Why so many "Visitors" and so few "Members"?

WWLaidback

Over on the upper-right side I see 138 people on the web-site, 5 "members" and the rest on them "visitors". What's up with that? :unsure:

Some will be people just browsing, some with be bots from places like Google that are mapping out the internet for search engines.

One forum that I frequent will show how many bots are browsing threads. There are often a few dozen.

Some will be people just browsing, some with be bots from places like Google that are mapping out the internet for search engines.

One forum that I frequent will show how many bots are browsing threads. There are often a few dozen.

20-something bots and visitors for every member seems a little high to me. What brings that kind of traffic? Is the retention rate pretty bad?

Not necessarily a retention rate.... Remember, this is a worldwide forum, so you have 138 people out of 7.9 billion. There can be a lot of lurkers out there. I browse GearSlutz.... er GearSpace all the time, have never signed up. There are some interesting threads on there occasionally. I find too much of it is over top.

Not necessarily a retention rate.... Remember, this is a worldwide forum, so you have 138 people out of 7.9 billion. There can be a lot of lurkers out there. I browse GearSlutz.... er GearSpace all the time, have never signed up. There are some interesting threads on there occasionally. I find too much of it is over top.

It still seems very high to me. Let's say 100 of the 138 are real live visitors. Why wouldn't they want to register? Are they scared?

It has ever been thus. Whenever I have a particular issue that I use the web to try and resolve I invariably check out a few forums where there have been discussions. I don't join them. Anyone researching home recording subjects will pull up this site fairly early in the results.

It has ever been thus. Whenever I have a particular issue that I use the web to try and resolve I invariably check out a few forums where there have been discussions. I don't join them. Anyone researching home recording subjects will pull up this site fairly early in the results.

I just checked a guitar forum that I frequent and here's the breakdown:

2,493 total
262 members
1,947 guests
284 robots

guitar forum rate = 262/2493 = 10.5% member rate
Home Recording forum = 5/138 = 3.6% member rate and that seems awfully low.

It still seems very high to me. Let's say 100 of the 138 are real live visitors. Why wouldn't they want to register? Are they scared?
The concept of a home recording forum is antiquated at best. What information is on here or any other recording forum that can't be found on Youtube, Reddit, or another social media site? There needs to be more than just threads about mic placement and tube selection to retain visitors. Like an off topic forum that builds a community of users AROUND the HOBBY. A place where people can congregate and get to know each other outside of this hobby. A place where those users can speak freely and really get together and know each other.

And maybe on occasion, that has led to real life events for those users to get together and play music and enjoy each others company while camping over the course of a weekend. Annually. In a central location for users to fly in from literally all over the world to connect with the people in that off topic forum that we used to talk to every day and make each other laugh hysterically without being overly moderated into oblivion. So much so that new users can't even grasp the concept of that idea because any part of what that off topic forum used to be has been erased from the internet completely.

In theory.

I just checked a guitar forum that I frequent and here's the breakdown:

2,493 total
262 members
1,947 guests
284 robots

guitar forum rate = 262/2493 = 10.5% member rate
Home Recording forum = 5/138 = 3.6% member rate and that seems awfully low.
I'm really starting to like this ^^ guy. He gets it.

The concept of a home recording forum is antiquated at best. What information is on here or any other recording forum that can't be found on Youtube, Reddit, or another social media site? There needs to be more than just threads about mic placement and tube selection to retain visitors. Like an off topic forum that builds a community of users AROUND the HOBBY. A place where people can congregate and get to know each other outside of this hobby. A place where those users can speak freely and really get together and know each other.

And maybe on occasion, that has led to real life events for those users to get together and play music and enjoy each others company while camping over the course of a weekend. Annually. In a central location for users to fly in from literally all over the world to connect with the people in that off topic forum that we used to talk to every day and make each other laugh hysterically without being overly moderated into oblivion. So much so that new users can't even grasp the concept of that idea because any part of what that off topic forum used to be has been erased from the internet completely.

In theory.
....or something.

I think the real question to ask is why people LEAVE this forum.......not so much why they don't join. I'm sure that there have been more than enough initial sign-ups to say that the retention rate might be the problem.

I have my opnion on that......but it would not be welcome I'm sure.

I think the real question to ask is why people LEAVE this forum.......not so much why they don't join. I'm sure that there have been more than enough initial sign-ups to say that the retention rate might be the problem.

I have my opnion on that......but it would not be welcome I'm sure.

You have a point. I wondered about signing off myself. If it doesn't help me get where I want to go with recording, then why hang around? But then there's the open mic on the prime time forum where you can say what you want, and the mod lets it go. 😉 😉 😉

Oh...I think much of the answer is obvious.

If you go to a restaurant and you love the food...you go back often....always for the food of course.

The food is still really good here.

Some of the servers.....well.......

Hatred and personal attacks are.....what? Something someone would join for or stay for?

Does anyone really think that some of the toxic conversations are worth it?

You can say....well ignore them then.

It's disappointing sometimes when you find out who you've been drinking beer with.

Hey...just my opinion. I'm still here.

Mick

Times change, and so do the means by which people get information and interact socially online.

HR's boom time was probably in the first decade of the new century.

Since then, alternatives have sprouted everywhere. Someone above mentioned YouTube and Facebook.

HR is now much less a place of discussion and social interaction than it was ten years ago. It is still a place where you can get useful answers to recording questions. However, those who enjoy the adrenalin rush of vigorous pff-topic debates are probably better going to sites dedicated to that, rather than one focused on recording.

I don't know whether I have the answer.

I tried to change my account e-mail address recently & received an e-mail from HomeRecording to confirm this by reply. I immediately got an error message when activating this stating "Oops, we ran into some problems" which left me unable to post. I tried sending a message to "Contact us" but no reply.

I enlisted another member from TapeHeads & he got me back on. He said there was a .(period) missing from the e-mail's link - https://homerecording.com/bbs/account-confirmation/palsapal183818/email?c=jLzV_77ii3WR9hFy

If this is happening with new members trying to register ....

I browse GearSlutz.... er GearSpace all the time, have never signed up. There are some interesting threads on there occasionally. I find too much of it is over top.
They are snobs. They were so proud to have 16 Avalon 737's, 8 Bricasti reverb's, and over 150 guitars too.

I dont get it. Is it all stock piled in your mom's basement? Or have you got 4-5 houses too.

What can you do with it?

I mentioned the fact that I didn't have any effects pedals on 'slutz' , and I was ostracized. Eventually banned from Gearslutz because I posted a picture of Donald Trump and said He looked like Angus Young. They said it was political. Never even a warning..

190124-trump-gty-773-jpg.107607
screenshot-2020-11-03-170919-jpg.107608

'Its a long way to the top if you wanna rock'n roll' caption...and i was banned.

ZEE BOYEEZZ double the E, double the Z, double the flavor!

Last edited:
HR is now much less a place of discussion and social interaction than it was ten years ago. It is still a place where you can get useful answers to recording questions. However, those who enjoy the adrenalin rush of vigorous pff-topic debates are probably better going to sites dedicated to that, rather than one focused on recording.
This is a thread about member retention. And off topic forums are by their very nature not about recording. And there is still the same vitriol as ever but if I had to guess it would align with the mod team's vitriol now. But you know that. Also, there's WAY less members to converse with now. And that's true in the off topic and on topic forums. But you know that, too.

Back