What's goin' on with everybody

The tree, one of those pre-lit jobbies, it survived the move and time in a storage unit. However the bottom section lights did not and would not light. It took me about 9 beers to untangle & remove the mess of lights, and about 4 more to put lights on the bottom as well as more on the top...because why not. It was worth any amount of trouble. By the time I slept it off, by 9 am the wife had nearly completed decorating the tree.

The tree, one of those pre-lit jobbies, it survived the move and time in a storage unit. However the bottom section lights did not and would not light. It took me about 9 beers to untangle & remove the mess of lights, and about 4 more to put lights on the bottom as well as more on the top...because why not. It was worth any amount of trouble. By the time I slept it off, by 9 am the wife had nearly completed decorating the tree.
Oh Dude I feel your pain... We have one them there PITA trees and this year I about lost my shit. After many hours of using The Magic Christmas tree gun
1671162402492.png

We got 80% runnning and then the wife blazed it out with multi colors and the decorations. She is waaay over the top on decorating for Christmas. Takes up a good 40+ cubic feet of storage every year and she keeps adding.

But it definitely is nice to wake up in the morning and plug all the lights in and smile. The grandkids love it.

I'm gonna update the Tomco remodel thread with a video of the now 99% completed project...damn it was around this time last year that we were finally getting over the Covid...IT whooped my wife's ass,,,made me a bit tired and wimpy for a while.

So much minutia to finish up...

Last week and this week I wrapped up the Pex plumbing KILL ME ...PLEASE! actually just finished tonight...I'm whooped....all by myself....connected a 1"PVC line out to the street...Then under the frickin house for a few days torturing myself...tight down there ...several beams I had to crawl under where I had to let air out of my chest to squeeze through ...a little freaky.....Oh shit I'm stuck, I'm gonna die under here...SHIT!

Well then it was to the outside where I had to repurpose the old Tanked water heater cabinet. I used it to house the whole house water filter, The reverse osmosis, The recirculation pump..OY! run a power outlet tying in from the AC unit to power the Tankless and the recirc pump. Then I had to get tricky and set up a wireless switch so the wife can push the button in the kitchen ...wait a few minutes and have hot water on demand...no 6 gallons down the drain.....There are smart switches but then you have to use your phone, or google or alexa to turn the recirc pump off or on and then off again,,,screw that.. Push the button the pump runs for a few minutes and the shuts off...no brains no headaches...but it took a lot of brains and headaches to finagle this McGyver voodoo magic switch out.

I seriously thought I'd bang all of this plumbing and electrical out in about 5 days...10 days later, at least 50 trips to home depot , 5 hours of googling and internet researching..I'm one tattered and torn 69 year old man...but I made it to the finish line......YEE HAW!

Oh Dude I feel your pain... We have one them there PITA trees and this year I about lost my shit. After many hours of using The Magic Christmas tree gun
View attachment 123947

We got 80% runnning and then the wife blazed it out with multi colors and the decorations. She is waaay over the top on decorating for Christmas. Takes up a good 40+ cubic feet of storage every year and she keeps adding.

But it definitely is nice to wake up in the morning and plug all the lights in and smile. The grandkids love it.

I'm gonna update the Tomco remodel thread with a video of the now 99% completed project...damn it was around this time last year that we were finally getting over the Covid...IT whooped my wife's ass,,,made me a bit tired and wimpy for a while.

So much minutia to finish up...

Last week and this week I wrapped up the Pex plumbing KILL ME ...PLEASE! actually just finished tonight...I'm whooped....all by myself....connected a 1"PVC line out to the street...Then under the frickin house for a few days torturing myself...tight down there ...several beams I had to crawl under where I had to let air out of my chest to squeeze through ...a little freaky.....Oh shit I'm stuck, I'm gonna die under here...SHIT!

Well then it was to the outside where I had to repurpose the old Tanked water heater cabinet. I used it to house the whole house water filter, The reverse osmosis, The recirculation pump..OY! run a power outlet tying in from the AC unit to power the Tankless and the recirc pump. Then I had to get tricky and set up a wireless switch so the wife can push the button in the kitchen ...wait a few minutes and have hot water on demand...no 6 gallons down the drain.....There are smart switches but then you have to use your phone, or google or alexa to turn the recirc pump off or on and then off again,,,screw that.. Push the button the pump runs for a few minutes and the shuts off...no brains no headaches...but it took a lot of brains and headaches to finagle this McGyver voodoo magic switch out.

I seriously thought I'd bang all of this plumbing and electrical out in about 5 days...10 days later, at least 50 trips to home depot , 5 hours of googling and internet researching..I'm one tattered and torn 69 year old man...but I made it to the finish line......YEE HAW!
Hell yeah, get 'er done.

Last Christmas we were still at the beach. It was the second year for the pre-lit tree. Wouldn't you know it on Christmas eve some of the lights near the bottom of the tree went out. I'm cookin' big food, little finger food, and we're having family over. The wife had the house decorated so nice, she says its okay about the tree lights, but I can tell it's bothering her. So out the door I go, on a mission. I go to Walmart, drugstores, this place that place, and could find not a single strand of white lights. One last place, wouldn't you know as it turns out closest to the house, Walgreens had 1 lone strand of lights. I score! Into the driveway, sling the front door open, the wife is standing right there. "Where'd you go?", and I pull the lights out from behind my back. There stands a happy, pretty lady, with a tear in her eye. All is well, and I'm back to cooking....w/ a little cup of eggnog spiked with a spirits.

Remodel? Sheesh. This old house, as I've mentioned I literally took down an old chimney brick by brick from roof to basement, took down a wall between 2 rooms...which weren't exactly on the same plane. Roof repair, framing, drywall work, skimming out to give the illusion of being always one room, running some electrical and coax, priming, etc etc etc. Did I mention the chimney was actually in the corner of 4 rooms and thus involved all of them? We were scheduled with the AC guys the end of Oct-1st of Nov. Heat pump, duct work, and new elec service panel. They finally make a showing near the end of Nov. I don't want to get too far ahead of them because they are sure to fuck shit up, some of my hard work. So we still have the vast majority of our proper furniture in a storage unit. Living like damn gypsies down here in the country. After a few hiccups (I've said it before and I'll say it again, of all the trades HVAC guys tend to think their shit doesn't stink), they finally finish going into the second week of Dec. In their defense it was determined that the cable coming from the pole across the road to the one in the yard was too small and had to be upgraded...which involved the power company replacing not one but 2 poles and additional one on another property. They buried the formerly overhead cable coming to the house not with a ditch witch, but with a dagone backhoe, tearing up a shitload of side yard which I had to level out. Some additional patching, sanding, priming, painting ceilings..and the wife is strongly stressing we need our furniture!....as well as the tree and Christmas decoration boxes. I rent a truck, arrange move help, and just under the wire of vacate notice for the storage unit get out stuff out and down here and into the house. The main living area looks really nice(it's white with stained wood for now. Stained wood requires prepped w/ oil primer w/ open windows for fumes, so will have to wait until spring. Blueish grey walls). Today...today master bed gets the full treatment before "California King" sized bed goes in there, it can't be scooted around once set in place. By the end of the weekend I'll have all bedrooms painted and put together. Out of town guests towards next weekend. I'm finally getting to a point where I can breath. I want to get back outside, even if it is freezing out there. I have fencing to build to enclose roughly 1 1/2 acres of yard close to the house. I don't know the wisdom of fencing in the winter, we'll see. A chicken coop build is on my list, come spring I'll be learning the ropes of having chickens....maybe even goats, but they would need a shelter build as well. Non vital re plumb, electrical I'm the future, adding outlets. What a transformation underway for this old house. I'm pleased.

What I'm not pleased about, I've played very little music in months. If I'm not going to do it I see no reason to keep all of these instruments and gear. My nephew is writing and recording some really, really good stuff. I mean really good, proud of him. He's setting the bar high. But I got it in me. At times when I stop to take a breath, open to it, I hear it. Both things I've had in there for ages and new things as well. I just need a little room, and time for things to flow unimpeded by putting out fires of things that gotta get down.

Anyway, congrats on nearing completion. Merry Christmas to you & yours, Tom.

Last edited:
Reactions: TAE
Yo Mick likewise congrats on what you've already accomplished. Very cool that you are able to still work your ass off. I can totally appreciate the disassembly of the freeking brick fireplace....That was a bold endeavor.

I am capable of doing all trades but the wife knows better and insist that I pay people to do some of the things I can do. When it comes to HVAC...screw them primadonnas! I have always done my own HVAC and will continue that tradition (God willing)

Though I have done a lot of the ancillary painting, I did hire painters to basically paint most of the interior..Two pros banged it out in less than 4 days. Guess what? Not exactly perfect but the finger isn't pointing at me....

6" big ass crown molding with some complex angles...bring in the union carpenters...damn that hurt $$$ but they did do a good job and were fast.

I can totally do drywall but hanging almost 300 feet of lid and then trying to match existing knock down...I found some guys via Home depot and that got done.

All electrical and I mean a shit ton of electrical was on me.

All plumbing. Lordy! FWIW PEX piping is an amazing plumbing system and for me Pex "A" is the best way to go about it. I did use mt first Shark Bite push connection last night when I realized I needed a check valve on the recirculation return line...DUH! Expensive but ez pz AND removable which is a big deal ..would have been nice about 30 times in my journey of modifications as the plan unfolded doing all that pex under the house.

Flooring...Now that killed me I grew up doing hardwood floors, I was a tile setter for 20 years. Nope you have to have Jesus do it. Jesus is a guy I found at HD when we did my daughter's renovation and he did all their flooring, baseboard and crown. Did a nice job for them and was priced nicely. Guess what? All the little minor details where one can do something one way or the other....not my fault .....hmmmm?

Though I have installed and seamed carpet a few times, it's not my thing nor do I have all the tools. Ended up buying from Lowe's on one of their promotions and let their installers install...on a 1-10 scale a 8 not bad.

Replaced all the windows and two sliding doors I hired a helper to install with me...that was cool...

Stucco where we removed windows for the kitchen remodel I did the wire and scratch coat and had a semi so called "pro do the brown coat and color coat....not so great..

My year of dealing with outside help came with a realization that we are living in a woken world..Dudes saying they will be coming by to quote that never show. Dudes that quote astronomical quotes and then do half ass work. Wood went through the roof on pricing. Part of the house has an addition that was previously a patio..... with a sloped floor. When we bought the house 35 years ago we were hard pressed to get the dang house liveable and so we just carpeted it as is and dealt with the sloped floor. Bugged the hell out of this level / plumb tile setter dude. When we finally decided to do the windows and sliders I decided to level the floor before we did the new sliders...(2 in this area). In my brain I had two ways to do it: float it with mud or lay 2 X 4 sleepers cut on an angle that results in a level floor. Being as wood is easier for the tack strip I opted for wood...MISTAKE! What a PITA! AND wood and plywood went crazy...$10 for a 12' 2 x 4, $45 for a 4 x 8 x 1/2" cdx street of plywood....WTF cost me @ $700 for @ 400 sf of floor to level out...Definitely would have been under $100 to float it in mud and would have been done in two days rather than the week plus it took me to figure out how to cut 12" 2X4's on an angle going from zero to almost 2 1/2"...Then attaching them to the concrete floor..slow motion torture.

well it's all behind me now a year of total shit show...not to mention I still work but fortunately I'm the CEO and chief bottle washer.

The wife has been tolerant but frustrated with my music still being VERY important to me...Dumbass joins a Country band and NOW a Beatles project...brilliant and of course I need to woodshed right?

Golf? Oh shit that ship sailed..I love playing but clearly I have too many other balls in the air right now so it has gone on the back burner, Probably for the rest of my life...I'll still golf...but I'll just suck at it...The only way to get good is practice and playing and that ain't happening for the time being....

If I have to pick one other women...( as the wife see's it) it is going to be the music over golf..

So there it is...That's what's going on in my little crazy cosmos,,,,,

Last edited:
When I do plumbing PEX will definitely be the choice. They say take care hiding shark bite fittings in an inaccessible location, they can fail...or so they say. You might not know there is a leak until you have more problems than a little water. Hopefully they fastened that big crown well so you get little to no movement. That and shrinkage can open caulk lines which can be quite unsightly. Lumber is crazy expensive, for sure. I don't know how some guys stay in business having to charge the additional bucks for lumber. I have only one out building, which is fairly large. Fairly. But with all my tools, lawn tractor, this & that, and the need to have a place to store lumber, it ain't cutting it. Plans to build a chicken coop and additional outbuildings, I'm keeping my eye open for second hand lumber from demos. Was at the dump the other day and saw what appeared to be framework from a waterbed or something. Had about 20 1x4x5' long boards and the outside frame of 1x12x9-10 feet. I was thinking good chicken coop wood, but it was wedged in there and too damn cold to mess with. Hell, I'm not above salvaging good lumber, especially given the current prices. Seems a waste for it to end up in a landfill.

I'll keep doing what I can while I can. One way I see it, the house needs to be ship shape in case anything ever happens to me. We're getting there. The fruit trees I planted in the spring are a nice addition if she ever wanted to sell and perhaps move back to the beach. I don't want to think like that, but it's reality. You never know, just enjoy it while we're here is all we can do.

• Love
I don't want to think like that, but it's reality. You never know, just enjoy it while we're here is all we can do.
Singing to the choir brother....Weird being at that chapter in life where we just want to make sure the wife is going to be cool / covered when or if we exit before them. Odds are certainly in her favor to be the one having to carry on. I wake up every day grateful for the day and all my blessings. Just giving it all I got till I got nothing to give and loving every minute of it.

I planned to spend some time today working on the redo of America. Then I started to feel a little like Colin (Retired) as things started to go downhill. First I was watching an episode of CSI, and at one point there was a steady low tone. I start hearing this flapping sound coming from my Vandersteen 1B speakers. Not good. I pull up a tone generator on my computer and feed it into the receiver. Sure enough, the left channel is making noise. If you know anything about the old classic Vandersteens, they are basically enclosed in a "sock". I hop online and watch the video on how to get to the drivers. After about an hour, I've got the bottom off, the staples pulled and the cloth off far enough that I can see the drivers.

A little online research shows that Vandy will repair woofers for about $180... OUCH! It's an old VIFA driver that isn't made by them anymore, but Madisound had a replica made by Peerless that is supposed to be spec'd the same. $90 for the driver. That's cheaper than the repair, so a path to follow. I pull the woofer, and upon further examination, I find that the adhesive that bonds the rubber surround to the poly cone is coming loose. OK, these speakers are around 30 years old. Some investigation shows that you can't just use any adhesive on a poly cone. I contacted a speaker repair shop in Minnesota and they have a glue specifically designed for these cones. It should be here in about a week. In the meantime, the Vandys are out of commission.

I decide to pull out my old Marantz 5Gs from the 1970s. They still work (they don't come close to the Vandys tho) but the foam grill is quickly rotting into a chunky mess. No place locally has any usable foam. Instead, I head over to Hobby Lobby and start going through their supply of cloth. Two yards of a stretchy polyester black cloth should do the job.

Another hour plus and the front panels are now covered in a black cloth, the speakers are playing and the Vandersteens are in the other room, waiting for glue.

The day is pretty much shot. Oh well, I probably couldn't have done any good recording anyway. It was raining pretty hard for about half the day. Tomorrow is already booked up, so maybe Thursday will turn out better.

Got into my little studio before dawn this morning, to configure the new SSL Big Six/Patch Bay/Effects units
for recording acoustic guitar with vocal harmonizing.
I didn't actually record anything at all, just listened on headphones, and was encouraged by the result.
I find songwriting easier when strumming and blurting out whatever words come to mind.
Here is aphoto of what I ended up with:
Day in the Studio.png
That's an NT1A on the right for the vocal, which is put through a reverb unit, as a hardware insert.
The middle mic captures guitar, and is put through another effects box with inserts, to add chorus.
The guitar also plugs into the little Boss VE-8 you see on the little table, for reference when it harmonizes the vocals taken from the head mic.
I do not use the guitar output from the VE-8, just the harmonized vocals.
With this configuration I can record 3 mono tracks:
Clean vocal with reverb.
Harmonized Vocal.
Clean guitar with chorus.

The result sounded good, and I just went through some favorite songs. She Loves You, Hard Day's Night, Can't Buy Me Love, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, CoCo, and one
of my own half chewed songs.
It was generally sounding good. Next time I'll record something.

Finally got a three piece going down here. We got one set down, should be out in a month or so. Might do a one set benefit
and a party at the end of the month. Looking for another member but finding anyone down here doing what we are doing
is going to be rough. It will be easier once we are out making money. They just opened a huge casino 25 miles down the road
that needs local bands and we are offering something no one down here will be offering. They pay well.

Got into my little studio before dawn this morning, to configure the new SSL Big Six/Patch Bay/Effects units
for recording acoustic guitar with vocal harmonizing.
I didn't actually record anything at all, just listened on headphones, and was encouraged by the result.
I find songwriting easier when strumming and blurting out whatever words come to mind.
Here is aphoto of what I ended up with:
View attachment 124973
That's an NT1A on the right for the vocal, which is put through a reverb unit, as a hardware insert.
The middle mic captures guitar, and is put through another effects box with inserts, to add chorus.
The guitar also plugs into the little Boss VE-8 you see on the little table, for reference when it harmonizes the vocals taken from the head mic.
I do not use the guitar output from the VE-8, just the harmonized vocals.
With this configuration I can record 3 mono tracks:
Clean vocal with reverb.
Harmonized Vocal.
Clean guitar with chorus.

The result sounded good, and I just went through some favorite songs. She Loves You, Hard Day's Night, Can't Buy Me Love, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, CoCo, and one
of my own half chewed songs.
It was generally sounding good. Next time I'll record something.
I see a Takamine in hand. An old music collaborator has one he got back in the early 70's. It's a dreadnought - one fine sounding guitar. It's a full body, no electronics - similar to the discontinued F340S.

Last edited:
Update, the adhesive that I got from Midwest Speaker Repair worked great. I let things sit for a day before firing up the Vandys. No flapping, bass is nice and strong. Pink Floyd is sounding fabulous again.

Tonight's tunes are from Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Just got a summons for jury duty. I got my first one in 2008 and I've been getting one every 5 years since. I didn't get any the first 10 years after moving to Florida, then... wham.. I'm in the loop. I don't mind - gotta due my civic duty. I become eligible for permanent removal from the loop later this year - I can still accept if I want to. We'll see what my situation is when the time comes.

I had just finished scheduling a bunch of other appointments when this showed up - it landed right on one of my big medical appointment dates, so I scrambled to reschedule the med appt.

Now being in Florida, even on cooler days, I always wear shorts and flip-flops. That's a no-no for jury duty. I have to dress business casual, which means long pants, shoes, socks, no visible tattoos. They probably don't allow cussin' and chewing tobacco either - jeeze, I might as well get a job :facepalm::p

Just got a summons for jury duty. I got my first one in 2008 and I've been getting one every 5 years since. I didn't get any the first 10 years after moving to Florida, then... wham.. I'm in the loop. I don't mind - gotta due my civic duty. I become eligible for permanent removal from the loop later this year - I can still accept if I want to. We'll see what my situation is when the time comes.

I had just finished scheduling a bunch of other appointments when this showed up - it landed right on one of my big medical appointment dates, so I scrambled to reschedule the med appt.

Now being in Florida, even on cooler days, I always wear shorts and flip-flops. That's a no-no for jury duty. I have to dress business casual, which means long pants, shoes, socks, no visible tattoos. They probably don't allow cussin' and chewing tobacco either - jeeze, I might as well get a job :facepalm::p
I had a job last year in the court. It wasnt my thing seeing all of the desperate people. I gave it up to play summer golf. I have money saved now in life so dont really need to work. Might just stack shelves in the mall a couple of days a week. Would like to work a couple of days in a guitar shop maybe

Wish I lived in Florida Spantini. The summer in North East England is so lovely and warm and the days last forever but winter is so cold and dark and depressing, only get half a life in my world 🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺

Everyone is different with their weather likes and dislikes. A lot of people from our upper midwest states (Michigan, Wisconsin, etc.) move to Florida and I hear many of them complain about the heat and humidity, also saying how they miss the cold weather "back home". Many move back to their freezing hometowns. Personally, I'm diggin' the hell outta this Florida weather. I spent the first half of my life in the upper mid-atlantic states with very cold weather, but not much extremely cold weather, and I don't miss that at all.

Everyone is different with their weather likes and dislikes. A lot of people from our upper midwest states (Michigan, Wisconsin, etc.) move to Florida and I hear many of them complain about the heat and humidity, also saying how they miss the cold weather "back home". Many move back to their freezing hometowns. Personally, I'm diggin' the hell outta this Florida weather. I spent the first half of my life in the upper mid-atlantic states with very cold weather, but not much extremely cold weather, and I don't miss that at all.
I hate the cold and short days, it makes me depressed, I have to take medication now. I would love to live in a warm climate all year. Just to paddle in the sea I dream of. Thanks Spantini.

I hate the cold and short days, it makes me depressed, I have to take medication now. I would love to live in a warm climate all year. Just to paddle in the sea I dream of. Thanks Spantini.
My sister lives in Dubai for 20 years, she said to me "oh you have snow! How wonderful"

No no no no!!!! I will swap her, it is not wonderful, it is miserable!!!

I would suggest you move to Florida but the economy is going berserk. You need a second job just to rent a 1-bedroom apartment, and maybe a third job to make car payments on any new or used vehicle you may purchase. Ahhh... but the warm weather... ahhh...

Back