Where do you live? What's it like?

I live right in the middle of the U.S., in Kansas City MO. It's...average.

We get hot summers, cold winters, but beautiful springs and falls. It's cheap to live here, there's more land that there are people to consume it (although less and less every day). We have more lane/miles per capita than anywhere in the US. So traffic never gets all that horrible. Most people are friendly, although the crime rate is more than double the national average. It's no so bad out here in the suburban-like northern reaches of the city. There are a few areas of town that seem to skew the crime statistics for the rest of the city.

I live in Covina, California situated @ 20 miles east of Los Angeles...and about 20 miles north of Doc Stawl.. Doc is @ 10 degrees cooler cause he's closer to the pacific ocean... My retirement target is Encinitas which is just a little north of San Diego ...So Cal weather is damn nice most often...

Lived here all my life ...it's pretty chill...but then I work from home so I am able to deal with the traffic that occurs when you live in the most densely populated county in the nation on my terms.

have all the amenities a suburbianist could want...literally 100's of restaurants and stores within a few miles... Home is paid off so just utilities and taxes but it is a bit expensive living here...we burn through a few G's a month just hangin... our damn water n trash exceeds $100 ....electricity @ $250 medical insurance....damn!

I'm moving! :cursing:

I live in Covina, California situated @ 20 miles east of Los Angeles...and about 20 miles north of Doc Stawl.. Doc is @ 10 degrees cooler cause he's closer to the pacific ocean... My retirement target is Encinitas which is just a little north of San Diego ...So Cal weather is damn nice most often...

Lived here all my life ...it's pretty chill...but then I work from home so I am able to deal with the traffic that occurs when you live in the most densely populated county in the nation on my terms.

have all the amenities a suburbianist could want...literally 100's of restaurants and stores within a few miles... Home is paid off so just utilities and taxes but it is a bit expensive living here...we burn through a few G's a month just hangin... our damn water n trash exceeds $100 ....electricity @ $250 medical insurance....damn!

I'm moving! :cursing:

You should move to a modern country with a universal healthcare system.

I live in Colorado. They say that if you don't like the weather wait fifteen minutes. We've had a few days in the high 70s this spring, but it snowed and inch or so this morning. Last fall it went from 70s to teens in just hours. After growing up in California where the weather is so mild you forget about it the weather here is much more entertaining.

Boulder gets something like 300 sunny days a year, but you pay for that with blizzards and wild thunderstorms on those remaining 60-some days. The wind can be extreme, sometimes approaching 100mph. It gets below zero in the winter and above 100 in the summer, and the humidity rarely goes above 20% except after it rains. Living here does require a certain toughness.

Colorado's cheaper than California as long as you stay out of Vail and Aspen. Boulder got too expensive so we moved to another city in Boulder County. All the big city amenities are available in Denver less than an hour in one direction and mountain hiking and camping is about the same distance in the opposite direction.

We live in a quaint old mining town, literally above caverns that stretch miles across this part of the state. We had a cave-in down the street where the timbers covering an old shaft collapsed. It was under a street and an SUV drove into it. They were lucky they didn't fall the 200 feet to the bottom. Well actually, it would have been 60 feet to the water left by last year's huge flood.

I'd say the average is better. Of course, if you have the money, the doctors in the USA are probably better. But the case is that nobody but a negligible statistical minority has that kind of dosh.
Since, through the distribution of risk among a large population, insurance allows the person who can't afford to pay attention access to expensive diagnostic and treatment services, the tiny minority who want to be treated like people whose well being is more important than the rest of the rabble and can pay for it- should be able to buy that. But only after they pay their share into healthcare for all. The only people who drop through that safety net are those who want to be treated like people whose well being is more important than the rest of the rabble but don't want to pay for it. Fuck them!

I lived in Colorado for ten years, Denver, Boulder and Grand Junction.
Colorado national monument in Grand Junction.

Attachments

• gj.jpg
    gj.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
I live in a suburb of Cleveland Ohio. Our most well known "landmark" is probably the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (pictured).

rock-and-roll-hall-of.jpg

Here's where I live. I tell people I live in St. Louis, because that's where my wife and I both grew up (and we still work there). But about 10 years ago we moved out of the city and built our own house in the country. We both still work in St. Louis, and spend most of our leisure time there, but our official address is Waterloo, Illinois (yep, that's farm country). We have a "way-too-big" house on "way-too-much" land (25 acres) and we're actually listing it for sale this spring. We've enjoyed our time in the country, but now that the kids are gone, we're looking forward to moving back to the city!

Here's the close-up aerial view of the house:

close.jpg

And here's a look at our property:

far.jpg

Here's where I live. I tell people I live in St. Louis, because that's where my wife and I both grew up (and we still work there). But about 10 years ago we moved out of the city and built our own house in the country. We both still work in St. Louis, and spend most of our leisure time there, but our official address is Waterloo, Illinois (yep, that's farm country). We have a "way-too-big" house on "way-too-much" land (25 acres) and we're actually listing it for sale this spring. We've enjoyed our time in the country, but now that the kids are gone, we're looking forward to moving back to the city!

Here's the close-up aerial view of the house:

View attachment 92332

And here's a look at our property:

View attachment 92333

Nice! I'd like to build a house right in the middle of a plot of land. Then I'd buy a couple of 4x12s. 25 acres would be way too much, but half an acre or something would do nicely.

Nice! I'd like to build a house right in the middle of a plot of land. Then I'd buy a couple of 4x12s. 25 acres would be way too much, but half an acre or something would do nicely.

Yep, one of my favorite things about living out here is that noise doesn't matter. Drums, 100 watt stacks, or guns--no one complains. I'm gonna miss that when I move back into the city!

Here's an aerial shot of my university campus, which you can see in the foreground here, all those modern looking buildings by the lakes. I live in one of the red houses, 10 minutes walk north of the campus (the picture is facing roughly north):

York-University-Aerial-big.jpg

Back