What did you have for dinner tonight?

Expecting a half a foot of snow, a dusting so far. Got a pot on the stove.

Zuppa Toscana. Italian sweet sausage(I like to add some extra fennel), Potato, Kale, Onion diced, Garlic chopped, Chicken stock, Cream-heavy whipping. Salt & pepper, pinch of crushed red pepper. Garnish w/ chopped bacon and grated parmesan cheese at service.

^That's what the wife will have tonight. There will be plenty leftover tomorrow, comfort food in case somebody might be hungover. :D

Tonight i'm having leftover grilled flank steak(sliced thin across the bias), home fried corn tortilla chips for dipping-->refried black beans, salsa taquera(a bit heavy on chili de arbol) , pico de gallo, guacamole, all made by yours truly except the refried beans. La Costena made those, I added water to thin that shit out, and a splash of tomato juice. Sometimes I add mashed overripe banana, yes, to refried beans. I have a jar of queso blanco which I may or may not dap into.

Man, I highly recommend that Zuppa. I was going to maybe make potato soup, but opted for the Zuppa Toscana. My brother makes a version, and the wife ordered some from Olive Garden through doordash one time, so I have that as an example of how it should taste. I loosely followed a copycat recipe off the net. The recipe called for water, but going by the recipe would have left me with a half carton of chicken cooking stock unused cluttering up the fridge, so in it went rather than water. Because of people shopping for the snow event, and on top of already empty shelves, they were out of heavy cream. All I could get was half & half. So instead of the cup of cream called for in the recipe, in went the quart of half&half, which technically is half heavy cream. I didn't use hot Italian sausage, but I did add a pinch of crushed red pepper....and on the ass end of the onion and garlic saute I literally pinched some extra Fennel Seed. Pinched to wake it up, and into the hot pan saute for it to bloom. Extra fennel seed highly recommended. The wife had cooked bacon for breakfast, so there was leftover bacon, and bacon grease. I substituted about half of the butter used to saute the onion & garlic with bacon grease. Roughy 2 Tablespoons (real) butter, 2 Tablespoons bacon grease. That's not bad considering how many servings it's divided into. Besides, as expensive as bacon is getting might as well get as much mileage as possible. Rather than sliced potatoes which are a little awkward to spoon into your face, I opted for 1/2" cubes. Recipe calls for a more waxy type potato, but I had russet. A little torn there, the waxy would have withstood the cooking better, but the russet break down and add to the creaminess. I lied, I didn't add chopped bacon at service, just added grated parmesan. The bacon was chopped and added right to the pot, about 5 slices. Used more garlic than the recipe, about 7-8 cloves total.

Man, so good. Better than Olive Garden. I considered possibly incorporating Leeks, which frankly I have little experience, but with the Kale I figured greens were already sufficiently covered. Pretty easy to make as well, one pot cooking. Although once you brown the sausage it does come out set aside to drain, after that it's all add this, add that, etc.

Oh, another thing that goes good with that zuppa. Beer. Lots of beer, the night before. A bowl or two of that zuppa sets you right again. I feel like a new man.

We're having BBQ Pork Ribs for dinner tonight. You know what goes good with pork ribs? Yep, you guessed it, beer. :thumbs up:

The wife gonna be all, :wtf:, again? She'll get over it. 🙂

Just had the first of my annual bloodwork tests. I go off my veggie diet after each testing. Last night it was a beef gyro with a side of excellent fries.

The amount of fries included are actually double what is pictured here. Nearly a meal in themselves.

dead cow.png

Just had the first of my annual bloodwork tests. I go off my veggie diet after each testing. Last night it was a beef gyro with a side of excellent fries.

The amount of fries included are actually double what is pictured here. Nearly a meal in themselves.
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Steak ,eggs, baked beans and tomatoes. And I wiped the plate clean with 2 slices of bread.

I eat these meals because I am a vegetarian. :-)

Tonight is homemade Indian chicken curry. Hot and spicy.

Last edited:
A vegan who is somebody who thinks they are superior to others. They believe that the type of food we eat is all down to our intelligence. So obviously meat eaters are as dumb as a post.

Vegans cant wear animal products so wear in large plastic shoes. Their clothes incorporate lots of plastic as well. They can't wear wool.

Plastic use is destroying the planet and probably the biggest source of pollution in it's manufacture and non-disposal. But hey if your as clever as them people that's ok.

A vegan who is somebody who thinks they are superior to others. They believe that the type of food we eat is all down to our intelligence. So obviously meat eaters are as dumb as a post.

Vegans cant wear animal products so wear in large plastic shoes. Their clothes incorporate lots of plastic as well. They can't wear wool.

Plastic use is destroying the planet and probably the biggest source of pollution in it's manufacture and non-disposal. But hey if your as clever as them people that's ok.
I think those people are out on the tip of the wing.. I'm closer to the fuselage.

Oh man the wife grilled a bunch of shrimp on the barbecue last night...dipped in butter... served with a bunch of asparagus , various colored peppers, onions and cabbage all grilled ...It did not suck

HoooWeee!I haven't had a meal like that since... damn! ... since 1978 ! Grilled shrimp with butter, garlic, fresh lemon with a sirloin steak and broccoli on the side.

Hey you lazy MOFO's POIDH! Though I do like to cook and grew up cooking the wife has taken over 99% of the job. When I met her she barely knew how to open a can of corn but that girl has risen to the occasion. She had an Italian grandmother who was the real deal and once I tasted her sauce I pushed the wife to GET THAT RECIPE! She did and the rest is history.. spaghetti day DOES NOT SUCK!

Another thing is she doesn't like to go out for dinner at nice restaurants...She is a money watcher and it annoys her when she knows how inexpensively she could put that meal together...

This was last nights...The veggies are from the 99 cents only store and the Chicken was reheated in the oven from our regular Friday night date of going to Costco and Sam's club Costco wins on the $5 chicken...The veggies were off the hook in flavor last night..That meal for the both of us was surely under $10

Dinner.jpg

That's a fairly healthy meal right there, @TAE. Healthy as it is, I'd have to remove the avocado - I love them but I can't handle their potassium levels. Yessir.. mighty tasty looking.

Tonight, I had a McDonald's Big Breakfast With Hot Cakes. I swapped out their sausage patty for one of my Beyond sausage patties.

I'm a meat and potatoes type of guy, so this was dinner tonight. Pork tenderloin, marinated in a blend of balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and Sweet Baby Ray's for about 8 hours, roasted 45 minutes at 425, then finish on the grill. Baked potato and French cut green beans with onions and ham. Simple and tasty. A glass of chardonnay finished off the feast.

I'm full, and feeling fine!

dinner today.jpg

Back