What's goin' on with everybody

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Things are far more difficult and competitive now than 30 years ago. And there are jobs that we won't do. The skilled trades are a viable career path. Like I said, I wish the HS had more training for those students not college ready.

I'm just...whatever. Shooting the shit? Old guy ranting?

I think I was just making a simple statement saluting you for going your way and doing well. Perhaps a model or an example of what can be achieved if motivated with the knowledge that life is a ladder of achievement, rung by rung(is that the way you spell rung?). Unlike it seemingly being beneath much of the younger generation, sometimes the most important rung is that very first one at the bottom.

It was praise, you grumpy bastard. I'll quit, you're much too modest to handle it with grace. :D

It's a different world out there.

Oh please, it is not. Cold water is still on the right, hot on the left, and shit flows down hill.

Wait, maybe you do have a point. How much was a college education in '77? Hm, good thing the government has done the right thing in handling a practically guaranteed loan. It's important to follow your dreams, something you couldnt do in '77 at less than half the price.

There is a HVAC and Plumbing company here in Denver that will pay employees with no experience through their apprenticeship program that includes their own financed classroom education to become certified and licensed. The need for quality people with the drive to work is the only prerequisite. Well, one maybe s houldn't have a man bun or purple hair... Though it shouldn't, it may cause a flag...

The sad thing is that I have to train indirect family members to find anyone worthy that wants to work and learn a trade. every employee that I have found since 2018 has never wanted to work. So many expect way too much money to stand around and watch me do the work. Its actually insane to me.

Or maybe, I just don't charge enough and I am a poor business owner? That is possible too.

I have had a job since I was 11 years of age delivering newspapers with my bicycle. Yes, my mom bought me a basket thing for the handlebars, but I bought my own side baskets so I could increase my workload soon after. Think I gave that shit up because it was like $.15 a paper at 4am before school, and I could make more money at the car wash down the street.

You used to be able to work at that age back then. What is it now? 14? And with limited hours? No wonder kids are lazy. They are not allowed to work even if they could. And now giving them more money than they deserve for equity?

Not sure why I ranted here. Probably the beers. LOL

Carry on. :drunk:

Many think they are above getting their hands dirty.
This has been a major factor for me. I own and operate an HVAC/R contracting business in an area with long term freakishly low unemployment. I've been at this a long time, I do good work, and my business has done well. Very fortunate that way. But it has been excruciatingly difficult for me to find entry level people that want to work. The pay is good. It's the keep-your-face-out-of-your-fucking-phone and get after it between the hours of 8am-5pm that's the difficulty. There's money to be made in the line of work that I offer - but it requires a type of centered-ness, a work ethic, an initiative level that I'm just not finding/seeing out there. It's a lot different now than it was when I started doing this kind of work 33 years ago.

Interesting.... Jimmy.... my post above was not a response to yours.... but it sure does look like it could be. I didn't even see yours until just now.

Wha?...you got beers? Let me get one...brb

I had a paper route. Before then I collected for my older brother's route. Since we're just sitting here having a beer shooting the shit....I've told this story here before...

I was collecting for my brother's paper route maybe about 10 years old. Along the way there was the Allied Sandwich Shop. You walked into the lobby and one door went to the pharmacy, the other into the sandwich shop. I don't know if they ever sold a sandwich in there, seems to me them boys just sat at the counter and drank beers. So I go in there and they have this big ass jar on the counter, pickled eggs. I can't say if anyone ever had the balls, appetite, or stomach to eat one of them pink pickled orbs. I was eyeballing them,my grandmother made pickled eggs and I loved them. But these, yeah, they looked a little suspect. Fascinating and curious, but maybe a bit dangerous.

One of the guys at the bar, "hey boy, I'll give you a dollar you eat one of them eggs." I never take my eye odd them eggs and nod side to side, nooo. Another guy, "I got a dollar, that's $2 you eat one of them eggs." Oh shit, no sweat I eat one of them eggs, but this is getting too good. Nooo, I shake head. 3, 4, I think it got up close to 10 bucks, and the lady behind the counter fished out one of them eggs. In she went, the whole damn thing. My eyes watered, partly given the mouth full, and admittedly these weren't your grandmother's pickled eggs. Tears still in my eyes I collected the dough and dashed for the door.

Every once in a while I would collect for my brother's paper route and I would drop by the sandwich shop. "There's that boy who eats them pickled eggs. Hey boy, I got a dollar..."

Anyway, I got a phone call in the middle of my story. Sometimes you step on the ladder and one thing leads to another. Yall have a good one. Gonna cook on the griddle. Fajitas!

This has been a major factor for me. I own and operate an HVAC/R contracting business in an area with long term freakishly low unemployment. I've been at this a long time, I do good work, and my business has done well. Very fortunate that way. But it has been excruciatingly difficult for me to find entry level people that want to work. The pay is good. It's the keep-your-face-out-of-your-fucking-phone and get after it between the hours of 8am-5pm that's the difficulty. There's money to be made in the line of work that I offer - but it requires a type of centered-ness, a work ethic, an initiative level that I'm just not finding/seeing out there. It's a lot different now than it was when I started doing this kind of work 33 years ago.

!!!

Excellent line of work. Everything needs heating, cooling, refrigeration,..

I keep telling my nephews, get into HVAC. One all he wants to do is play music, the other is at least doing something driving a fork lift.

This field has had it's challenges in recent years attracting young folks. There's no getting around it - it's not sexy. But there is money to be made. The kind of money that can help build a future and have stability. And like you point out Mick - the demand is not going anywhere. There is and will be a need for this skill set for a very long time.

But yeah... slim pickin's around here. All of my workers except one are 50+.

Simple question for him: "You like being hungry?" :D

Make no mistake, he's good, and sings really well also. With a little shooting the shit with me over some beers, he can write some good stuff if he has someone to springboard off of, collab. I've been amazed, I'll throw a few lines at him springboarding off an idea he has, and he'll sit and come up with some great stuff. Not cryptic, but not simplistic outright say what you mean either. Things and words that fit well together that make you think. Not work, but think. He went through the program at Blackbird Studios in Nashville as well. Recording program. I love him to death, he's really personable, good heart and great guy, but he's lazy. Because he can be. His dad enables it, and his girl has a good job. In a way I hope he stays just the way he is forever and never changes, but that would be selfish of me. In some ways he's my best friend, I can't stay on his ass even if it is for his best good. What's an uncle to do? He can only decide for himself. But I worry.

Change of plans!

The wife reminded me I have fresh Poblano peppers. So Chili Relleno it is. I don't have gas, unfortunately, so I roasted them black right on the burner of the stove. Immediately cover to steam, and then remove skin. Beef, g. peppers and onions, jalapenos and halved cherry tomatoes right on the outside flat top griddle. She'll get hers stuffed. Oh yeah, she likes it stuffed. Not, not that. In a roasted Poblano, you pervert! Me, corn tortillas warmed over on the griddle. Fresh corn might turn into street corn, or just cut off the cob and warmed over with butter on the griddle. Can't get much better than that. Hm, unless I had some frijoles. I can't be bothered, best get cookin'!

Poidh?

Yeah, I lied, or maybe fudged a little. They're not Poblano. I forget what they were labeled, but thick walled enough to withstand roasting, peeling, and stuffing. Roasted, peeled, and ready to go.

IMG_20220906_192030726.jpg

OH Damn it happened...

Love me some chili relenos not sure how you make em in your part of the woods...out here in Cali you can get em a couple different ways but stuffed with cheese and then dipped in a fluffy egg / flour batter and deep fried...DELICIOUS HEART ATTACK Sometimes just like that...sometimes stuffed inside a burrito with beans and salsa...oh damn it's good stuff... The fried relenos with just stuffed cheese and some sauce over them are good but in the egg batter...the shizzle dizzle

One of my favorite appetizers was a plateful (or two) of jalapeño poppers. Stuffed with some kinda cheese and dipped in a Tempura-like batter. When I would still eat and drink what I wanted, I would pig out on these along with many house brews at my favorite restaurant/brewery - now closed [sigh].

OH Damn it happened...

Love me some chili relenos not sure how you make em in your part of the woods...out here in Cali you can get em a couple different ways but stuffed with cheese and then dipped in a fluffy egg / flour batter and deep fried...DELICIOUS HEART ATTACK Sometimes just like that...sometimes stuffed inside a burrito with beans and salsa...oh damn it's good stuff... The fried relenos with just stuffed cheese and some sauce over them are good but in the egg batter...the shizzle dizzle

Oh man, I hear ya. Whipped fluffy egg with a little flour to bind, deep fried or in a skillet. Stuffed with cheese and enchilada type sauce on top, a little cheese garnish for good measure. Delicious, but labor intensive, battering AFTER roasting, steaming, peeling. Mostly If and when I do it somewhat that way, it's coat it with egg and hit the skillet. Huevos Rancheros style.

Chili Relleno translates to stuffed pepper. You can stuff with whatever, cheese, meat, frijoles, cooked squash, shoe leather, whatever. You can take a dried pepper, soak until soft, and stuff. Sauce, no sauce, cheese, no cheese. You choose.

In the nearby small town where we recently moved, the wife and I went to one of two Mexican restaurants in town. She ordered Chili Relleno. It was ground beef with sliced pepper of some variety mixed in. What the fuck? Yeah, what do hicks in this small town know. A "real Mexican restaurant" passing that shit off. For shame! For shame. We won't go back. I can nail it better than that. Anybody want advice from a gringo, let me know.

Whenever I cook Mexican, as long as I have the blender out, at minimum 4 different sauces. For fun, and all healthy with the exception being a bit of sea salt, which is actually not unhealthy in moderation. There's also the Salsa Blanco, not necessarily healthy, but once again in moderation. Concocted in America and likely the origin or answer to Ranch Dressing.

At any rate, roasted or otherwise, chilis ftw. Amirite?

I'll say something else, and why the fuck not.

Y'all know Mike Rowe, the Dirty Jobs guy? He said something really eloquent...some might say 5 dollar words....and I'll probably fuck it up. Some say you should follow your dreams. That can be a really uncertain road full of disappointment. Maybe, don't follow your dreams. Follow opportunity, and your dreams will follow.

Aaaand, I'll shut up. If there is anything this site doesn't need is someone stirring up unnecessary conversation.

My first job after retiring as lifeguard was plumbing and heating. That local business was populated by rednecks who didn't take kindly to long-haired hippie freaks (me). I eventually left and hired on to the business next door doing roofing and sheet metal.

I tarred and tarred in that job. First scraping the slag with those 40-lb scrapers, then laying paper and hauling 5-gallon buckets of liquid tar up a bouncing ladder. Then buckets of stone to cover the tar. Oh yeah.. all that on a 100º-F roof. I once had that tar splash over both bare forearms.. not just a few splotches.. pretty much cover the whole top surfaces of both forearms. After I finished jumping around and screaming bloody murder, I finished the job and returned to base. When I got there my arms were twice their size due to all the skin blistering up 1-2 inches.

Instead of going to the hospital, I just let it all subside, then peeled everything away the next day - like skinning a charred pepper. All my skin grew back with no infection and there were no scars.

I figure the tar was so hot that the skin blistered up instantly, separating from the lower layers, thus avoiding severe burning and infection.

Back