What's goin' on with everybody

We get Everglades Racers down here. Grey and unattractive and fast as fuck. Great climbers. They have bacteria in their mouths that cause infection after a bite…nothing that gets necrotic but that hurts for a few weeks without neosporin or similar. Last time I grabbed one I was smart and used rubber masonry gloves and it didn’t penetrate before I was able to get it behind the head. My son thought he would handle her and got tagged.

Curiously (to me) they were MUCH faster in grass than on paved surfaces but considering the smoothness of pavement and their means of locomotion it makes sense.

Last edited:
We get Everglades Racers down here. Grey and unattractive and fast as fuck. Great climbers. They have bacteria in their mouths that cause infection after a bite…nothing that gets necrotic but that hurts for a few weeks without neosporin or similar. Last time I grabbed one I was smart and used rubber masonry gloves and it didn’t penetrate before I was able to get it behind the head. My son thought he would handle her and got tagged.

Curiously (to me) they were MUCH faster in grass than on paved surfaces but considering the smoothness of pavement and their means of locomotion it makes sense.
Catching snakes as a kid I would just get a tree branch with a fork on the end of it and pin them with the fork behind the head and then just pick them up from behind the head.

Catching snakes as a kid I would just get a tree branch with a fork on the end of it and pin them with the fork behind the head and then just pick them up from behind the head.
As an adult I still do the same. Except for a couple of pets I had that were used to domestic human hands in their cage. Still got tagged a few times but they are wild animals.

That’s good agenda. In general snakes do not like to be handled.
I had to save that snake. He spoke to me, he was special.
First or second grade, I'm in front of the mirror pretending I am shaving with my fathers razor and I cut myself. It scabbed over and the school nurse sent me home for two weeks for impetigo!

Year old cherry tree in the front yard, mockingbird nest been there for a month or so, little eggs. Nice, I like mockingbirds. The wife and I sitting on the porch watching the sunset, a commotion going on, mockingbirds throwing a fit. Curious thing, wife says go take a look. Only one thing I could figure. I go, within 3 feet mockingbird friend protesting, do something! Peer inside the tree at the nest, yep, black snake curled inside/outside the nest. Grab a garden stake and fish through the fencing and have to pry snake off. Lump further down, baby bird in mouth/throat. Baby bird on the ground, a survivor, hopefully parents will tend to him/her. Threw snake in the ditch, didn't kill. The circle of life, I reckon. Approx 12 feet from where we sit on the porch. Always remind the wife look and be careful where you place your hands. You never know, there are copperheads about as well.

Fine looking black snake, about 3' long.

I was just a wee lad and had caught a box turtle. I was holding him by his front legs and was making him dance right in front of my face when he reached out and bit my nose! I dropped him quick, my nose was bleeding pretty good. I never mistreated a turtle again.

I was just a wee lad and had caught a box turtle. I was holding him by his front legs and was making him dance right in front of my face when he reached out and bit my nose! I dropped him quick, my nose was bleeding pretty good. I never mistreated a turtle again.
I’ve had non-snappers nip at me as well. Never my nose but yeah they get frightened.

The facets in our yard used to eat baby birds. Is what it is but we had a nest low in a lemon tree when the kids were young and I’d occasionally lift them up to see the eggs. Then they hatched. Then one day they were gone and saw a facet with a fat belly sunning nearby.

One of the baby mockingbirds hopped off, the adult birds aware. Maybe they'll tend to it. There was another still in the nest, sun was going down so I couldn't make out a head, but could detect breathing, I think. Wife checked this morning, nest empty. You think that bastard snake came back? It is what it is, but all that time & work to build a nest, tend to the eggs, hatchlings, bummer.

Light was kind of dim but that black snake looked to have sort of white maybe grey hash marks down its length. Not totally sure. If that snake could talk he wasn't saying much with a mouth/throat full of baby bird(s). They say it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.

I took my Chihuahuas on a walk today in a beachside park but not on the beach. I should’ve taken pics but phone was in my truck. Gorgeous water and lots of people and I’m going to visit this sans pups someday soon. There is a wading lagoon just off of the Jupiter inlet, protected from waves and people floating on their blowups. One guy had an inflatable sun raft complete with a Bimini top, ergonomic for either reclined or upright sitting position. It was cool.

Didn’t realize there is a dual 18 putt putt course within the park area. Exquisite but a round is $16. For twice that, maybe thrice now, I could get $40 18 holes on a public course somewhere so IDK. Maybe more now with price rises, but still. Lots of cops and park rangers and even a Wildlife Conservation truck I passed. Lots of barbecueing and families. 👍👍👍 Jupiter in general is not what I’m used to regarding ganagsta and wannabes that infiltrate beach parks down south in Dade and Broward Counties so it was nice to experience the difference.

About time after 2 months being here 😞

IMG_1299.jpeg

Last edited:
Satellite it looks like this. Gorgeous turquoise waters because it is one of the closest spots to the ‘tongue’, deep (mile down) channel between Florida and the Bahamas bank, so deep droppings close which means less sediment and clear, blue waters on shore..

IMG_1300.jpeg

From a wider perspective this is what Jupiter looks like. The beautiful light blue is shallower waters by the beach shoreside of sandbars. It gets deeper quick from there until the Gulf Stream which drops to 5000’ or so in a trench then shallows intermittent to the Bahama islands.

Florida really is a cool place. IMG_1301.jpeg

Back