Where do you live? What's it like?

jonny deep

Disappointing Member
I live in York at the moment (the one New York is named after). It's a 2,000 year old city, first Roman then Viking, used to be the capital before London was. There's loads of really old stuff here, walls, the Minster (cathedral), Roman gates, etc. It's a nice city to live in, very busy and vibrant city centre - you get a lot of American tourists.

I lived here when I was a student - came back to be a student again. The university here is very good and has a great Computer Science department.

I was just wondering where people live and what they think of it. What's your town famous for?

-

Edit - you can see some pics of the old stuff on the Wiki page: York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ive lived in a few places.
Bethesda, MD was really suburban USA.
Highest Jewish population and highest median income in the USA apparently. Haha! I guess that all stereotypes have a bit of truth to them.
Then came Austria, first the west, then the east and now Oxford.
Oxford has a neat inner city but the rest of the place is pretty dreary.

I used to date a Canadian girl and I'd work in the summer to buy a plane ticket to visit her in the winter. Did that for three years.
Dad lives in Lisbon. Now that's a cool city. A city without a waterfront isn't a city, it's a complex.

Highest Jewish population and highest median income in the USA apparently. Haha! I guess that all stereotypes have a bit of truth to them.

I used to date a Canadian girl and I'd work in the summer to buy a plane ticket to visit her in the winter. Did that for three years.
Dad lives in Lisbon. Now that's a cool city. A city without a waterfront isn't a city, it's a complex.

Oxford, England? I know a few people there - went punting on the Thames the day after a big party once, with no sleep. That was interesting.

I just think it's funny that it has this cliché as a education hotspot but really everybody who is not associated with the uni is just an average joe or a chav, so like everybody. :laughings:

I've been to York... twice, I think. The Shambles and Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate... :D

I live in Sydney. It's like most big cities... has its good bits and bad bits. I'm in the relative calm of the "Inner West" area - can see the CBD from my balcony - takes about 20 mins on the train to get there. I live in an apartment development that's a converted industrial site.

In terms of stuff, the harbour, the bridge, the opera house are all famous tourist landmarks - for a reason - they're pretty spectacular, the weather's about the best of any major city in Aus (except for this morning, grumble, grumble...), if you like beaches there's about 50km of them on the eastern edge, all with crap parking... :D

And I have four massive fig trees just outside my bedroom window that house (estimate) 3 million sparrows and probably about 50 fruit bats who chirp at first light while I lie in bed trying to get back to sleep and thinking of ways to massacre them all... the bats are interesting when they swoop past.

That's actually one of Sydney's unusual iconic sites - it's a great place for evening open air entertainment at this time of year, so you'll be in a park somewhere near the city and see hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of fruit bats sailing in across the skyline to roost in the trees.... and they're big mofos... :D

bats5.png <- scaring people with the wildlife... it's what we do best... ;)

I've been to York... twice, I think. The Shambles and Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate... :D

I live in Sydney. It's like most big cities... has its good bits and bad bits. I'm in the relative calm of the "Inner West" area - can see the CBD from my balcony - takes about 20 mins on the train to get there. I live in an apartment development that's a converted industrial site.

In terms of stuff, the harbour, the bridge, the opera house are all famous tourist landmarks - for a reason - they're pretty spectacular, the weather's about the best of any major city in Aus (except for this morning, grumble, grumble...), if you like beaches there's about 50km of them on the eastern edge, all with crap parking... :D

And I have four massive fig trees just outside my bedroom window that house (estimate) 3 million sparrows and probably about 50 fruit bats who chirp at first light while I lie in bed trying to get back to sleep and thinking of ways to massacre them all... the bats are interesting when they swoop past.

That's actually one of Sydney's unusual iconic sites - it's a great place for evening open air entertainment at this time of year, so you'll be in a park somewhere near the city and see hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of fruit bats sailing in across the skyline to roost in the trees.... and they're big mofos... :D

View attachment 92246 <- scaring people with the wildlife... it's what we do best... ;)

Cool, thanks for the response. If you ever described something as a shambles, that's where its from. And Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate is an awesome street name.

I've never been to Australia - kind of always wanted to, but never really got round to it and I don't travel a lot. Obviously, I watched Neighbours for a large chunk of my life. I heard a story (could've been Stephen Fry) of scaring birds away from a tree using a very loud speaker and some particular sound - I'd be tempted to do that in your situation.

Isn't Sydney horrendously expensive? Is it worse than London? I lived in and around London for several years recently. I like it back up north a lot.

I was actually in York just last week. Had I known you lived there, we could have grabbed a beer and talked about the Cave. :D

I live in the South on the East coast of the U.S. It's pretty here. That's all I can really say.

Bethesda is nice but the traffic isn't. Have you been to Strathmore? That place has incredible acoustics.

I live in Old Town Alexandria (Rosemont actually but whatever). Lots of history, old houses (by America standards anyway) and excellent food. George Washington used to hang out here.

I was actually in York just last week. Had I known you lived there, we could have grabbed a beer and talked about the Cave. :D

I live in the South on the East coast of the U.S. It's pretty here. That's all I can really say.

Haha, awesome, what brought you round these parts? Maybe next time!

Bethesda is nice but the traffic isn't. Have you been to Strathmore? That place has incredible acoustics.

I live in Old Town Alexandria (Rosemont actually but whatever). Lots of history, old houses (by America standards anyway) and excellent food. George Washington used to hang out here.

Unfortunately I was just a wee lad with no musical interests at that time.
What's the Strathmore?

Katy, Tx. A far west suburb of Houston, Tx. Houston to the east, nothing to the west. I'm on the edge.

What's it like? Like any other suburban community. Strip malls, tanning salons, at least two dozen starbucks. A couple Wal Marts. A bunch of other useless retail places and tons of restaurants. Mild winters and hot spring/summers.

I live near Castleford, West Yorkshire. Once famous for coal, glass, bricks, chemicals and Romans, it's now only famous for Rugby League and that only intermittently. :D My village is nice, though. :D

I've lived in Ranelagh (Tasmania) for nearly thirty years; nearly long enough to be considered a local.

This should give you a Google streetview of our place:Raine's Ranelagh Residence

Those are some very cute houses and a very nice place.
Is the person in the blue one cool? I like their's the most.

I'm in for google maps!
https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...1s0x476da81269eb9213:0x16e28bb95ab3c742?hl=en
This was one of the places I lived in Vienna. It was right next to the palace grounds and the oldest Zoo in the world

Dryden, VA (actually, Seminary is the name of the little place I live now, but I lived in Dryden for about 15 years, which is probably about 4-5 miles away).....Nothing here at all, just hills, mountains, & rednecks....Lived here all my life, so I guess that makes me a redneck too...Used to be a pretty big coal mining area, but it's just about dried up...

What's is like around here??? Pretty much the ass-end of the world IMHO, I can drive about an hour & there are a few malls, shopping centers, etc., but close to my house there's literally nothing...

Here's a pic of where I grew up, one way in, one way out, while I don't live there now, pretty much looks like this everywhere around here:

Those are some very cute houses and a very nice place.
Is the person in the blue one cool? I like their's the most.

They are nice people. He works for the electricity supply company. I mentioned to him one day about our willow tree starting to grow around the power lines to our house. Next thing you know, he's gone to the depot and come back driving this huge cherry-picker truck. Ten minutes later the power line was clear again and off he drove into the sunset.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...1s0x476da81269eb9213:0x16e28bb95ab3c742?hl=en
This was one of the places I lived in Vienna. It was right next to the palace grounds and the oldest Zoo in the world

It looks good from the air, but I am disappointed that streetview wasn't available!

Back