What's goin' on with everybody

Have spent a couple of days pondering on buying an apartment by the harbour.
Watched the block go up over a couple of years, but only noticed the sales office yesterday.
60 + apts are mostly snapped up already. Went down today to estimate the views, by looking back at it from along the quay.
Harbour View Apt.jpg
Behind us is the harbour. The apt in question is behind that sheeting over scaffolding, just to the left of that shelter.
You cannot visit the actual apts, because it is a building site still.
That's the Lord Nelson Pub in the picture. Live bands on friday nights. Have drunk many a pint in there.
I think I've missed the boat on the apts, but it was interesting looking.

Have spent a couple of days pondering on buying an apartment by the harbour.
Watched the block go up over a couple of years, but only noticed the sales office yesterday.
60 + apts are mostly snapped up already. Went down today to estimate the views, by looking back at it from along the quay.
View attachment 126389
Behind us is the harbour. The apt in question is behind that sheeting over scaffolding, just to the left of that shelter.
You cannot visit the actual apts, because it is a building site still.
That's the Lord Nelson Pub in the picture. Live bands on friday nights. Have drunk many a pint in there.
I think I've missed the boat on the apts, but it was interesting looking.
Nice, but tread carefully mate. I had a couple of apartments in the early 2000's. It was much simpler then but its a minefield now. There is so much landlord legislation and red tape and you need to look into who is the Leaseholder and the groundrent and maintenance charge contract. That is very important because the leaseholder might just whack up the maintenance fees and ground rent hugely after a couple of years and screw you. Try to get your solicitor to agree ground rent and maintenance with the leaseholder for the duration of the ownership.
If it is by the sea then you will get much more money as a holiday let over the year than a rented apartment. As a 6 month rental maybe 600 per month, as a holiday rental then 1200 per week although it will be empty a lot of time.
Just my experience, do all the homework

Best of luck mate 🥰👍👍

I said to my wife your hearing is getting worse than mine. She said what? I started laughing and she says what are you laughing at.
I told her and she started laughing so we were laughing together over going deaf, priceless.

• Haha
Reactions: TAE
looking back at it from along the quay.
Is that the quay of the quivie of the quivie of the quay?

From a memory test of yester year

One Hen
Two Ducks
Three squawking Geese
Four Limerick Oysters
Five corpulent porpoises
Six pairs of silent Tweezers
Seven thousand Macedonian warriors in full battle array
Eight brass monkeys from the ancient sacred crypts of Egypt
Nine apathetic, sympathetic, diabetic old men on roller skates with a marked propensity towards the procrastination of sloth
Ten lyrical, spherical, diabolical denizens of the deep hauling stall around the quay of the quivey of the quivey of the quay single file one by one

The past couple days my WiFi laptop has been slow as hell on the internet - crawling and buffering. Tonight it appears I have corrected the problem.

A speed test on my desktop connected to the same router via ethernet popped up with 355 Mbps downloads. My wireless laptop was 16.8 Mbps (!!) Holy crap, Batman!

Everything on both systems are fully up to date and security scans found nothing. The router is fully up to date on everything.

So... I reboot the router and - BAM! My laptop download speeds jump from 16.8 Mbps to 116 Mbps ! Hooray !!! Not 355, but it's difficult to notice a difference.

I just hope it lasts. I was beginning to wonder if my laptop was heading south like that wonderful POS Chromebook it replaced.

The End

Last edited:
Caveat Emptor, Smithers. Think I've missed it anyway. Took this photo at about 10a.m. There was a lady coming down from London to view the apt at noon.
No worries Ray... dont mean to preach but if you are going to go for a rental property... then by the sea is a risky investment....

This might make no sense but I would recommend buying a solid property cheaply in a very deprived area for a low price. Professional tenants are the worst and will abuse the place more than people on benefits. The bang for your buck is better and the deprived areas are often getting a lot of grants for redevelopment so property values will go up in the future. You buy a place for 200k and you get 800 a month with little interest. You buy a place for 70k and you get 450 a month with people jumping at it. Do the Maths.

No worries Ray... dont mean to preach but if you are going to go for a rental property... then by the sea is a risky investment....

This might make no sense but I would recommend buying a solid property cheaply in a very deprived area for a low price. Professional tenants are the worst and will abuse the place more than people on benefits. The bang for your buck is better and the deprived areas are often getting a lot of grants for redevelopment so property values will go up in the future. You buy a place for 200k and you get 800 a month with little interest. You buy a place for 70k and you get 450 a month with people jumping at it. Do the Maths.
I wish I could be bothered to go back into the property market, but I cant be bothered now. I have made enough money to see me out. I live alone with mum. We are happy and I just want to get better and play some golf xxx and maybe get back in a band xxx

The past couple days my WiFi laptop has been slow as hell on the internet - crawling and buffering. Tonight it appears I have corrected the problem.

A speed test on my desktop connected to the same router via ethernet popped up with 355 Mbps downloads. My wireless laptop was 16.8 Mbps (!!) Holy crap, Batman!

Everything on both systems are fully up to date and security scans found nothing. The router is fully up to date on everything.

So... I reboot the router and - BAM! My laptop download speeds jump from 16.8 Mbps to 116 Mbps ! Hooray !!! Not 355, but it's difficult to notice a difference.

I just hope it lasts. I was beginning to wonder if my laptop was heading south like that wonderful POS Chromebook it replaced.

The End
Im at 133 down and 12 up....seems like a large difference? but all is ok on this cheap laptop using wifi through a few walls.

Im at 133 down and 12 up....seems like a large difference? but all is ok on this cheap laptop using wifi through a few walls.
I think that roughly 10 to 1 ratio is pretty much the norm from what I've observed. I hadn't done a speed test on my desktop for some time, at least not since I installed the WiFi router. MY IP was touting 200 Mbps as their fastest speed in those days - my 355 Mbps today was quite a surprise. I'm amazed this laptop's WiFi connection lops well over 200 Mbps off the signal. That's with it just a few feet away from the router.

This might make no sense but I would recommend buying a solid property cheaply in a very deprived area for a low price.
I watched a youtube video about a £12,000 house for sale in Burnley, Lancs.
The downside is the area was crack-head central, with break-ins off the scale.

Incidently, I once had a job interview in Burnley, a company called Advanced Music Systems, or AMS, as in AMS-Neve.
They offered me a job, but I turned it down, because I already accepted another.
I could kick myself, because the job I took only lasted 6 months.

I think that roughly 10 to 1 ratio is pretty much the norm from what I've observed. I hadn't done a speed test on my desktop for some time, at least not since I installed the WiFi router. MY IP was touting 200 Mbps as their fastest speed in those days - my 355 Mbps today was quite a surprise. I'm amazed this laptop's WiFi connection lops well over 200 Mbps off the signal. That's with it just a few feet away from the router.
I'm on a cable system, and it's an asynchronous system. Download speeds are typically 300, but uploads are 10MPS. Since most traffic is sent to users, it make sense to prioritize bandwidth for things like streaming. I wonder if your laptop somehow lost connection to the 5GHz wifi channel and reverted to the slower 2.4GHz connection. Resetting the system, puts everything back up to proper settings.

I'm on a cable system, and it's an asynchronous system. Download speeds are typically 300, but uploads are 10MPS. Since most traffic is sent to users, it make sense to prioritize bandwidth for things like streaming. I wonder if your laptop somehow lost connection to the 5GHz wifi channel and reverted to the slower 2.4GHz connection. Resetting the system, puts everything back up to proper settings.
My laptop and phone have always been on 2.4GHz, and they've enjoyed good speeds. My desktop has an ethernet connection to the router (showing as wired). The 2.4GHz connection is the default and has always been very fast and dependable.

Well it's been a busy day. Yesterday we had wind storms. Almost 3 inches of rain, and wind gusts hit 79mph at one point. Trees are down all over the place. Over 230,000 power outages reported in the area at one point. Down to 190,000 now. This morning, I spent time trying to help a friend get her car out of the garage, and to move a bunch of food from her place to a spare fridge that's in my garage. I saw one tree that fell on a car driving down the street. A neighbor had a pine tree uprooted, taking out her back yard fence. A light pole fell on top of a car in a parking lot.

Do you think Pop-A-Dent can fix this one?

crushed car.jpg

Today, it's about 60, calm and sunny.

CRAZY!!!

Had 60 MPH winds in my Central Florida area yesterday. Going to the doctor yesterday, I was walking to my car with a bunch of stuff tucked under one arm. A gust hit and it all shot out like a cannon across the parking lot, and I was pushed right behind it. Whenever I hear about this stuff I always think back to my motorcycling days when I'd sit straight up on the bike with only one hand on the throttle doing 60-70 MPH and it never felt like being hit with a strong wind gust while standing still.

Last edited:
I watched a youtube video about a £12,000 house for sale in Burnley, Lancs.
That wouldn't get you a bedroom in the shittiest parts of London. Places infested with rats and with asthma-inducing mould go for way more than that.
I doubt the London rats would even infest a £12,000 place these days.
iu

They've gone upmarket !
iu

I've visited a few hovels in London, grimtraveller. Not for me, I think.
You're right about that.
I remember when I first moved to London in 1969. We were in Islington and the bit we were in was a right hovel. In the 80s through to 2004, my sister and then my Mum lived on the Isle of Dogs and that was a real tip. Before it became the Docklands, for years there was this classic piece of graffiti on a wall just as you turned into the Isle ~ it said "THINK FIRST: MOST DOCTORS DON'T LIVE ON THE ISLE OF DOGS !" Shame they knocked down the wall. It was great landmark if you were giving someone directions. Not that many people asked for directions there !
A lot of east and a sizeable part of South-east London could only politely be described as a hovel. I've been lucky ~ I've avoided living in hovel areas most of my adult life, even if the houses themselves were borderline !

I'm watching ELVIS' 1968 Comeback Special on Public TV's fundraising marathon. He looks pretty much like he did in his movies except for the sideburns. Still has the old Elvis "stuff" going on. I watched the original network broadcast in '68.

I had the Gemini II up on the bench, recapped it, 3 prong plug, fixed the reverb, cleaned her up. Had her sitting on the bench, tested her,
everything good. I took the tubes out to put it back in the case which is a pain. Put the tubes back in and let her sit. I fired it up a week or
so ago and the reverb and tremolo is out. I check the foot switch, it's good. Oh well, I have to take it out again. I plugged the PSG into it yesterday
and I was looking at the back of it. It might help if I put ALL the tubes back in. The tremolo and reverb share half a 12AX7 doh.

Back