct to utilize that power and space... So, now I'm wondering if Windows 11 and an add to my antivirus license would be in order...

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
If the computer is relatively old (which I’m assuming since it’s running Win 7) it likely cannot easily update to Win 11.

I have two computers built around the same time, one is my personal computer and the other is my music workstation. Both are running Win 10, but refuse to update to Win 11 because they don’t meet it’s requirements. There were 3 specific issues - CPU, lack of TPM, and a third issue that I forget at the moment.

I did read there may be workarounds, which I’m probably going to try. It involves creating an install disk on a thumb drive. I need to pickup a large enough thumb drive first though. I’ll let you know how it goes.

BroKen_H

Re-member
I custom ordered it last year with 7. It was purposeful because I'd had good luck with 7 and REALLY bad luck with 10. So, I got it, hooked it up and in and running. Then I used my router to allow zero access to the internet in or out, removed it's antivirus and started recording. Worked fine, but when I pulled up songs I'd already done it got glitchy...been over this whole thing with Propellerhead's guys (they're pretty amazing). They think the system shouldn't have been built on 7 (something about improper utilization of /??), and I'm not sure how that works, but I'm willing to try to upgrade . . .especially if it's free. ? May not be for Win7 computers.

Mick Doobie

Resist We Much
I have a computer upstairs that I purchased new about 3-4 years ago, and was only plugged in for a short time(did some work in that room which included replacing outlets). I'm not particularly computer savvy, but I have a feeling updates will require a considerable amount of time. I anticipate problems with the update. If memory serves it's fairly basic, purchased for someone who was temporarily living here to get on their feet.

I still use a stand alone Tascam, which has limitations. I've been considering going the DAW route for @ home recordingings. Open some doors, more tracks, plugins, ditch the shitty labor intensive (and disappointing) drum machine, etc. I don't know, transition might present a challenge. I'm not purchasing another computer until this here laptop shits the bed. Even at that i'd prefer a dedicated setup for recordingings. Dunno.

Probably be best to hardwire for the update rather than update through the router?

Farview

I just upgraded my win7 computer to win 10 (for free), but it isn't compatible with win 11, so I will just stay here.

rob aylestone

None of my video and audio computers have a chip on the list - too old. I've tried all four I use every day and it's tough for me!

TalismanRich

Broken, if I was in that spot, I would probably get a spare SSD and clone the system drive, then do the Win10 installation and see if anything changes. The most you'll lose is having bought a drive ($50 or so). If Win10 doesn't work, then you still have a back up drive. It it fixes things, you win.

I have 3 of my 4 computers that are on 10, but can't upgrade to 11 because they are old chips (2nd and 4th gen). There's no big rush for me, 10 is supposed to be supported for another 4 or 5 years. By then, Intel will have the 15th gen chips out, Thunderbolt 4 or 5 will be standard on all machines, and we'll be running DDR5-10000 memory! That will probably run Reaper 8 just fine. Just load it on your 10TB 3D SSD drive and plug in the Scarlett solo (1st gen) and go. :giggle: ( gotta love those vintage USB interfaces... they sound so cool!)

BroKen_H

Re-member
Thanks Rich! To be honest, there are 4 SSDs in the computer. I imagine I could combine a couple to free one up and clone without purchase... Didn't think of it. If there are problems, I can just swap boot disks.

dachay2tnr

One Hit Wonder
If the computer is relatively old (which I’m assuming since it’s running Win 7) it likely cannot easily update to Win 11.

I have two computers built around the same time, one is my personal computer and the other is my music workstation. Both are running Win 10, but refuse to update to Win 11 because they don’t meet it’s requirements. There were 3 specific issues - CPU, lack of TPM, and a third issue that I forget at the moment.

I did read there may be workarounds, which I’m probably going to try. It involves creating an install disk on a thumb drive. I need to pickup a large enough thumb drive first though. I’ll let you know how it goes.
FWIW, I picked up the thumb drive and spent the entire afternoon attempting to upgrade my legacy computer to Win 11. The initial instructions I had were insufficient. But perseverance finally paid off and I was able to get it installed. Be forewarned, however, that Windows 11 is aware it was installed on a device that “doesn’t support it” and it advised that as such it will not receive updates.

With that, if anyone else is interested in trying, hit me up. I can let you know what worked for me.