What I've learned from experience...

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Since I've retired from the automotive industry, whenever I need to air up my tires I find a gas station with a good AIR/VAC setup (difficult to find AIR pumps with high enough pressure and/or accuracy in these parts - but I found one). Most of these charge $1.50 for about 3 minutes of AIR. Usually, I'll pull in, drop my $1.50 and scramble to get all 4 tires pumped up to spec - sometimes I don't make it through the last one and I have to dump additional funds into the monster for another 3 minutes to get the 20 seconds of additional AIR for that last tire.

This new place I went to this afternoon has an excellent AIR/VAC with a powerful and accurate AIR pump, and it's only $1.00 for 3 minutes. Cool! 8-)

So I decided today that I would bring extra quarters and take my sweet time. First, I took the valve caps off the front tires only. Then I dropped $1.00 in and took my time to get the right pressures. Then, with the pump still running, I put the caps back on and moved to the rear tires, where I removed their valve caps - pump still running. I aired up one rear tire, screwed the cap back on and moved to the last tire.

Now I figured my 3 minutes was just about up, so with the pump still running, I dropped another $1.00 in to make sure it would continue to run. BUT!!! - and here comes the learning experience - adding more than $1.00 does not rack up additional time.. you only get credit for the first $1.00 and 3 minutes. Second $1.00 down the drain :facepalm: Just then the pump stopped :spank: I added yet another (3rd) $1.00 and it started up again giving me my additional 3 minutes.

THE END

Reliable "Free Air" pumps disappeared years ago from gas stations. Those long gone air pumps were fully psi adjustable. Collector pieces of equipment these days among the nostalgic crowd who remember the good old days.

I purchased an air compressor years ago for use in my home garage to maintain tire pressure on our vehicles.

Yeah.. when gas stations were actually "service" stations they had garages with full-time compressed air for mechanical work, so the AIR pumps for tires, etc. was basically a free air byproduct. Now that "mechanics" have been eliminated for Lotto clerks, it costs them money to run the "additional" AIR/VAC systems... so we pay. That's progress :drunk:

I have a combination compressor, light, Jump starter, inverter unit that I bought from a fellow years ago for $10. He got it at an auction, and didn't want it. REALLY handy! I was able to jump start a couple of cars, have pumped up numerous tires, and even recharged a phone with the USB port. I had to replace the gel-cell battery after about 4 years, that cost me about $20 from Ebay.

71j41S6t-xS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have a combination compressor, light, Jump starter, inverter unit that I bought from a fellow years ago for $10. He got it at an auction, and didn't want it. REALLY handy! I was able to jump start a couple of cars, have pumped up numerous tires, and even recharged a phone with the USB port. I had to replace the gel-cell battery after about 4 years, that cost me about $20 from Ebay.

71j41S6t-xS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I've always wanted to get something like this. I have a small power pack with USB and jumper system that works great - would be terrific to have that compressor. I see these over at Amazon for $160 - not too terrible if it's a dependable, long lasting product.

Last edited:
I use one of those old style gauges like a small metal pen that blows out to the level when pushed onto the tire. I rarely require air and can do it in a minute with a hand pump if so.

I always used those pen gauges - must've had at least 5 over the years. When my last one wouldn't pop out I switched to digital. I got so used to the little nib on the head for releasing air, the first time I used the digital I was stumped - then a "DUH" moment.. just lightly pressing the gauge to the valve released plenty of air :p

I have to add, while we're on the subject - now that I've located an AIR station with good, strong pressure, I can also air up my compact spare, which is rated at 60 PSI. That was near impossible for all those tired, worn out AIR pumps I was using before. I've only had to use that spare once and it came in real handy, so I'm taking good care of it now.

I purchased one of those small air pumps that plug into your car for blowing up tires. But they just make a noise and you can do it faster with a hand pump.

It's been years, but the one time I tried a hand pump the damn thing wouldn't compress after reaching, like, 25 lbs. It was like a bicycle pump, so maybe the wrong kind. I also tried a foot operated pump that looked like a little floor jack. That worked but it took forever - too small a cylinder, I guess. I've only heard bad things about the ones that plug into the car accessory outlets, though I bet the ones in new pickups are much better.

It's been years, but the one time I tried a hand pump the damn thing wouldn't compress after reaching, like, 25 lbs. It was like a bicycle pump, so maybe the wrong kind. I also tried a foot operated pump that looked like a little floor jack. That worked but it took forever - too small a cylinder, I guess. I've only heard bad things about the ones that plug into the car accessory outlets, though I bet the ones in new pickups are much better.
Yeah mine was only cheap as well. But to be honest my tires rarely need blowing up.

Here in Florida, my relatively new tires lose about 1 lb/mo and I usually let them go for 6 months. This last time (today) it was 11 months since last air-up and they were down 8-10 lbs. My car has an information center which calculates mileage and as soon as I aired up my tires my MPG increased by .6 - which is something with today's gas prices.

Well here in Cali one thing the libby's did was pass a law that gas stations have to provide air and water for free..Now to be clear they still have the little coin thing for those that don't know the law and actually pay for the air and water...but if you walk in and say I need air or water they'll turn it on for you FOR FREE...fer fucks sake!

I have a lot of Ryobi 18 volt stuff and just recently bought this little 18 volt battery operated air pump specifically designed for blowing tires and toys up with air. The ol Ronco thing "Set and forget it" Yep I screw it onto the valve stem set at 40 lbs and walk away it is slower than my big guy air compressor but the convenience is VERY cool and the wife n kids can use it easily if they so choose... So far so good but probably has a limited life span...

1650167172686.png

I love it! I have a bunch of 18 volt aftermarket Ryobi lithium batteries that I buy off of Amazon and a bunch of ryobi tools AND 3 chargers...the latest awesome tool I have is the wood trim pin nailer OMG it's awesome!

Last edited:
I'm using the Milwaukee 18V driver so I looked around for a comparable Milwaukee inflator to your Ryobi and the Milwaukee tool only is friggin' $169 ! Good thing I've already got the battery & charger!

Since I've retired from the automotive industry, whenever I need to air up my tires I find a gas station with a good AIR/VAC setup (difficult to find AIR pumps with high enough pressure and/or accuracy in these parts - but I found one). Most of these charge $1.50 for about 3 minutes of AIR. Usually, I'll pull in, drop my $1.50 and scramble to get all 4 tires pumped up to spec - sometimes I don't make it through the last one and I have to dump additional funds into the monster for another 3 minutes to get the 20 seconds of additional AIR for that last tire.

This new place I went to this afternoon has an excellent AIR/VAC with a powerful and accurate AIR pump, and it's only $1.00 for 3 minutes. Cool! 8-)

So I decided today that I would bring extra quarters and take my sweet time. First, I took the valve caps off the front tires only. Then I dropped $1.00 in and took my time to get the right pressures. Then, with the pump still running, I put the caps back on and moved to the rear tires, where I removed their valve caps - pump still running. I aired up one rear tire, screwed the cap back on and moved to the last tire.

Now I figured my 3 minutes was just about up, so with the pump still running, I dropped another $1.00 in to make sure it would continue to run. BUT!!! - and here comes the learning experience - adding more than $1.00 does not rack up additional time.. you only get credit for the first $1.00 and 3 minutes. Second $1.00 down the drain :facepalm: Just then the pump stopped :spank: I added yet another (3rd) $1.00 and it started up again giving me my additional 3 minutes.

THE END
Out in front of my Local Lowes they installed free air. The gage isn't German precision accurate but it's close.
But yea, dealing with most anything mechanical today, dreamt up by some 20 something is fraught with pain and aguish.

Discount Tire around here does Air Free, you pull up they fill it...gone.
They also will repair leaks free if possible, patchable.
Sometimes the lines have a few cars and it can take 5 to 10 minutes.
I have the cheap air compressors units too..., loud as funk...but works....dont use it much since the Discount Tire thing was found out.

Out in front of my Local Lowes they installed free air. The gage isn't German precision accurate but it's close.
But yea, dealing with most anything mechanical today, dreamt up by some 20 something is fraught with pain and aguish.
I gave up on precision years ago. The old school pumps seemed to do a good job at stopping when it reached the dialed-up pressure, but the newer ones I've used just seem to keep making that pulsating air sound with no indication of having hit the set PSI.. I just pump air for 20 seconds, hit it with the gauge and repeat. When it goes over I release.

I never use the VACs at those stations. It's like overkill, for me, anyway. I got a mini car vac with a built-in battery that does the job in 5 minutes.

air.jpg

Yo Spantini!

Check this out....I know it's the 12 volt version...I have the Milwaukee 12 volt sawzall AND their 12 volt Pex expander tool ( so frickin cool) I am impressed with how long those little 12 volt batteries provide power (I have 3 batteries and two chargers) will buy the aftermarket ones off of ebay when these start to fail...

Not bad for $120 with battery and charger...sure it will do the job well for a good long time..
1650212334573.png

Yo Spantini!

Check this out....I know it's the 12 volt version...I have the Milwaukee 12 volt sawzall AND their 12 volt Pex expander tool ( so frickin cool) I am impressed with how long those little 12 volt batteries provide power (I have 3 batteries and two chargers) will buy the aftermarket ones off of ebay when these start to fail...

Not bad for $120 with battery and charger...sure it will do the job well for a good long time..
View attachment 117192
But wait !! It gets better !!

Since my M18 18V driver/charger also handles 12V batteries, I can just order the M12 Tool Only for $99 !! :P:guitar:

♫ A pumping we will go ♫

♫ A pumping we will go ♫

♫ Hi Ho the Air we do ♫

♫ A pumping we will go ♫

Reliable "Free Air" pumps disappeared years ago from gas stations. Those long gone air pumps were fully psi adjustable. Collector pieces of equipment these days among the nostalgic crowd who remember the good old days.

I purchased an air compressor years ago for use in my home garage to maintain tire pressure on our vehicles.
Plus a decent air compressor is handy as hell for many things.

Back